Private Pilot License (PPL) questions

PapaJu

There's no IFT anymore. They've changed to the flight screening program which will be based in Pueblo, CO. Wish I could help ya more, but I did IFT and won't be of much more help. If you search around on the AETC website you might find the answers since they seem to modify it every week or so.

If you have a PPL, you skip it all together. If you don't have it, you get 25 hours at IFS at your local base. It will eventually be organized at one location.

• 4 months later...
Guest willworks

If a student in ROTC wants to get their Private Pilot's License (PPL) before Initial Flight Training (IFT), are there incentive programs through the Air Force to help pay for their training? Do they need to be selected as a pilot candidate first? Any ideas who to contact? (AFROTC.com or their 1-800-# didn't seem to have the answers)

Guest pull chocks

AFROTC does not have any incentive programs or money for you to get your PPL before IFT. All of the money comes out of your pocket and you will not be reimbersed if you choose to get it. Civil Air Patrol might offer some opportunities but I'm not sure. Even IFT has been changed to IFS (Initial Flight Screening) which only pays for 25 hours of flight and doesn't get you your PPL. It's only purpose is to screen pilot candidates before they start UPT.

• 1 month later...
Guest ghostfighter

I have been searching for information about what books to buy for PPL with little to no success.

I was wondering if anyone with their PPL could reccommend which books to buy. I am trying to go the 61 route and do most of the ground prep on my own to save money as I don't have much extra income to waste. Although with the extra flight hours required (10) for 61 vs 141 do I actually save anything by going that route?

As far as buying books it seems that either

Student Kits - ASA- $99.95

Student Kits - Jeppesen- $186.15

Student Kits - Gleim- $159.95

seem to be the way to go. Found at http://www.spinnerspilotshop.com. Are these the three best instruction manuals out?

Edit: just noticed the pilot supplies icon on the top but i would still like opinions

[ 21. August 2006, 15:10: Message edited by: ghostfighter ]

Guest wcsmithut

I'm just wrapping up my PPL, need a checkride and night flight, and just started about 3.5 weeks ago. I got the Jeppesen Private Pilot Handbook (basically a textbook) and the accompanying study guide. That should run you about 75 bucks max (check ebay). Aside from that all you need is a flight computer, plotter, A/FD, and a sectional for your area.

I flew in the mornings, worked during the day, and studied at night... passed the test no sweat. Read the book, then use the study guide (they are very similar if not the same questions from the test).

You will eventually need a flightbag, headset, FAR/AIM, etc but if you are on a budget and trying to get it done quickly (like I was), just get the textbook and the test guide to prepare for the test.

Guest bullseyekp

Kits, in my opinion, are a ripoff.

Tour eBay and find a Private Pilot textbook from Jeppesen. For everything else, I'd suggest ASA as they're usually cheaper than Jeppesen. Also, check out the store over at pilotmall.com/studentpilot.com and cruise the forum for suggestions.

I made it through my PPL with a used Jeppesen textbook (about 5 years old - $25), a $25 ASA metal micro E6B, a $5 ASA plotter, a $20 ASA PPL study guide (question bank) and the requisite FAR/AIM, sectional and AFD. Kneeboards, headsets and all those other things are nice to have but by no means necessary, especially if you are on a budget.

Guest sleepy

ghostfighter-

If all you want to do is pass the test, think simple. I hope you actually want to learn the material, too.

There is a lot of superfluous junk in those kits.

The Jepp books are designed more for a 141 school. The pictures are nice and colorful, but the info is the same.

My advice: Get the ASA book (it's usually the least expensive), highlight the correct answers, and study it. Then go to Sporty's website and fish your way around to find the practice tests. Total cost should be no more than $14.

Good luck!

EDIT: It took me twenty minutes to type that because I was working, so bullseye beat me. See if someone you know will let you borrow the E6B and plotter. You'll need to look professional for the checkride. But for the written, you won't need it. Answer all the non-planning questions correctly because you have the answers, and simply skip the math questions that require too much time. You'll still walk out of there with a 90+, which is 20+ points too many.

[ 21. August 2006, 16:10: Message edited by: sleepy ]

In terms of having to take a test really quickly, the Gleim books are the same as an MQF. It's pretty good to study, but not much for actually learning the material. But ask 200 people, you'll probably get 200 answers as to which is best. Gleim is the actual written test questions taken from a bank, IIRC.

I think the Jeppesen books have the best visual aids but the ASA books go further in depth. I trained with Jeppesen up until my CFII but when I started teaching I used the ASA. Plus, like someone mentioned earlier, the ASA books are cheaper. Ebay is definitely the place to look.

Guest thefranchise

I have all the Jepp books from PPL to Multi-Commercial. I thought they were descent for the training i did.

www.amazon.com is probably the best source for used books.

Either way, you'll need:

-plotter

-E6B / flight computer of some sort

-fuel tester

-logbook

-sectional map

Also, definitely spend time at the link spinner posted for practice tests. I know it paid off for me when I took the written

• 11 months later...
Guest AZ Skies

I'm looking to apply for the February board, and have only a few months before my package must be submitted. I don't have any flying experience. Is this going to severely hurt my chances for getting picked up? I'm prior service AF, with a good record and good academic numbers. I would like to get some flight time in, but with school and my family (married with two kids), flight time is too expensive right now. Should I try and find a way to eat the cost (i.e. loan/credit), or should I just apply as is, with no flight time. Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Guest agflyboyaf
I'm looking to apply for the February board, and have only a few months before my package must be submitted. I don't have any flying experience. Is this going to severely hurt my chances for getting picked up? I'm prior service AF, with a good record and good academic numbers. I would like to get some flight time in, but with school and my family (married with two kids), flight time is too expensive right now. Should I try and find a way to eat the cost (i.e. loan/credit), or should I just apply as is, with no flight time. Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

If you are going active duty, I wouldn't go into debt just to get a PPL. There are many people who get flying slots with no prior flying experience and the AF will send them to get it.

If you're going guard/reserve, I am not sure how much credit they give to someone for already having it.

Guest TCMMOOSEDRVR

You dont need it to go through OTS, however if you want to be a pilot I recommend it. I know that most all ANG/AFRC units require it, mine does. However if you dont you will have to do IFT with the Air Force and that is just one more chance for the AF to get rid of you. I strongly recommend getting some time before UPT. Let me know if you have any more questions.

I was picked up for an OTS Pilot slot with 0 hours. If your numbers are good and your package is strong, it can be done.

Wings

• 2 weeks later...
Guest AirTime

Are you trying for a pilot slot? The FY 08 boards for rated start in October (in two months) and May is the next one after that. Not sure where you are getting February. Maybe you are looking at the non-rated board. FY 08 Board Dates

If you are going for Pilot, getting hours will definatly help your package no doubt. If you are going non-rated then I wouldn't worry about flight hours if you have good afoqt scores and a good gpa.

Another thought is if you are prior service and still in school you can use your gibill to pay for flight training. I am applying for the may board and plan to roll in with over 100 hours and a ppl and instrument ticket all paid for by uncle sam. They won't pay for PPL, you have to use left over college money for that, but instrument is 60%. That means they will pay up to 60% of instrument ticket cost.

Edited by AirTime

• 3 months later...

I have about 40 hours of flying time and would probably need about 10 more to get my PP License. Getting the license is not important enough for me right now if it doesn't affect my getting a pilot slot in ROTC. I know flight hours affects your PCSM, but does having a license even matter? Thanks.

I know flight hours affects your PCSM, but does having a license even matter? Thanks.

Yes. Get your PPL. By having your PPL, you will have...

Something that 99% of our population doesn't have.

Pride in knowing that you completed the PPL program and finished what you started.

Firsthand knowledge of what a checkride is like. I promise, you can read all the descriptions you want. Until you take the real thing, you don't know what it's like, or how you'll perform. If you can help it, why would you set yourself up to take your first EVER checkride at IFS, where it counts, when you can take a PPL checkride and learn what it's like to take one beforehand?

An enhancement which can round out your package (sts). If I there are two dudes who want pilot slots, both with equal scores, grades, etc and one has a PPL, the other doesn't, who do you think will get the slot? I probably wouldn't have even been called to interview at the guard unit that hired me for my slot had I not earned my PPL.

A really really cool p**** magnet. I'm not kidding, the first time I surprised my wife by flying her to dinner on the beach and flying her back, I got the best...ahm...well, she told me in no uncertain terms what a good time she had!

Get it. Especially if your instructor thinks you're 10 hrs away from signing you off.