USAA

Guest egovolo

Guest cheap

Has anyone else cancelled their USAA credit card because of the new billing policy changes were implemented a few months back? In case you are unaware:

Interest rates became variable, my interest rate was going to climb because of the new minimums (prime + XX%)

Auto billpay can only be paid on the due date (no early payments)

Here's an interesting new policy regarding savings accounts from USAA:

Please note: You may make six debit withdrawals per monthly statement cycle. This includes funds transfer, overdraft protection transfers and bill payments. If you have more than six withdrawals, you may be charged a fee and, in accordance with federal regulations, your account will be converted into a checking account. See the USAA Depository Agreement for details.

Unfortunately, this seems to be valid.

From Title 12, Part 204 "Regulation D"

(2) The term “savings deposit” also means: A deposit or account, such as an account commonly known as a passbook savings account, a statement savings account, or as a money market deposit account (MMDA), that otherwise meets the requirements of §204.2(d)(1) and from which, under the terms of the deposit contract or by practice of the depository institution, the depositor is permitted or authorized to make no more than six transfers and withdrawals, or a combination of such transfers and withdrawals, per calendar month or statement cycle (or similar period) of at least four weeks, to another account (including a transaction account) of the depositor at the same institution or to a third party by means of a preauthorized or automatic transfer, or telephonic (including data transmission) agreement, order or instruction, or by check, draft, debit card, or similar order made by the depositor and payable to third parties. A preauthorized transfer includes any arrangement by the depository institution to pay a third party from the account of a depositor upon written or oral instruction (including an order received through an automated clearing house (ACH)) or any arrangement by a depository institution to pay a third party from the account of the depositor at a predetermined time or on a fixed schedule. Such an account is not a transaction account by virtue of an arrangement that permits transfers for the purpose of repaying loans and associated expenses at the same depository institution (as originator or servicer) or that permits transfers of funds from this account to another account of the same depositor at the same institution or permits withdrawals (payments directly to the depositor) from the account when such transfers or withdrawals are made by mail, messenger, automated teller machine, or in person or when such withdrawals are made by telephone (via check mailed to the depositor) regardless of the number of such transfers or withdrawals.

This has always been USAA policy, but they recently added transfers via USAA.com to the list of transactions that count towards the 6.

That's when the flag came up; first I'd heard of it. Thanks. The more you know.

• 6 months later...

Just wanted to bump this thread and give my props to USAA insurance. My 1997 Toyota 4Runner with 218,000 miles on it lost a fight with a guardrail during one of our recent snow storms in Colorado. It got towed to the shop for free and was going to get repaired. The claims folks were great about getting me set up with a rental car, covering the towing, etc. Turns out there is more damage than originally noticed so now USAA is totalling the car instead of repairing it. After taking out my deductible they're paying me $6,500 for the car which is far more than I could possibly get for it selling it myself. All in all not a bad deal. They are being very accommodating especially considering I am TDY right now and can't be there to sign any papers or work with the shop the car is sitting at.

So for the first time in my driving life, I locked myself out of my car last week :banghead:

Called USAA and within 30 minutes they had someone out there to unlock my car for me. Cost was covered by my roadside assistance :rock:

I could get slightly better rates with Geico (like $10/month) but honestly I think the customer service more than makes up for it.

...Turns out there is more damage than originally noticed so now USAA is totalling the car instead of repairing it. After taking out my deductible they're paying me $6,500 for the car which is far more than I could possibly get for it selling it myself. All in all not a bad deal....

OK. I own a couple 97-era 4wd trucks and may find myself in a similar situation: so if the repair bill is less than 6500, can you get it fixed and keep the truck and cash? Or does USAA now own the truck? Can you refuse the settlement and claim just the repair (less than 6500)? Or accept the 6500 and pay for the rest of the repair yourself?

Just seems like you're worse off if they total the truck and take ownership. Sure u got the 65, but you cannot possibly replace your truck for that amount...or at least I couldn't.

OK. I own a couple 97-era 4wd trucks and may find myself in a similar situation: so if the repair bill is less than 6500, can you get it fixed and keep the truck and cash? Or does USAA now own the truck? Can you refuse the settlement and claim just the repair (less than 6500)? Or accept the 6500 and pay for the rest of the repair yourself?

Just seems like you're worse off if they total the truck and take ownership. Sure u got the 65, but you cannot possibly replace your truck for that amount...or at least I couldn't.

Most insurance companies will let you buy back a salvaged vehicle. The settlement check is to compensate you for the loss of your vehicle - not to pay for a new one.

It all depends on the situation. I've been in situations where I wanted the vehicle totaled and where I've wanted it fixed. It's not up to you but generally you can work something out with the dealership/shop to go one way or the other. Just try not to commit insurance fraud in the process.

They said I could keep the vehicle but I wouldn't get anywhere near $6,500 from them for it if I did. The $6,500 is based on them taking ownership and selling it to a salvage yard. If you keep the car they can't do that, so they will pay you a much smaller settlement amount.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody used the USAA car buying service (Auto Circle)? Seems like a nice tool and getting a new car at invoice seems to be a better deal than a 2-3 year old car at this point. I'm just curious how it works after you get the quotes from the dealerships. Rough timeline of how long to get the car delivered, etc.

Has anybody used the USAA car buying service (Auto Circle)? Seems like a nice tool and getting a new car at invoice seems to be a better deal than a 2-3 year old car at this point. I'm just curious how it works after you get the quotes from the dealerships. Rough timeline of how long to get the car delivered, etc.

First, do not negotiate with the dealer. Once you tell them you are going with USAA's "negotiating", they will contact USAA to talk about a price (which WILL end up being 3% over invoice, which is a pretty fair deal). If you know the invoice cost, you can probably negotiate below that...but not much.

USAA will pretty much do it (sts) on the spot. Coordinate with USAA to make sure they will be open, but you can walk into a dealership any business day and walk out a few hours later with a new car.

I used them when I bought my first car. Just find the car you like, tell the dealer you're ready to buy, then give him USAA's 800 number and tell him to call. My dealer looked a bit shocked when I gave him the number. He looked like somebody ran over his dog after he got off the phone with USAA, and I got a great deal on the car. Like BQZip said, it's a good idea to coordinate with USAA ahead of time, but I was in and out of the dealership in a couple hours.

I've been a member since I started driving - thanks pops!

USAA has had an awesome and very intimate relationship with my car.

-They gave me a great loan (one more payment!!)

-Transmission cooling line failed (was damaged when I had the timing belt replaced) when about 50 miles north of Dallas: USAA towed it over 40 miles.

-Headgasket failed: USAA towed car to the nearest qualified repair shop. It was in Norman, I was in Enid: 120 miles.

-I've gotten a few jumps, one rental car (hit a curb in the snow), and they have been johnny on the spot with their customer service.

The only time they haven't hooked me up was when the mechanics here broke my steering knuckle while doing my brakes. They said the shop was responsible for covering the rental, and then proceeded to talk to the shop for me. So while they didn't cover the rental, they still helped me out.

-Transmission cooling line failed (was damaged when I had the timing belt replaced) when about 50 miles north of Dallas: USAA towed it over 40 miles.

-Headgasket failed: USAA towed car to the nearest qualified repair shop. It was in Norman, I was in Enid: 120 miles.

-I've gotten a few jumps, one rental car (hit a curb in the snow), and they have been johnny on the spot with their customer service.

The only time they haven't hooked me up was when the mechanics here broke my steering knuckle while doing my brakes. They said the shop was responsible for covering the rental, and then proceeded to talk to the shop for me. So while they didn't cover the rental, they still helped me out.

Dude, you need a new car.

• Upvote 1

Got a call this morning from USAA about 2 suspicious charges made with my debit card number. Sure enough, my card # had some way or another become compromised. They called within a couple hours of the charges being made, confirmed that they were fraudulent, canceled the card and got a new one on the way. Oh and they're reimbursing for the bogus charges. Best customer service every time I deal with them. :beer:

Got a call this morning from USAA about 2 suspicious charges made with my debit card number. Sure enough, my card # had some way or another become compromised. They called within a couple hours of the charges being made, confirmed that they were fraudulent, canceled the card and got a new one on the way. Oh and they're reimbursing for the bogus charges. Best customer service every time I deal with them. :beer:

"2" on that! My last deployment I log onto USAA and see charges made to Xbox-Live. Hmmm, the wife playing Xbox. Yeah right. She calls and after a five minutes it is settled. Hassle free, and very concerned about the customer. You can't get that anywhere else nowadays.

"2" on that! My last deployment I log onto USAA and see charges made to Xbox-Live. Hmmm, the wife playing Xbox. Yeah right. She calls and after a five minutes it is settled. Hassle free, and very concerned about the customer. You can't get that anywhere else nowadays.

Microsoft has been trying to automatically renew xbox live six to eight months early. When I called them, the lady acted surprised that I didn't want to renew my subscription earlier than expected. Good on USAA for doing that for you.

Is this guy your insurance adjuster?

tailpipe_man_350.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I don't use USAA (hate them actually)

Pretty sure you're the first person I've ever heard say that... I'm not sure what your experience was, but they've always been great w/ me and everyone I know...

Pretty sure you're the first person I've ever heard say that... I'm not sure what your experience was, but they've always been great w/ me and everyone I know...

I think its been covered in another thread, but short story...USAA helped my buy and finance a house (actually their investment folks suggested it). PCSed away and kept the home as a rental. When I returned we purchased a bigger home (again using USAA, who advised me to keep the first home as an investment), they immediately dropped my homeowners coverage on the rental because it was in Florida and the refuse to insure more than your primary residence (even if the suggest it). Went round and round, told them I was taking ALL my business elsewhere and they did not believe me...so I moved four mutual funds, canceled our credit card, other home owners and car insurance.

Not close to the first I've heard.

In fact, a good number of long-time USAA clients have departed for other companies over the erosion of support and benefits over the last 6-9 years. Used to be that USAA had the best overall package (sts) in pretty much every area of finance/banking/insurance for an active duty military officer.

USAA definitely isn't the same bastion today that it was in the 90s.

Covered in the USAA thread, but we quit using them too. They pissed us off on a claim for a move. Next move, they were nowhere close to a good deal on home insurance. Dropped them for car insurance too because we got a package deal from another company. I don't see us ever going back to USAA.

told them I was taking ALL my business elsewhere and they did not believe me

Unfortunately, it may not have had anything to do with "believing" you or not. My experience w/ USAA (and that of several others with whom I've had this conversation) has been that they're extremely inflexible with rates and policies--even if the every person you talked to believed 100% you were leaving, there was likely no one with the authority to make accommodations. They're almost never competitive for mortgage rates any more, for much the same reason.

I like USAA and I've been a long time customer, but their inflexibility and slow-to-adapt rates/policies are often frustrating, and, I believe, could ultimately lead to the company's failure (or at least decline) in the age of Googling rates from 20 different companies in 30 seconds flat....