USAA

Guest egovolo

You have WAY too much time on your hands.... :beer:

C'mon now, you gotta admit that Rain's post is damn funny!

As for which ones I'd date, I guess I'm getting less picky in my age but there are a few on there I'd consider if I were in the market...starting with #3. :rock:

Cheers! M2

Guest Jollygreen

DO NOT USE USAA FOR A MORTGAGE! Google "USAA Mortgage" and find the first good comment. It'll be somewhere on the 69th page probably. For everything else, USAA is awesome though.

I must agree. USAA is fantastic on everything from banking to insurance. But their mortgage system isn't working right.

Any recent war stories with USAA vs others with car insurance?

I have them beat by what amounts to 200-300/yr with another company. Other said company also had some spotty reviews in that family members had two claims with them that were fought tooth and nail and they ended up not getting full money for their repairs. They were even apparently told to deal with the other person's insurance for some claims because the accident was the other person't fault; that is not how it is supposed to work.

Trying to figure out if the rumors of USAA's great customer service, at least in the auto insurance arena, are worth a little extra money. That being said I haven't had a claim in my 9 years of coverage with them so I'm not sure how valuable great customer service is if I never have to use it.

1. After my home purchase, I'd never deal with a mortgage representative/broker I couldn't sit down with. There were way too many times he wanted more info/to update me/meet in person to discuss things that I would NEVER want to do it over the phone. My broker fought tooth and nail for me, pretty much ensured the buyer and the mortgage company knew their position in the deal when they tried to get out of line. Things worked out as well as they possibly could have. He knew the local market including what the likelihood of different VA appraisers giving us the value we were looking for (as he knew them/their reputation well). My broker and my real estate agent were good friends and worked very well together.

Short anecdote, the house already had a previous FHA appraisal, which was lower than what we wanted (found out cuz the broker dug for the info for us). So we didn't want to pay for the VA appraisal if it had a chance of coming back just as low and the seller would walk. So, he ensured the seller understood that if we went for it, and he walked, he would be forced into finding a cash buyer since he wouldn't get another appraisal that was any higher. Then we found a way to work out (basically an ultimatum, haha) a deal he would accept based on the appraised value so he wouldn't back out. Bottom line, it worked, and having someone right there was perfect. He also worked out some funky situations with the actual mortgage company wanted more proof we would be faithful since we were first time buyers.

As for Rainman's first post of pictures... #4.

Lastly, I've been impressed with USAA's auto insurance. When I switched it was much lower, and they keep dropping it ever since. I'm amazed it's as cheap as it is.

I have them beat by what amounts to 200-300/yr with another company. Other said company also had some spotty reviews in that family members had two claims with them that were fought tooth and nail and they ended up not getting full money for their repairs. They were even apparently told to deal with the other person's insurance for some claims because the accident was the other person't fault; that is not how it is supposed to work.

Trying to figure out if the rumors of USAA's great customer service, at least in the auto insurance arena, are worth a little extra money. That being said I haven't had a claim in my 9 years of coverage with them so I'm not sure how valuable great customer service is if I never have to use it.

I got in a fender bender about two months ago, unlucky but my fault. Called USAA at near midnight was asked a few questions by a cs girl. Was called at 9am the next day and the guy had already talked to the other person and their insurance. I was on the phone with him for maybe 10 minutes. Then got a call the next day because my dad was the main holder on the account and the check was about to be mailed to him. The guy caught this and I said I'd like it to be mailed to me. Got the check 3 days later for a decent amount. I'm now just selling the car and using the money as a down payment on another.

USAA is awesome. Its the ONLY company I actually ENJOY calling.... I mean seriously their people are great.

Edited by cmac88

The can insurance people are fantastic. I hit some nasty ice during the winter and crashed my 4Runner. Initial estimate said it was repairable but the body shop found some additional damage that upped the repair cost. USAA totaled it without any issue even though they had originally said it was repairable. Looking at Kelly BB and autotrader I could have gotten around $4,000 selling the car and USAA paid me $7,000. So all in all I would say it was a great experience with them.

Travelers insurance is better in SC, that's my data point.

I was saving $40/mo with Travelers at my last base but switched back to usaa after my most recent move...BL: usaa prob has the best rates in most states but def not all

Jesus, can't a guy enjoy Oshkosh w/o a bunch of internet frat boys hounding him over a chick???

Whatever. You opened the door. Wide open, actually. :bohica:

Really? Disclosing a personal relationship in connection with a business recommendation is inviting cyber-stalking...? I stand by my initial response: you have way too much time on your hands.

Anyone else want to know the answer?

Answer the fucking question.

Hypocrisy much? Aren't you the guy who deleted his post of the Air Force Times cover w/ your mug & name included, saying something at the time to the effect of "inappropriate to provide PID on this forum"?

C'mon now, you gotta admit that Rain's post is damn funny!

Yeah, I s'pose.... Fortunately (for me!), the g/f thinks so, too....

As for which ones I'd date, I guess I'm getting less picky in my age but there are a few on there I'd consider if I were in the market...starting with #3. :rock:

And... we have a winner! :beer:

• Upvote 2

Really? Disclosing a personal relationship in connection with a business recommendation is inviting cyber-stalking...? I stand by my initial response: you have way too much time on your hands.

You brought it up. Don't blame me for that.

Hypocrisy much? Aren't you the guy who deleted his post of the Air Force Times cover w/ your mug & name included, saying something at the time to the effect of "inappropriate to provide PID on this forum"?

Yes, I did. The picture was funny because of the content but I didn't realize my name was on there until someone pointed it out. Low SA fuck up. Plenty of guys around here know my name, it's not a mystery. Again, I fucked up.

However, you did not withdraw your post. This left you open to taunting in a humorous way. You could withdraw your post and say you fucked up or you could answer the question...

And... we have a winner! :beer:

Hey now! That's more like it!

I've run out of gas and had car troubles. In each instance, I called USAA roadside assistance and I got a tow from them for free. Got a crack in my windshield from a semi? Also fixed for free (I don't even know if these are options now, but they were back then).

I have had 2 accidents in my lifetime in which I was the driver. In the first, a lady rear-ended me (sts) while we were both at a stoplight. We both came to a complete stop waiting for the light to change and, for no apparent reason, she decided to hit the gas (In a bit of irony, I was in San Antonio and just dove by USAA Blvd). We exchanged information and went our separate ways. I filed a claim and the truck got repaired in a few days. The plates were stolen and the ID was a fake, but USAA found the culprit, sued them AND refunded my deductible!

In the second instance I was rear-ended by a drunk driver (again while at a complete stop...again in San Antonio...near USAA Headquarters...perhaps I should avoid that area of town...). The passengers of that vehicle sued me. USAA stood up and defended me in court. The judge threw out their claims and again, USAA refunded my deductible when the driver's insurance paid for the repairs.

Yes, depending on the state, USAA may be more pricey, but the freebies they throw in are phenomenal and their customer service is better than everyone else!!! Even if it is slightly more expensive, it is worth every penny.

I don't bank, invest, or borrow from USAA.

I do, however, have my homeowners and auto insurance with them. I've had nothing but excellent service when I've needed them over the years (I joined right after they started to let us enlisted swine in).

Once a year for the past few years, I get some quotes from other insurers for similar coverage. Each year, I manage to find an insurer who'll save me a few bills a year... yet I'm still with USAA. I think of the money I'm not saving as the premium for the excellent customer service, and I'm happy with my decision.

I'm hoping to use their car buying service later this year.

Edited by JarheadBoom

I don't bank, invest, or borrow from USAA.

I do, however, have my homeowners and auto insurance with them. I've had nothing but excellent service when I've needed them over the years (I joined right after they started to let us enlisted swine in).

Once a year for the past few years, I get some quotes from other insurers for similar coverage. Each year, I manage to find an insurer who'll save me a few bills a year... yet I'm still with USAA. I think of the money I'm not saving as the premium for the excellent customer service, and I'm happy with my decision.

I'm hoping to use their car buying service later this year.

The car buying service is awesome.