FAA Medical physical ?s

Guest Bushmaster

One of our flight docs (who's an AME, too) just emailed us and told us to do just that - carry a 1042 in lieu of a medical. I don't know if that came to her through official channels or not, but I think that's what everyone expected to do.

I'll check with the secretary but hopefully I scan it and resize it and have it printed out in card size. What are the stipulations on: Military checkride counts for BFR?

Although carrying a copy of your 1042 (or NATOPs, etc.) may be legal (which I agree it would be, although the FAR isn't that specific) is it smart? I've talked to a couple FSDO guys, and they don't have a clue what forms are legit for military medicals, especially when you are talking about all the different branches. Obviously some ops inspectors will because of thier previous service.

So if you are ramp checked and show a form that the FAA inspector isn't sure about, it's going to suck while he tries to figure it out. Even if it all works out, and there's no infraction, is it worth your time and effort to deal with that ass-pain when you could have just showed him a FAA medical. Most class 3's are about $80-100 and last 3-5 years (depending on your age).

I'm not saying what you should/shouldn't do, but it's a cost/benefit decision you should at least consider.

Although carrying a copy of your 1042 (or NATOPs, etc.) may be legal (which I agree it would be, although the FAR isn't that specific) is it smart? I've talked to a couple FSDO guys, and they don't have a clue what forms are legit for military medicals, especially when you are talking about all the different branches. Obviously some ops inspectors will because of thier previous service.

So if you are ramp checked and show a form that the FAA inspector isn't sure about, it's going to suck while he tries to figure it out. Even if it all works out, and there's no infraction, is it worth your time and effort to deal with that ass-pain when you could have just showed him a FAA medical. Most class 3's are about $80-100 and last 3-5 years (depending on your age).

I'm not saying what you should/shouldn't do, but it's a cost/benefit decision you should at least consider.

How many times have you had your medical checked by an FAA bubba? Not saying it doesn't happen but I've got at least 40yrs of flying left in me and I'd rather use the $4k for burning Avgas. To each his own :beer:

To specifically answer that question, four times. Granted two were on FAA checkrides, but they still checked. The other two were just random FAA visits of the FBO I was flying at, both times were after I was landed, so no big deal. I'd agree, that's a bit of bad luck on my part. The way I look at it is the military medical MAY generate some discussion. Last thing I want is more discussion with an FAA Ops Inspector.

40 years of flying left is about $1300 of Class 3s assuming you are already over 40. But that's still a few gallons of Avgas...or beer.

I just spoke to the Sacramento FSDO. The inspector said I should carry BOTH my Form 8 and my 1042. The Form 8 proves I'm on active military flight status, which is a requirement for this provision.

Take it for what it's worth.

Edited by Huggyu2

Of course it's smart, because it's legal and in the FAR's! They wouldn't have put it in there if they didn't want us using it. If the FSDO guys you talked to don't know what the military medical forms are, then they are $hitty at their jobs. If they plan on ramp checking anyone, it's their job to know what military medical forms are!

No it will not suck, because I know I am right. If they don't think it's legal, I will reference them to FAR 61.23(b)(9) that I have scanned on the backside of my 1042. It's right there in black and white. If they still don't think it's right, let them look like a dumba$$ as they call back to the office to figure it out.

I agree, that the less things out of the norm, the better. But if the FAA is offering this, then I am going to take full advantage of the situation. Why spend that 80-100 bucks if I don't have too? With the already astronomical costs of general aviation, this is money that could be better spent elsewhere.

Last thing I want is more discussion with an FAA Ops Inspector.

Why not? All the FAA inspectors I have dealt with have been great. I actually learned quite a bit from one particular individual and enjoyed the conversation. These are people just like you and I, who have just as much passion for aviation as the next guy. They just happen to work for the FAA.

40 years of flying left is about $1300 of Class 3s assuming you are already over 40. But that's still a few gallons of Avgas...or beer

Beer is reason enough....haha!

I just spoke to the Sacramento FSDO. The inspector said I should carry BOTH my Form 8 and my 1042. The Form 8 proves I'm on active military flight status, which is a requirement for this provision.

Take it for what it's worth.

I think this is a great idea. But is this something he, or his office, just thought up or is that something that has been sent down from the power above?

Edited by SocialD

• 4 years later...

Many AMEs will look on the fact that you can pass a military flight physical favorably (i.e. you might spend less time in their office). VFR800, I live in SoCal and have a guy in Riverside that most of my unit uses. Might be a bit far for you, but PM me if interested and I'll send you his contact info.

While pretty ho-hum for military pilots if you’re just in search of the ultimate $100 hamburger or perfect pancake on a Saturday morning this may fit the bill and make getting a civ medical a moot point see below:

AOPA/EAA 3rd Class Medical Exemption

AOPA and the Experimental Aircraft Association (EAA) on March 20, 2012 submitted a request to the FAA that, if successful, would offer pilots an option of obtaining a 3rd class FAA medical or instead become educated on medical self-assessment and operate familiar aircraft recreationally using the driver's license as the baseline of health.

Self educated: Take an on-line course on how to do a self-certified medical evaluation to be fit for flight prior to each ‘sortie’. Print and carry ‘certificate’ (which is good for like 3 years) from course as proof of course completion along with driver’s license in lieu of a FAA medical. Basically, if you can drive, you can fly non-commercial aircraft weighing less than 6,000 lbs. with 6 or less seats, VFR below 14,000 ft MSL at no more than no more than 250 kts.

A similar process has been in place for about 10 years with the Light Sport and glider communities and there is NO hard core evidence that any accidents are medical related as a result of self-certification.

UPDATE: As of 15 May 2014: Bill proposed in congress with strong bi-partisan support to make it law as the FAA is just sitting on the AOPA/EAA proposal.

More info here:

http://www.taainfo.org/thirdclassmedical.html

http://www.aopa.org/Advocacy/Legislative-Affairs/General-aviation-pilot-protection-act.aspx

• 1 month later...

Anyone know of a good AME in either the Tampa (deployed to Tampastan, poor me) or San Antonio area? I was advised to get a recommendation rather than just pick one out of the phone book.

Anyone know of a good AME in either the Tampa (deployed to Tampastan, poor me) or San Antonio area? I was advised to get a recommendation rather than just pick one out of the phone book.

Call Tailwheels, Etc in Lakeland and go with whoever they recommend.

Call Tailwheels, Etc in Lakeland and go with whoever they recommend.

For anyone who isn't familiar with the .civ side, this is generally good advice pretty much everywhere. Most places will have an AME (or maybe a few) who are aviation friendly and will be very good about getting you smoothly through the process with your FAA medical, unless of course you have a no-kidding issue that makes it unsafe for you to fly or something that's a statutory DQ that can't be waived (there are a few of those).

The FBO's & local flight instructors know who those AME's are.