Mess Dress ?s

Sneedro

• 1 year later...

Revival:

So, I'm finally getting ready to purchase a mess dress for graduation and I'm planning on going to either Randolph or Lackland to take care of the purchasing/sizing. First, does anyone have any recommendations as far as going to either RND or Lackland to get the stuff? Secondly, after purchase, can the sizing be done the same day? And finally, how quick is the turnaround from sizing to being ready? Thanks much!

The RND and Lackland clothing sales are about the same. Both have plenty of mess dresses.

Sizing-wise, you should already know your size before you even think about dropping money on it. To get it altered, either take it to the base alterations shop (3-5 days) or take it to a civilian tailor that is experienced in military uniforms. You're bound to get a better tailoring from a civilian shop.

HD

I would recommend Randolph, Lackland caters more towards the basic trainees.

As for the rest of you bitching about the cost of the mess dress (and I know most of you are seeing this coming), stop being such pussies! First and foremost, you are required by reg to have one, so spend a little less money on hair gel and go out and get one (actually, I need to say 'go out and get a pair!'). And other than doing the Testor’s paint modification to your second lieutenant board when you make first lieutenant, new boards cost out the ass as well, so prepare yourself. And to pre-empt further whining, if you make field grade rank one day, you are going to have to go out and buy a new service cap that you’ll probably never wear either; but it too is required by reg. Sure, you can risk not having one; but if the day comes that you do need it and don’t have it, you will look like an ass.

Fucking hell, some of you will go out and drop the same amount of money on a XBOX 360 and ‘World of Warcraft’ without batting an eye; but babble like a baby when your Service tells you to buy a uniform. Lieutenants are overpaid as it is, don’t draw attention to yourself and look like a fool claiming you’re not.

Cheers! M2

• Upvote 1

I rented one at the OTS dining out, and I've never bought one. I've never remotely come near an occassion where I needed one either, but that's only about 3 years of service talking. I figure if something big comes up, there will be announcements in plenty of time to make arrangements (either finding another rental place, or breaking down and buying one).

IMO, buying it during ROTC would be a waste of money, but on AD, just suck it up and buy the thing. I got mine during ASBC when I had more per diem and BAH than I knew what to do with. I've worn it twice, and once was at a wedding, so the first time I was required to wear it was at UPT graduation as a 1LT. Hold off on buying the rank until you need to wear it, because those suckers are like $40, and you might never wear it as a 2Lt.

Hold off on buying the rank until you need to wear it, because those suckers are like $40, and you might never wear it as a 2Lt.

Also maybe ask around work when it comes that time. A lot of dudes have their old rank and are usually pretty willing to just give it to you. Definitely beats spending 40 bucks.

Just some words of advice, don't hold off buying the shoulder boards until you need them, 'cause when an event comes up you'll find Clothing Sales won't have them. Go ahead and buy them, set them off to the side somewhere, and if you never use them simply take them back unopened and AAFES will refund your money. At least that way if you need 'em, you'll have 'em!

And of course never forget the Testor's solution for making 1st Lt boards!

Cheers! M2

• 2 months later...
Guest Micro-Brew
I would recommend Randolph, Lackland caters more towards the basic trainees.

As for the rest of you bitching about the cost of the mess dress (and I know most of you are seeing this coming), stop being such pussies! First and foremost, you are required by reg to have one, so spend a little less money on hair gel and go out and get one (actually, I need to say 'go out and get a pair!'). And other than doing the Testor’s paint modification to your second lieutenant board when you make first lieutenant, new boards cost out the ass as well, so prepare yourself. And to pre-empt further whining, if you make field grade rank one day, you are going to have to go out and buy a new service cap that you’ll probably never wear either; but it too is required by reg. Sure, you can risk not having one; but if the day comes that you do need it and don’t have it, you will look like an ass.

######ing hell, some of you will go out and drop the same amount of money on a XBOX 360 and ‘World of Warcraft’ without batting an eye; but babble like a baby when your Service tells you to buy a uniform. Lieutenants are overpaid as it is, don’t draw attention to yourself and look like a fool claiming you’re not.

Cheers! M2

F***ing right! Just get it and quit whining!

• 1 month later...

Anyone know where I can buy the chain fastener for the mess dress jacket? I bought my mess dress at the McGuire thrift store for $25 but it didn't come with the chain fastener and the local AAFES store and online AAFES doesn't have it. Thanks.

• 11 months later...

Old thread revival...

Can anyone help a new 2LT with my mess dress? Basically, I don't know how the shoulder boards are supposed to be "secured" onto the uniform. There's a small strip of fabric that came with it when I bought it from AAFES.

Old thread revival...

Can anyone help a new 2LT with my mess dress? Basically, I don't know how the shoulder boards are supposed to be "secured" onto the uniform. There's a small strip of fabric that came with it when I bought it from AAFES.

Umm...unless yours are completely different from every other set I have seen, there should be a leather tab on the underside of the board. It is stictched along the outside edge and there is a single snap on the inside end of it.

Unsnap it, slide it under the two retaining loops sewn onto the shoulder of your mess dress, then snap it back down. Can't quote 36-2902 chapter-and-verse (thankfully) but IIRC the outer edge of the board should be flush with

the shoulder seam.

Hope that answers your question. Bravo on using the search function, hence the ancient thread revival. SH.

Edited by Bergman

Unless, of course, he bought an enlisted mess dress, which doesn't have the loops for the shoulder boards!

And, just to save you some money for when you pin on 1st Lt, go buy some Testor silver model paint! :thumbsup:

Cheers! M2

Old thread revival...

That small piece of fabric should be sewn onto the shoulders, two strips per side, so you can slide the tab under it that Bergman described. If you got it from a base the tailor can usually put them on without fvcking it up too much. If you ordered it from an AAFES catalog you can take it to a reputable tailor and take the rank with you so they can get an understanding on how to sew the strips of fabric in the proper places. Save the alteration receipt and send it into AAFES to get your money back.

Just read this thread...AWESOME revival by the way!

Anyway, thought I'd add a couple things.

1. My FE has been studying for his MSgt promotion test throughout this deployment, and has been educating us for 12 hours at a time on the flight deck; hence my excuse for knowing 36-2903 (35-10 for old heads) well enough to know that Mess Dress is a REQUIRED uniform for officers and optional for enlisted. In short, be ready when your commander line of site tasks you to attend the AF Ball or dining out or whatever else might come up.

2. The officers and Enlisted mess dress coats are no different when you buy them. When you get yours tailored at AAFES, you tell 'em you're an officer and they sew the silver braid on the cuffs and leave the loops for the shoulder boards on the coat. If you are enlisted, they pitch the silver cuffs, and cut the loops out of the shoulders of the jacket. Therefore, if you bought you jacket from an enlisted troop, the loops will be missing, as will the silver bands on the cuffs. Solution: Don't be such a cheap ass and go buy a coat new from AAFES. If you bought your jacket from AAFES and it does not have the loops on the shoulders, it means that those cheap-asses recycled a coat that was returned by someone (Highly probable); return it and get the correct one.

Just read this thread...AWESOME revival by the way!

Anyway, thought I'd add a couple things.

1. My FE has been studying for his MSgt promotion test throughout this deployment, and has been educating us for 12 hours at a time on the flight deck; hence my excuse for knowing 36-2903 (35-10 for old heads) well enough to know that Mess Dress is a REQUIRED uniform for officers and optional for enlisted. In short, be ready when your commander line of site tasks you to attend the AF Ball or dining out or whatever else might come up.

2. The officers and Enlisted mess dress coats are no different when you buy them. When you get yours tailored at AAFES, you tell 'em you're an officer and they sew the silver braid on the cuffs and leave the loops for the shoulder boards on the coat. If you are enlisted, they pitch the silver cuffs, and cut the loops out of the shoulders of the jacket. Therefore, if you bought you jacket from an enlisted troop, the loops will be missing, as will the silver bands on the cuffs. Solution: Don't be such a cheap ass and go buy a coat new from AAFES. If you bought your jacket from AAFES and it does not have the loops on the shoulders, it means that those cheap-asses recycled a coat that was returned by someone (Highly probable); return it and get the correct one.

I can attest to the line of sight AF Ball tasking. It is a matter of time before it happens.

As of late the loops both the silver sleeve bands and board loops are just put into the pocket. Make sure the tailor puts the silver bands on the sleeve the proper distance AFTER they alter the sleeve length if necessary.

And, just to save you some money for when you pin on 1st Lt, go buy some Testor silver model paint! :thumbsup:

Cheers! M2

2 on the silver paint! However, DO NOT be a supreme cheap ass and then try to sell said painted rank to some dumbass 1LT when you make Capt.

When I pinned on 1Lt during the first war (Clinton administration) I was a rich, single Lt stationed overseas making $900 a month in COLA. So, I bought the new rank, donated my old ones, and bought the scotch. Guess hind sight being 20/20 I could have used the paint and bought 2 bottles.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...