USAA

Guest egovolo

It was like that 4 years ago when I bought my house as well. They couldn't even come close to beating local financing (which ended up getting sold to a large firm anyway). It was unfortunate because they compete on all financing/insuring issues but that one.

We've had no problems with USAA. Use them for everything - Banking, Insurance, Realtor, and Mortgage. We've used them twice now for our mortgage and have never had an issue. Always closed on time and their rate beat the local rate. We also just had to deal with a bunch of hail damage (new roof, gutters, etc.), and while everyone else had to work with their insurance and mortgage company to get the money we got our check direct-deposited within 48 hours since our mortgage went through them.

I used the USAA Find-a-Realtor thing and liked the realtor they set up for me. USAA gave me $1,000 for closing using that realtor.

Yeah, about that.

I used it a few yeas back, guy they referred was a mouth breathing moron. I mentioned USAA referrel program and he had zero idea what I was talking about. He had been in town/state for less than a year, so no local legend. Far as I could tell he was a name they picked out of the phone book.

Then I figured out referrel fees. If there's someone with a liscense on here feel free to correct.

Basically the referring realtor, USAA in this case, gets a quarter of the referred realtors fee. If listing commission is 6%, that means referrER gets 0.75% of the sale price. The house I bought cost $400k+ so USAA was going to get $3K+, for looking a name out of a book, and they'd kick me back a grand. To get more pissed off, realize realtor fees are rolled into the mortgage, so not only was I going to pay USAA $2k, I was going to be paying interest on it for the next 30 years. No wonder they're so eager to hook you up with a realtor. They're ecstatic when you get a loan from them too, you borrow money from them to give money...to them...and you pay interest on it. And the grand they "give" you, you borrowed that too.

In summary, they didn't give you a grand. You gave them several grand and they let you keep $1000. And you're paying interest on all of it.

If you have a bud or family member with a liscense, get them to do the referrel and have them write the .75% into the contract. Done it twice, works great.

I actually like USAA, but on this....just seems sleazy.

(of course, another way to look at this, if USAA wasn't getting the .75%, the realtor'd get it all so this way you at least end up a grand ahead. Still, the fact that they neglect to mention they're making twice what you are on it just seems sleazy).

The way I look at it.. the realtor gets money, I get money, USAA gets money.. it's a win win.

I was referred a realtor in the area I was looking at by a guy in the area, then went to USAA and requested that agent with MoversAdvantage (she was USAA certified).. so I got to pick my realtor and I got a grand for it. It was a great deal.

• 2 weeks later...

Bros,

Thought I'd drop a quick line about insurance. Check, double-check, and re-check your insurance coverages. I presume like me, most of you have USAA for your insurance needs. My wife and I have everything with USAA, life, auto, renters, personal property, high-value items, etc. I'm not an insurance guy...I have "full" coverage on everything and always asked the agent to ensure I had "hotrod" coverage. I thought I did. Many of you on this forum who know me personally (especially those in Omaha), so you know what has happened. I IMPLORE all of you to immediately review your insurance coverage, especially the uninsured motorist coverage. I now carry $3M for uninsured motorist coverage. I am NOT bashing USAA, they have been the best financial and insurance institution we have ever had and will remain with them. Just check your sh!t to make certain you have what you need. It's like life insurance...have it.

R/

Smashmouth

Bros,

Thought I'd drop a quick line about insurance. Check, double-check, and re-check your insurance coverages. I presume like me, most of you have USAA for your insurance needs. My wife and I have everything with USAA, life, auto, renters, personal property, high-value items, etc. I'm not an insurance guy...I have "full" coverage on everything and always asked the agent to ensure I had "hotrod" coverage. I thought I did. Many of you on this forum who know me personally (especially those in Omaha), so you know what has happened. I IMPLORE all of you to immediately review your insurance coverage, especially the uninsured motorist coverage. I now carry $3M for uninsured motorist coverage. I am NOT bashing USAA, they have been the best financial and insurance institution we have ever had and will remain with them. Just check your sh!t to make certain you have what you need. It's like life insurance...have it.

R/

Smashmouth

Not exactly USAA-specific, but good advice regardless of your insurer.

• 3 months later...

Has anyone ever heard of an insurance company asking you to pay a percentage of a repair (in addition to deductible) because a portion of what will be repaired will be "prior damage?" Yes I have comprehensive coverage through USAA.

Seriously? Isn't this what I pay for every month?

Backstory: Hailstorm at Altus, major damage to all parts of vehicle. Also the drivers door was damaged due to high winds and lots of nicks and what not from pebbles and debris flying around in the 60-70 MPH winds. They claim that since the car's a few years old, some of the nicks and what not have to be prior damage and are trying to get me to agree to pay for part of the cost of re-painting.

Please stop me if I'm asking for too much. All I want is for my vehicle to look as good or better than it did before the storm.

42 Years with USAA-Everything, Houses, Cars, Boats, AIrplane, LOC. Only CC except AE for business. Never an issue. Great kids programs. Trust explicitly. Great service responses etc and I hate betting against myself (Insurance) but one should have the comfort of knowing that they will be there if some douche bag tries to cramp your style! They also monitor your CC expendatures, will give you a call if your on a OCONUS trip, spending like a drunken sailor without first letting them know! :salut: I'd also recommend that if you have issues, go up the chain, stay civil and they'll do their best to satisfy. Sure there are some better loan percentages out there occasionally, but unless you are a cheap ass airline pilot, a .03-1% higher rate shouldn't be cause to bail....

• 1 year later...

Has anybody used the Movers Advantage service? I'm going to be selling my house but and moving into a rental. I used the USAA car buying service and it was great but I've heard nothing but bad things about USAA mortgages. Since I'm just selling and not buying a house then I wouldn't have to worry about the mortgage part. The cash back sounds nice and I like sending business to USAA if I think I'm going to get something quality out of it.

I just closed on my new house a few weeks ago. I used movers advantage to get the $950 and barely used the realtor. I bought new so there was no negotiating on the price and I was happy to get the $950 kickback and the backup of a realtor on my side. It paid off.

I used local financing and found that process to be MUCH better than USAA's mortgage service. Keep in mind that USAA mortgages are the one business unit that is subcontracted. They may say they're USAA when you're talking to them, but upon further questioning, you learn that they're just another company who handles the mortgages (very badly) for USAA. Not only were they completely incompetent when I used them, they don't give you the excellent treatment I'm used to getting from every USAA rep I've ever talked to.

Good luck with the move.

Completely agree with HU&W on USAA mortgage service. Horrible, horrible, horrible. Absolutely nothing beats local for a home mortgage.

Agreed. My realtor, who is a USAA realtor found through USAA, was former Navy and gave us a list of mortgage companies in case USAA was being a hassle. After shopping around we went with a local realtor and insurance company, and still got the $950 from USAA. The closing costs were lower, the interest rate was lower, and the insurance was cheaper (by $55 a year). The best part was being able to walk into an office and talk to the person handling the mortgage.

So just so I get this straight, most people on this board have had great experiences with auto insurance and the car buying program offered by United Services Automobile Association, also known as USAA, but for the most part have had bad experiences with an automobile service company doing mortgages and investments. Sounds about right.

So just so I get this straight, most people on this board have had great experiences with auto insurance and the car buying program offered by United Services Automobile Association, also known as USAA, but for the most part have had bad experiences with an automobile service company doing mortgages and investments. Sounds about right.

Negative. Awful experience with their subcontractor that does mortgages. EXCELLENT experiences with everything else from banking, to investments, to automotive stuff. I've even had great experiences using their services to purchase diamond jewelry for my wife.

• Upvote 1