Private Pilot License (PPL) questions

PapaJu

Guest F16crewdwgg
The pilot license doesn't matter at all for getting a slot in ROTC, but if you can finish up in 10 hrs or so, just get it done. Plus, the more hours you get, the more "air sense" you'll have...it can only help you.

Where does everyone get this stuff from? The PPL will help you and your major in school does also play a role..

just read this, mostly towards the middle:

http://www.hec.afrl.af.mil/Publications/AS...CSMStat.doc.pdf

"The pilot

production requirement is applied to produce an initial cut line. The selection board then reviews

the list considering all information presented. It may accept the rank-ordered list as presented or

adjust the ordering on the basis of selection criteria independent of the COM score (e.g., ROTC

detachment, gender, race/ethnicity, previous flying experience, field training awards, academic

major)."

Edited by F16crewdwgg

I get this info from BTDT...you? I don't care what your rando-reg says, it doesn't matter. Countless people w/o PPLs get pilot slots every year. I will say it is POSSIBLE for a CC to consider PPLs when ranking cadets, but I bet it's safe to say 98.69% of them don't do that. There is absolutely no other place in the entire "pilot slot ranking system" where the PPL matters. So unless you're Det CC is the one guy who actually ranks one cadet above another just b/c of a PPL, then it doesn't matter.

Having a PPL shows the Det CC that your serious about flying and he may or may not consider that in the CC ranking (I won't throw out a statistic bc I haven't asked each of them). Our detachment requested copies of licenses before the board met.......having a PPL certainly can't hurt you.

Guest F16crewdwgg
I get this info from BTDT...you? I don't care what your rando-reg says, it doesn't matter. Countless people w/o PPLs get pilot slots every year. I will say it is POSSIBLE for a CC to consider PPLs when ranking cadets, but I bet it's safe to say 98.69% of them don't do that. There is absolutely no other place in the entire "pilot slot ranking system" where the PPL matters. So unless you're Det CC is the one guy who actually ranks one cadet above another just b/c of a PPL, then it doesn't matter.

I did not say that you needed one. I just don't think you should be telling people it does not matter if you do not know yourself. Just because you got a slot without a pilot license, does not mean its a waste of time to get one. I think you get one chance at doing something, give it all you got, even if it never did matter, at least you threw everything you had at them. What about the people who are border line? Statistics show right there, when you are border line everything about you is taking in consideration. The PPL for some might just be the straw that broke the camels back. I say get your PPL its a small price to pay to help you become who you want to be.

I just don't think you should be telling people it does not matter if you do not know yourself. Just because you got a slot without a pilot license, does not mean its a waste of time to get one.

I had a license when I got a slot, so no I'm not one who got a slot w/o a license, but I know countless people do/did.

I think you get one chance at doing something, give it all you got, even if it never did matter, at least you threw everything you had at them.

And that's exactly why I said this a couple posts ago..."but if you can finish up in 10 hrs or so, just get it done. Plus, the more hours you get, the more "air sense" you'll have...it can only help you."

I very much agree you should get a PPL if at all possible. I think it can help some especially who may not make it through IFS w/o prior flying experience. However, it is still incorrect to make it sound like a PPL is going to make a difference when getting a slot. If there's any difference at all, it's minimal. Now actual flight time does make a difference. I strongly doubt any CC will rank a dude w/ 45 hrs and a PPL over a dude w/ 45 hrs and no PPL just b/c the first guy has a license.

Get it because you are close to finishing it anyhow, regardless of whether or not it helps your application. After you get it, do the $100 hamburger, take a date out flying, go sightseeing, (or all three...) etc etc.

If for whatever reason you don't get picked up for a pilot slot, you still have that PPL. Stopping, then restarting your training later in the future is a pain (I did that) as you end up paying for flights just to get a refresher on the things you have already learned and may have forgotten.

Where does everyone get this stuff from? The PPL will help you and your major in school does also play a role..

It's possible that i'm wrong, but I highly doubt that this is true. In our class of 9, 4 of us got pilot slots...none of us had PPL, only 2 of us had any hours (less than 5), and our majors are criminal justice, public administration, and 2 sociology majors. So, in our case (i'll bet most, if not all other dets also), those other factors most likely did not play a part in our selection.

"The pilot

production requirement is applied to produce an initial cut line. The selection board then reviews

the list considering all information presented. It may accept the rank-ordered list as presented or

adjust the ordering on the basis of selection criteria independent of the COM score (e.g., ROTC

detachment, gender, race/ethnicity, previous flying experience, field training awards, academic

major)."

Note that it says MAY. I wonder how much extra work that puts on the board. I think they have this process fairly streamlined (could be way off here), and to throw gender and race and all that in there...I just see EEO knocking on the door. Just my very uneducated take on that.

If you (original poster) are that close to a PPL, go for it as long as it won't break the bank. It can do nothing but help you in the quest for a pilot slot and wings down the road.

If for whatever reason you don't get picked up for a pilot slot, you still have that PPL

That might be the bottom line.

• 1 year later...
Anyone have any? I have the flight hour requirements down and passed the written (as in just passed). I can do the flying pretty well but the knowledge part sucks. I have the ASA Oral Exam Guide. Should I just rely on that?

Good PPL gouge is your POH, FAR/AIM, and PTS. That's all you need to know

I heavily relied on the ASA oral exam guide for my PPL. I ended up only being asked about 25 questions total , and about 15 of them were from the guide. Several of the questions asked were focused on hypothetical situations that were almost like brainteasers. Being able to have the knowledge was pretty much expected by the examiner. He was really trying to determine my knowledge mixed with decision-making skills.

There is something however that is important that you won't find in a book. When you walk in to meet the examiner, don't be a scared rabbit with nothing to say. Ask him/her questions about their flying career. What kind of aircraft they flew? etc. This helps to break the ice and will result in a smoother Q & A seession. PM sent.

The evaluator I had was an asshole, and really didn't seem to like doing that part of the job. He asked all sorts of questions that dealt with instrument rating info, and went really into the weeds. However, I did learn a lot, and still have a hunger for the knowledge side.

Know the practical test standards and you can't fail (the ground portion anyway). That's all they can ask you so if you know all that stuff for the ground eval, you'll do fine. Same applies for instrument, commercial, etc.

For example, on my cfi oral I had my PTS out the entire time with notes I had made of where to reference certain regs or diagrams. The instructor said he liked it and showed that I was prepared.

Having said that, the examiner will know more than you, and if you are doing really well, they will ask you something you won't know to see if you can think on your feet and look up the information or figure it out. Don't stress about that and just learn from it. The examiner isn't trying to make you fail, they're trying to teach you something.

Good luck!

Thanks for the replies. The biggest concern I had was that since I barely passed the written (72%), I was told that the oral was going to be a bitch. I thought about re-taking the written but was told that it'd be a waste of time.

I do have both the PTS and Oral Exam Guide so I'll use that to prep.

:salut:

Just don't kill your evaluator and don't suck in the ground eval and you'll pass.

cheers :beer:

Ahh...I wish that was the case 100% of the time. I def got hosed by an evaluator nickle and diming me on everything that added up to the big "fail." We took off, performed all the maneuvers within tolerances, and landed at home field. Take offs = landings and nobody got scared or died. Anways...still bitter (even though it was 2 years ago) and I guess I'm a nav for a reason...

Good luck man...that situation doesn't happen very much at all so do your best and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the replies. The biggest concern I had was that since I barely passed the written (72%), I was told that the oral was going to be a bitch. I thought about re-taking the written but was told that it'd be a waste of time.

My experience is that the lower your test score, the more questions you may get in the oral portion.

The biggest thing I learned, especially when I got my IFR rating, was don't BS any answer. If they hit on a topic you don't know. Tell them that you are not totally sure of the answer, but you know where to get the answer. Look it up in the AIM, FAR, POH, etc that you have with you in front of them. IF you show you know the manuals well enough to look something up quickly, it will usually not be held against you. Just don't do it for every question. Most reasonable FAA examiners understand that you won't have the entire AIM or FARs memorized. WIth that said, there is also that one exception. Hopefully that isn't the examiner that you get.

Also, ask others who have taken rides with your examiner. If you learn they are a jerk, schedule with another examiner. Most CFIs know who the good ones are in their area.

2 on the test score helping out your oral exam. I studied hard, and I had a 97 on my written test. My oral exam was about an hour and fifteen minutes, and none of the questions were really that difficult. Another guy at my flight school had something like a 78 on his written, and he got grilled for almost three hours. The examiner told me as much at the end of that part. Do well on the written and the oral will be easy. Don't do well, and you'll have an interesting time. And remember it's open book, too. If you don't know a question, look it up! The examiner will be testing you as much on your ability to do some research and find the answer to a question you don't know as he is on your rote memorization. And finally, don't get nervous. When your CFI signs you off to take the checkride, you're a private pilot. You're just defending that to the DPE.

The knowledge test has these little codes somewhere on the form that tells the examiner the subjects of the questions you got wrong, so make sure that you understand those areas pretty well because they'll probably ask you a lot about them. Also just make sure not to dig yourself into a hole on any of the questions by answering more than they asked (ex. Q: What causes a stall? A: The wing exceeding the critical angle of attack (good). Don't go into a lengthy discussion about theoretical aerodynamics).

...was don't BS any answer. If they hit on a topic you don't know. Tell them that you are not totally sure of the answer, but you know where to get the answer. Look it up in the AIM, FAR, POH, etc that you have with you in front of them. IF you show you know the manuals well enough to look something up quickly, it will usually not be held against you...

... And remember it's open book, too. If you don't know a question, look it up! The examiner will be testing you as much on your ability to do some research and find the answer...

This is HUGE. These guys are spot on and can't emphasize it enough. He is basically evaluating you on 1. Safety, and 2. knowing the rules and not getting violated. Easy enough around your home field were you know what to watch out for. He knows that is where you will be doing most of your flying and may not know everything else. But show him if you do face something you are unsure about you know how to find and not break #1 and 2 above. Good luck

• 10 months later...
Guest GringoBoy87

Hey all, just a quick question. I am going to get my private pilots license and have chosen a school that has a Super Decathlon (tail-wheel acrobatic aircraft). I'm choosing it because I am somewhat of an aviation purist and I view the Decathlon as a way to recapture that old flying experience. My question is, for a beginner pilot who is considering joining the military to fly, would this be an appropriate (or an ok) aircraft to learn on? Or should I just stick to the more modern Cessna's, Pipers, or Diamonds? I figured I could learn to fly tail-wheel and then just check flight on other aircraft when I want to fly them. Thanks.

Hey all, just a quick question. I am going to get my private pilots license and have chosen a school that has a Super Decathlon (tail-wheel acrobatic aircraft). I'm choosing it because I am somewhat of an aviation purist and I view the Decathlon as a way to recapture that old flying experience. My question is, for a beginner pilot who is considering joining the military to fly, would this be an appropriate (or an ok) aircraft to learn on? Or should I just stick to the more modern Cessna's, Pipers, or Diamonds? I figured I could learn to fly tail-wheel and then just check flight on other aircraft when I want to fly them. Thanks.

Well it's not exactly a very tame aircraft to learn on and it doesn't have any VOR equipment, but I love them. As far as military flying goes, I'm sure any of the pilot's on this forum will tell you that civilian flight training will not help you pass UPT. Flight hours will help your pilot selection score.

Personally, I think the Decathlon is a bit too responsive for a beginner, but take a couple flights in it first to see if you can handle it.

I will say flight time helps in UPT to an extent, however I think a Super Decathlon is too much for a new guy. Yes, you should do the standard Cessna/Piper gig and then when you get your PPL, go get the tailwheel sign-off and some aerobatic training (why else would you fly a SD anyways). Not to mention I"m sure the SD is a lot more money than the 172 and since there's only one, it's going to be a bigger PITA to schedule. It just doesn't make sense to try and get your PPL on the SD.