USAA

Guest egovolo

Anyone had to deal with them on a personal injury claim where the other individual is also insured by USAA? I'm getting pretty fed up with lack of response/cooperation from the claims rep. It's been 18 months since the accident and 12 months since completing any medical treatment. The other driver was convicted of felony injury by motor vehicle and lost their drivers license for 90 days on top of the fines. She threw a couple of low ball offers my way and actually laughed at my counter (reasonable and below what several lawyers have evaluated it at). Now they're even requesting access to my full personnel record in an attempt to prove that there might have been some negative actions being taken against me that kept me out of the jet versus the injuries.

While understand that every company tries to pay out as little as they can, I still can't believe this is how my own insurance company treats me. I can't even get the rep to just call back and try to come to some sort of resolution. Between this, the multiple banking errors on their part, experience with their realty referral, and a lost deal on a car after their rep had better things to do, it might be time for me to move on.

I've stated on here before that I stopped using USAA because their prices were not competitive in home or car insurance in Colorado Springs, and their customer service was so bad that my wife still gets high blood pressure when they are mentioned. They have a great reputation, but they are not what they were back when my Dad's day.

• Upvote 1

I recently bought a house and got a quote for our homeowners insurance and it was $2000 more a year compared to other companies like AllState and Farmers Insurance. We ended up going with AllState because we bundled our homeowners, vehicle, boat and some life insurance and it came out to almost 1/2 of what USAA was charging.

So, now all we have with USAA is our checking account, credit card and investments and have taken our business elsewhere with everything else.

I've stated on here before that I stopped using USAA because their prices were not competitive in home or car insurance in Colorado Springs, and their customer service was so bad that my wife still gets high blood pressure when they are mentioned. They have a great reputation, but they are not what they were back when my Dad's day.

If you are leaving USAA, where are you taking your business (besides Allstate)? Currently a USAA customer, but I think the customer service has gone downhill too. I like having everything in one place - checking, credit, insurance, and investments. Where should I go if I move on from them?

Edited by Striper_WSO

• 2 months later...

Did USAA break their Deposit@Mobile functionality on their newest update or am I the only one having problems? If you click the deposit button it brings up a screen saying "Acquiring your location, this could take up to a minute." And then gets stuck there. Never goes anywhere. Talk about a pain in the ass, I don't think I have any of their mail-in deposit forms since I haven't used them in years.

Did USAA break their Deposit@Mobile functionality on their newest update or am I the only one having problems? If you click the deposit button it brings up a screen saying "Acquiring your location, this could take up to a minute." And then gets stuck there. Never goes anywhere. Talk about a pain in the ass, I don't think I have any of their mail-in deposit forms since I haven't used them in years.

No problem here on the iPhone.

If you are leaving USAA, where are you taking your business (besides Allstate)? Currently a USAA customer, but I think the customer service has gone downhill too. I like having everything in one place - checking, credit, insurance, and investments. Where should I go if I move on from them?

Take a look at Navy Federal Credit Union. I personally use both, full disclosure one of my parents worked for NFCU for many years. NFCU is similar to USAA in that it provides almost everything (or at a minimum have a deal through another company) but in reverse, started as a Credit Union and moved into investments/insurance. Their car insurance is done through a deal with Geico whom I never had problems with, only switched to USAA because they were cheaper.

Android works fine too.

Pentagon Federal Credit Union

Just refinanced both of my vehicles with PenFed at 1.74%

Take a look at Navy Federal Credit Union. I personally use both, full disclosure one of my parents worked for NFCU for many years. NFCU is similar to USAA in that it provides almost everything (or at a minimum have a deal through another company) but in reverse, started as a Credit Union and moved into investments/insurance. Their car insurance is done through a deal with Geico whom I never had problems with, only switched to USAA because they were cheaper.

Been a Navy Fed member since 1993 (joined the day before I graduated from Parris Island). NEVER had a problem with them.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

I'm about to get out and I've been sharpening my pencil, and I'm shocked how much money you can save by taking your insurance business elsewhere. I personally just saved $1300/year by switching to geico for homeowners/auto. Many others were cheaper than USAA though. I know we all like to think of USAA as unbeatable, but it's worth shopping around if you have a few minutes.

I just shopped around last week and found that I would save upwards of $500 switching home/auto to Geico. One unknown is how much of a "bundle" discount Geico gives. Anyone have gouge there? Also, how responsive is Geico/Liberty Mutual to claims against the homeowners insurance? If you've had a claim, have you seen your rates rise after that?

When my auto policy went up for renewal in March, USAA went up about $50/month (to almost $400/month for 3 cars including a 17 year old) for no reason at all (no accidents). Called Geico, and they were about $130/month cheaper. USAA couldn't match. I hated dumping USAA as we've always had great service, but when Geico's cost was 2/3 of USAA's, switching was a no-brainer.

When my auto policy went up for renewal in March, USAA went up about $50/month (to almost $400/month for 3 cars including a 17 year old) for no reason at all (no accidents). Called Geico, and they were about $130/month cheaper. USAA couldn't match. I hated dumping USAA as we've always had great service, but when Geico's cost was 2/3 of USAA's, switching was a no-brainer.

Yup, I was with them for over 14 years. I was blown away by how much cheaper Geico was. $400 a year is significant!

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

I made the switch to Geico as well. Like you, I hated to leave, but the savings were significant.

It's only money...I've been with USAA since 1969 for everything and sticking with them...great customer service, quick responses and great advice is worth a few dollars more...no lizard gimmicks....

It's only money...I've been with USAA since 1969 for everything and sticking with them...great customer service, quick responses and great advice is worth a few dollars more...no lizard gimmicks....

If it's only money then send some my way....

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

I've decided to leave USAA completely. I've been with them through thick and thin over the last 16+ years, including college. Their customer service is so much worse than when I started with them. Their insurance, mortgages, and banking aren't as competitive either.

Good copy on using Geico...I'm going that route for car insurance. But how about on-line banking, investments, home-owners insurance, and 529s? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

• Upvote 1

Vanguard for investments. Personal Capital if you like to see all your investments in one place.

I use Barclays for my emergency fund. I'm getting 0.9% (terrible, but 9x better than USAA savings was). Other banks have topped Barclays since I joined, but only by a little bit...not enough to switch yet. Search here.

For checking, you can get some pretty great rates if you're willing to look and jump through some hoops. Look here. I still have USAA checking, but once I'm off AD, I'll look around for better deals.

• Upvote 1

Geico screwed over my wife a few ways when we were in college, will never consider them again no matter how cheap they are... Also, when we got married, insurance for both of our cars combined, with half the deductible and a much better coverage was half as much for USAA to cover both our cars than it was for geico to just cover hers.

I had Geico for car insurance for a while after being dropped by USAA. When I got married, the premium on the insurance was higher than what my wife and I were paying combined up til that point so we switched to Allstate. Moving from Charleston to San Antonio, Allstate wanted almost double; at this point I checked USAA again and was pleasantly surprised when they took me back.

USAA is the only company I've made a claim with, and for the most part they are good. I have had two negative experiences with them, however. In the first case they offered me cash in exchange for depreciation, only to be told afterwards that South Carolina doesn't allow such payments. Additionally, they told me they were going to cover the damage I did to a sign. Two months later I got a call from the police saying they were going to put out a warrant if I didn't pay up; so much for USAA doing their job.

My next complaint arose after being hit by a red-light runner. The claims individual refused to call the witness (asked me to call her instead) and wouldn't pull the police report herself (insisting that I order it and then send them a copy). After two months of inaction, USAA put someone else on my claim and it was handled within a day with them finding the other party at fault and refunding the deductible I'd been charged.