USAA

Guest egovolo

Guest egovolo

I'm trying to decide between USAA or stay with US Bank. I don't need any loans, just savings and checking. Has anyone dealt with both of these?

I've never dealt with US Bank.

I've used USAA for just about everthing since coming on active duty back in 97: checking, savings, car loans, home mortgage, etc.

Nothing but good words for USAA.

Hoser

Guest GummiBear

I have never heard anyone say anything bad about USAA. By the way, USAA is now offering a un-secured loan of $25,000 at 2%APR for those about to commission. An incredible rate for that LT mobile.

USAA's poop doesn't stink. They're that good.

In all seriousness, I have gone through NationsBank/Bank of Amerika and Wells Fargo prior to switching to USAA. It seems like every month I turn to my wife and say, "Remind me again why we haven't been banking with these people for the past 10 years??"

Do yourself a favor and go with USAA. $.02

Guest PilotKD

USAA is #1. Checking, savings, car and home insurance. I have heard their investments department leaves little to be desired however, but I can't confirm this.

My wife worked for US Bank up until a few months ago, and we still have all our accounts with them. I've got insurance w/ USAA and have nothing but good things to say about them. Banking w/ US Bank though is easier for now 'cuz I'm back in school and its nice to be able to go in and talk w/ someone vs. being on the phone. When I go back active, I'll probably switch to USAA because they're more used to military people and their problems.

Originally posted by GummiBear:

I have never heard anyone say anything bad about USAA. By the way, USAA is now offering a un-secured loan of $25,000 at 2%APR for those about to commission. An incredible rate for that LT mobile.

How can this be? 2% APR I can take out that loan put it in even a USAA CD and make money off the interest. Anyone have a link to more info about this loan? Is it just for an auto loan or what? I currently have USAA as I was a dependent.

[ 02. December 2005, 15:01: Message edited by: ucf_motorcycle ]

Guest Sebastian

It's true. It's called the 'Career Starter Program' but the eligibilty period only extends 18 months prior to commissioning date through 12 months following commissioning date - so it's for new 2nd Lts only.

The answer is YES! Wow thats the best deal I ever had on a loan. Takes alot of weight off my back as I currently have some serious debt from student loans and now the upgrades on my home which I am selling. As soon as this house sells I'll be debt free. With this loan I will be able to save tons of money from otherwise high interst loans. USAA is like santa with a gift like this. 2% APR is a gift.

I have never heard anyone say anything bad about USAA. By the way, USAA is now offering a un-secured loan of $25,000 at 2%APR for those about to commission. An incredible rate for that LT mobile
That auto loan is secured......with the auto you buy with that loan. So you won't be able to get 25K and throw it into a CD as someone else said. You get a promissory note made out to the car dealer of your choice (not you)for up to 25K.

I did the LT Loan and am happy for it. I walked into the dealer of my choice with my promissory note and got the price I wanted (including every option and then some that I wanted) all for a nice, low rate. This one's for you, mr. dealer.

You can get 5K unsecured and I guess you could do whatever you want with it.

the loan in question is actually something that came out within the past few weeks. Had some USAA guys come to our det and handed it out to a ton of guys. He made it quite clear it was unsecured, and if I wanted to (and he strongly discouraged) I could take it to vegas and gamble it away...

Prior to that though, it was 20k secured, 5k unsecured...combined for those who took the 25k loan.

I don't think it's on the website as they said it was relatively new, but would be probably within a few weeks...

Guest tentoad

USAA in a heartbeat.

I believe Snake had a bad experience.

USAA has always been great, banking, insurance, investing...

When I went to Desert Storm I fax'ed them my POA for my Dad to control my bills and stuff. THEY called my Dad and set everything up for him. Did I say THEY CALLED!!!

Overall you could get some stuff slightly cheaper like insurance in NJ. However, when you call they listen and help. They do things like return phone calls- the small stuff.

I refinanced a few years ago and USAA had farmed out mortgages to PHH. PHH screwed up the closing and I was making 2 mortgage payments- I was ticked. PHH wasnt returning call, etc...

Called USAA and I left a scathing email. Later that day a VICE PRESIDENT of banking called to talk about it. My money was refunded the next day with a half dozen calls about what USAA could do to help, none from PHH. A few months later I heard PHH was losing the USAA contract- USAA rocks/PHH sucks. A VICE PRESIDENT!!!

If you want to save a couple pennies and try the other guys- go ahead. I think you see the trend is most go USAA and stay.

Tentoad

Guest GummiBear

I am not 99% sure about the 25K being unsecured, b/c it is now a lump sum (no longer 20 for a car and 5 for you).....but I would check into it before I'd put my life on it. They just changed it a short time ago. I got the 3.59% APR 20K for the car and the 5K un-secured in August. I am pretty sure the USAA rep that came and talked to us said it was un-secured.......regardless it is now 2% APR.

• 3 months later...

THREAD REVIVAL!

Has anyone used USAA for a mortgage loan or do people generally use a local bank? USAA's rates don't seem too competitive just looking around the web. I plan on using USAA's Mover's Advantage anyway to save a few bucks if it works out. Just looking for advice.

Thanks!

Originally posted by GBock:

THREAD REVIVAL!

Has anyone used USAA for a mortgage loan or do people generally use a local bank? USAA's rates don't seem too competitive just looking around the web. I plan on using USAA's Mover's Advantage anyway to save a few bucks if it works out. Just looking for advice.

Thanks!

I have my mortgage with them. My experience has been OUTSTANDING. When we closed, their rate was the best I could find, the process was very painless, and the service since then has been truly exceptional.

On our first house, we went with a local bank. In a matter of a year, our mortgage was sold 3 times...each time causing billing problems and each time the customer service got worse. USAA typically does not sell loans, and even if they do, USAA still services all of the loans...so it's completely transparent to the customer.

I know it sounds like I've drank too much USAA Kool-Aid, but after spending 6+ months fixing billing errors (and subsequent credit report problems) due to a mortgage company's screw up, there is no way I'd give up USAA's customer service...even if it meant a slightly higher rate.

Lastly...Mover's Advantage is a wonderful program as well. Highly recommend.