Baseops Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest egovolo

USAA

I will say the only product I see from USAA that I prefer is their renter’s insurance. When I compared their coverage with GEICO, USAA had unlimited loss of use coverage due to mold or other reasons. GEICO’s was limited to (I think) 30 days.

I pay $28/mo for 100k property coverage and for extra computer coverage so our MacBooks are covered if we ever accidentally trash them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dropped everything I had with USAA except for checking. There are better rates and value almost anywhere else with savings, investment, or insurance. I like their checking though and the iPhone app is good. 

14 minutes ago, Homestar said:

I dropped everything I had with USAA except for checking. There are better rates and value almost anywhere else with savings, investment, or insurance. I like their checking though and the iPhone app is good. 

I dropped my car insurance a few years ago, Geico gave me identical coverage for exactly half the cost, and both myself and my wife have clean driving records. I use them for checking, I’ll be dropping my renters insurance next month as I have bought a house, they wanted $3500 a year for home owners insurance on the Florida  gulf coast, I had a local company give me better coverage for $1500. 

11 minutes ago, viper154 said:

I dropped my car insurance a few years ago, Geico gave me identical coverage for exactly half the cost, and both myself and my wife have clean driving records. I use them for checking, I’ll be dropping my renters insurance next month as I have bought a house, they wanted $3500 a year for home owners insurance on the Florida  gulf coast, I had a local company give me better coverage for $1500. 

Same here.  USAA is outrageous in FL and they said it’s because of the hurricanes and the once a year free windshield replacement (if cracked).   

I’ve kept checking, credit card, savings and investments with them and honestly, other than checking, it’s because I’m too lazy to try to switch.  

2 hours ago, viper154 said:

Having just lost nearly everything in hurricane Michael... here’s a few tips for Florida gulf coast homeowners insurance (sidebar):

- You are likely underinsured. Rebuilding a house is $150/Sq ft at a minimum. 

- You are definitely underinsured in additional structures. 

- Opt in for 50% law and ordinance coverage. The standard is 25% if you do nothing. This extra pot of money will save your ass in several situations.  It’s cheap.

- Get replacement cost coverage (not actual cash value) for your personal property.  It’s a bit more expensive than the L&O bump up to 50%, but worth it.

- Read the text of your actual policy...and keep up with year to year changes to it. Pay particular attention to named storm exclusions.  You can get different underwriting, riders, separate policies, etc. to fill the holes you find.

- When the disaster happens, and it will, step 1 is read your policy again in detail.

Welcome to redneck paradise!  Stay off my fishing spots.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just switched banking from USAA to Navy Federal after having USAA for 17 years. After my short interactions with Navy Federal, I'm already impressed. Also, veteran's who have a VA direct deposit qualify for the military checking account, which includes up to $20 per month ATM fee reimbursement. 

• Upvote 1

First Command still exists, I bank with them and they extended us two full paychecks during the gov shutdown, when USAA comparatively did not for my coworkers.  Yeah, we got savings, but I was still working every day and having some funds available and not just raiding the emergency fund was nice (especially when the emergency is fucking ridiculous in the first place).

We insure with USAA, one place where they really shone with us was moving HHGs from Hawaii, nobody else would.  I've also heard they're good for financing overseas direct vehicle purchases, most banks are leery of extending funds for a vehicle whose VIN doesn't exist yet at the time of purchase.

But yeah, I definitely agree, USAA has gone way way downhill.  They were next to useless for our VA home buying experience - they call you 'pre-qualified' and won't run any actual numbers until after you've made an offer and have it accepted, leaving the potential to lose earnest money if there are any snags.  Navy Fed was way better!

Maybe they’ve reformed since...

My experience with First Command was them giving us their pitch as we started UPT.  As I looked at their numbers, it was clear that they were only interested in soaking as many butter bars sitting with me in the room as possible.  Compared to the vast selection of investment vehicles available in the world, the rates of commission and expense ratios that they were charging, amounted to a loan shark diversifying into the whole life insurance sector.  Suddenly their uncanny ability to attract the talents of so many retired senior officers made a lot of sense.

• Upvote 4