Active Duty to Guard while in UPT

Guest rangerbob5

Guest rangerbob5

Just finishing up advanced training and was wondering if there was a way into the Guard before I graduate (I am AD Air Force)....I have heard of occurances before.

I know if you come through Corpus, not sure about other bases, they have TFAP. Not sure what it stands for, but basically you can go straight to a Guard unit, if they are willing to take you and if it is their turn to accept someone. I didn't go through it, I'm already Guard, but my unit has accepted 2 guys straight from Corpus. They do a 3 yr tour and then go on. I believe it for them to build hours. If anyone else can add more, please step in!

Guest rangerbob5

I have heard of the 3 year thing...but I would either have fun going overseas first tour or going straight to the guard forever...Thanks for the heads up.

I had a good friend go through TFAP when I was at Corpus. The program basically takes an AD pilot and puts them with a Guard unit for three years as a "AD Liason". You're actually attached to the nearest active Air Force base, even though you work at the Guard unit. It's actually a pretty common thing to drop out of Corpus since there's so friggin' many Herc guard units. However, in TFAP you are not "In the Guard". You just fly with them for a few years and then back to an active squadron.

Regarding the original post: I wouldn't hold my breath. The Air Force just spent a but load of money training you and your ass belongs to the man. It has been done in the past in rare cases. I do know a guy who went from T-38s to reserve C-130Js. As to how it is done, I have no clue.

PD

[ 05 March 2004, 05:32: Message edited by: PegDriver24 ]

Guest AirGuardian

We've gone through several Active Duty liasons since my induction to the unit. They come in for normally 3 years at a time and then the AF taps them for another assignment. I haven't seen one around lately for the C-17. I bet the AF is kind of squeamish about giving us another one of their guys since the past three I have seen either have retired or transferred to us or the Reserves. Active Duty keeps losing them from our station. It's just too damn nice working along side us. We never get brand new guys, usually greatly experenced folks for the most part. They have been all great!

[ 08 March 2004, 03:21: Message edited by: AirGuardian ]

• 12 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/20/2016 at 11:37 PM, hispeed7721 said:

There was a late to rate Capt at Columbus recently who showed up as AD and got approved to transition to the ANG in a C130 unit before graduation. Not as a liaison, but as a full up guardsmen

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

i'm AD UPT bound and i just spoke to the former FS/CC of my old ANG about the possibility of switching components again (back to guard) before/during/prior to UPT. previously their position had been "we can't get you an age waiver, so we can't help you even if we wanted to." well, i got one from the AD, i believe for medical since it was a delay in approving my flight physical. as a result the former FS/CC he offered to push the issue to help get me "home." any more info on that Capt's transition or any other recent examples? need to determine if there is a path before i make my case.

i'm AD UPT bound and i just spoke to the former FS/CC of my old ANG about the possibility of switching components again (back to guard) before/during/prior to UPT. previously their position had been "we can't get you an age waiver, so we can't help you even if we wanted to." well, i got one from the AD, i believe for medical since it was a delay in approving my flight physical. as a result the former FS/CC he offered to push the issue to help get me "home." any more info on that Capt's transition or any other recent examples? need to determine if there is a path before i make my case.

If you want, PM your .mil and I'll try and get you in contact

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 1

• 7 months later...

update: in T-6s for the AD now, age waiver issue is ancient history, my old unit is now interested in having me come there but no one has any idea how that would work. still looking for advice/examples.