Private Pilot License (PPL) questions

PapaJu

Prices down here in Atlanta suck as well. Our 172's go for $85 and instructors for $40. We have a bunch of SP's that go for $115. Basically, nothing is cheap. Thats why I find rich people that own their own planes that they let me fly.

Oh yeah, $6K is the average down here.

[ 24. March 2005, 17:14: Message edited by: c17wannabe ]

• 4 months later...
Guest hoeltje

Obviously, if you have your private pilot's license, you don't have to attend IFT. But, what happens if you commission and your PPL is not current. Do they require you to get current? Or is it acceptable not to be current while entering UPT?

I heard about a lot of guys doing JUST enough hours towards their PPL so that they knew what the hell they were doing, just shy of getting their license, and then getting to do the whole IFT program and get their license out of the deal (ie, 40 or so extra hours of flying time). Of course, the way they are restructuring the IFT program, that will probably no longer be the case.

• 4 months later...

There is an oral exam guide out there for Private/Instrument/Commercial/Flight Instructor certificates. Maybe more. Check this link to see what I am talking about. You can usually pick these up at any FBO. This is stuff you should know, though not everything, and is not specific to any examiner just to the particular certificate in general. Any other questions feel free to PM me.

Exam Guide

Originally posted by Sneedro:

There is an oral exam guide out there for Private/Instrument/Commercial/Flight Instructor certificates. Maybe more. Check this link to see what I am talking about. You can usually pick these up at any FBO. This is stuff you should know, though not everything, and is not specific to any examiner just to the particular certificate in general. Any other questions feel free to PM me.

Exam Guide

The guides he is talking about are little booklets called FAA Oral Exam Guide. Many examiners use this book verbatim for their oral exam. You should have general knowlwedge of everything outside this book of course. But if you know that booklet you will pass.

A lot of examiners will let future applicants sit in on the ORAL portion of the practical test. Might not be a bad idea to give your DPE a call and ask, or maybe your CFI will know if he's ok with that.

Guest Piperpilot2004

I thought the Oral was the easiest portion of the whole process to getting the Private. It took about 15 minutes.. He asked me about 10-15 basic questions when it came to navigation then he actually started giving a lesson on weather. I dont know if this is common practice but he said he does it for every applicant. My advice would be to learn as much about the 172 as possible and skim over the sections you may have scored low on the writen. Most examiners know that you are not a 3663hour ATP or fighter pilot...you really know very little still, and its just a ticket to learn. Try to wear something nice so the examiner knows this is a big day for you. Focus on the flying portion more, and relax. You will do fine. If you not, dont be ashamed it happens!

try this trial out.. its not too bad

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/

well goodluck..keep us informed how you do, and sorry for the poor english-its been a long day

Guest mo7stanley

Things you should no cold for the Private oral:

-Airspace and how to identify it on the sectional charts (Cloud Clearance and Visibility and entry requirements)

-Know where you need a transponder

-The sectional chart and what everything means

-The basic aeromedical factors

-Aerodynamics

-Be able to describe how to recover from a spin

-Weight and balance

-Your privileges and limitations as a private pilot

-Be able to explain your flight plan to him and know your first few check points since you will probably start out flying it and he will want you to find out where you are just using the sectional and the ground.

A trick to remembering Class G airspace: Draw one verticle line. On the vertical line place two horizontal lines intersecting it. You should end up with six spaces altogether with 3 on each side. The vertical line represents day and night The lower horizontal line represents 1,200 ft AGL. and the top represents 10,000 ft MSL.

On the day side in each section going down you write 5, 1, 1. On the night side going the same way write 5, 3, 3.

Those are the visibility requirements. Then you have to add in the cloud clearance requirements. on the top two sections you have "111" (1000 above, 1000, below, and 1 mile horizontal). everything else but the bottom left hand section is "152" (1 above, 500 below, and 2000 horizontal). Finally, you have the lower left hand corner which is "Clear of clouds" and walla you now know class G airspace.

Weight and balance for Privat Pilot is pretty easy if you know the formula: Wieght X Arm = Moment and Total Moment divided by Total Wieght = CG. A way to remember that is to make the "M" stems interact wit the "W" stems and you have that formula.

M = CG

W

Recovery from a spin Acronym is: PARE

Power idle

Ailerons nuetral

Rudder opposite that of rotation (to stop the rotation)

Eelevator down (to break the stall)

Your instructor will most likely know what your specific examiner usually tests and so he should have a lot of info. It will most likely not be 10-15 questions it will more than likely be an hour to three hours.

Hope this helps and let us know how you do.

Guest comanche

Get a copy of the PTS and know the stuff that is listed. My DE went right down the list. I believe one of the first things are AD's. I've known a couple people to fail because they just knew what it stood for and nothing else.

Re-check?? Are you talking about a biannual?? If so, it is every 2 years from your most recent rating, and it can be done with any flight instructor. It will most likely resemble a checkride because that covers almost everything in the shortest timeframe. It is just to make sure you can still fly. The difference between it and a checkride is that you cant fail, and you arent getting a new certificate. If they dont sign you off, they just give you more training till they feel you are safe enough to be on your own again.

Originally posted by Ryder1587:

I got my private a few months back. When you have to take the re-check in like 3 years is it the whole thing over again or just a small version of the original test?

I think you misunderstand the bi-annual flight review which is due every 2 years. It is not another check ride - it is just a requirement to go up with an instructor at least every 2 years for a review of your procedures...stalls, turns, pattern work, etc. The ones I've done have been very low threat and are really no big deal - after all, the whole point is just to make sure you haven't forgotten everything and are still safe to be operating an aircraft.

Perhaps some of the aged CFIs out there will have better info. I've never heard of anyone "failing" their flight review, if that's even possible.

Originally posted by comanche:I believe one of the first things are AD's. I've known a couple people to fail because they just knew what it stood for and nothing else.

I have to waive the BS flag if you're talking about Airworthiness Directives - unless it's YOUR airplane, why would someone hook a PPL check for not knowing the ADs for a RENTED airplane? As long as you can QC the forms and preflight the airplane to ensure it's safe to fly...what more do you need to know? My GA experience is fairly limited, so perhaps I've missed something.

For a PPL you should know how to check the forms (all inspections are up to date), be able to do a good check of weather and make a good decision to go or not go, and know any information that a private pilot may run across. These type of things would include airspace, regs, limited systems knowledge (just the general stuff), and anything else you might have to deal with. There are examiners out there who are azzholes and expect way too much out of an applicant. If you fail, bounce back and take it again. Had a student fail after the examiner pulled out the "examiner training guide" (or something like that) and start quizzing him on anything and everything weather. It was WAY over his head and most of the instructors heads including myself. I waved the BS flag but what are you going to do?? He bounced back and passed the next time. If you get a d!ck, so be it. It happens time to time.

Guest comanche

Bergman I didn't say he had to go through and look at all AD's for that plane. There are 3 types of AD's. The DE asked what they were, and the kid didn't even know there were 3 types. I've only had to go through the logbook once in all of my checkrides and check AD's and that is when the DE was getting a checkride by the FAA at the sametime I was getting mine.

Also they aren't called BFR's anymore just flight review

Guest comanche

Sleepy reference one more time or better yet here you go.

http://www.faa.gov/education_research/test...-S-8081-14A.pdf

page 28 1B2A is the reference.

I can't copy and paste it for you but it clearly states locating and explaining-

airworthiness directives

Edit: Should you be able to go through them one by one, NO. Should you know all about them YES.

[ 06. December 2005, 22:53: Message edited by: comanche ]

As for checking the papers, I was taught to use the ARROW acronym:

Airworthiness

Registration

Radio

O: (Can't remember that one right meow)

Weight and Balance.

Hoser

Guest comanche

Operating handbook (POH)

It is now AROW you don't need the radio license anymore, unless it is international.

Originally posted by comanche:

Operating handbook (POH)

It is now AROW you don't need the radio license anymore, unless it is international.

Impress your examiner...only aircraft certified under part 23 of the FARs are required to have the POH on board. I think the effetive date is 1 March 1979 (FAR 21.5). Thus, for an old bird, all you need is ARW.

Any examiner who requires a private pilot candidate to research AD's beyone the point of pointing out where the IA noted that all AD's C/W at the last annual should be beaten with a spoiled ham.

EDIT: changing date. Thanks, Sneedro.

[ 07. December 2005, 21:29: Message edited by: sleepy ]

Guest soflguy

ASA Oral Exam Prep is probably the best guide on the market

And don't try to impress your examiner... you drop a useless piece of info to look cool and he'll just probe deeper. Then you'll feel dumb. Just be confident, not afraid to laugh, and above all remember YOU are paying HIM, so YOU run the show. Good luck!

Guest comanche

O is not operating limitations. You could have a copy of your operating limitations and no copy of your POH and you'd be illegal. You are checking documents, a POH is required to be on board. Unless it is super old.

I agree with soflguy DO NOT try to impress him and just answer his question. Do not go volunteer a ton of info and dig yourself a hole. He'll just give you a bigger shovel and see how deep you go.

On my ppl ride he pulled out a sectional and asked me what most things were. Don’t be afraid to use the legend if you don’t know.

Guest soflguy
O is not operating limitations. You could have a copy of your operating limitations and no copy of your POH and you'd be illegal. You are checking documents, a POH is required to be on board. Unless it is super old.
"O" can stand for Operating Limitations, because it not only includes the POH (which is required), but also any required placards (compass deviation, C-172 placard that states not authorized for flight into known icing, etc). You won't be wrong by saying POH by any means, but Op limits is often used because its more inclusive... either way, you're good to go.

Originally posted by Sneedro:

...In the mid 70's, maybe later dont know, the cessna operating handbook was a general paperbound book. So the a/c's operating limitations were nothing more than EVERY placard in the a/c. Talk about a pain in the a$$!! Going through and making sure all the placards were there and if they had fallen off and been put back on, then that had to be documented in the books. Pure laziness, the reason I steer away from Cessnas without a specific POH!! Anymore these days though, POH's are required because they come airplane specific. I need a beer!!

I am prematurely posting, but somewhere there is something (how's that for knowing what I'm talking about?) that states that these airplanes with s/n specific POHs must comply not only with all applicable AD's, but also with all service bulletin's from the manufacturer.

I own one of those "older" Cessnas that only has an owner's manual. About once every other week I receive some kind of silly notice from the FAA about something or another that doesn't even apply to my s/n. If any of that documentation and compliance requirements applied to my airplane (which is still for sale), I would think it would be a much bigger asspain than simply ensuring that the placards are in the airplane.

I'll take an old airplane any day over a new one. The older the airplane is, the less the FAA knows about it. Therefore, as long as we can keep 'em in the air (old airplanes are dangerous!), there is less bulls!t paperwork to put up with. There's a butt for every seat, though. I have enjoyed this discussion. Well, except for all those who kept trying to buy vowels.

Maybe there is something I said here that wasn't absolutely worthless. I'll do more homework on this, even if it's just for personal enrichment.

Guest comanche

Actually, the O stands for operating manual. That covers POH/AFM. I made a mistake on taking the short cut and saying POH and leaving out AFM. Also I'm not going to look up 91.9 to see if it actually has AROW listed in it because I know it doesn't. So stating a FAR for an acronym kind of made me laugh. Cheers

Guest soflguy

§ 91.9 Civil aircraft flight manual, marking, and placard requirements.

(a) Except as provided in paragraph (d) of this section, no person may operate a civil aircraft without complying with the operating limitations specified in the approved Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual, markings, and placards, or as otherwise prescribed by the certificating authority of the country of registry.

• 2 months later...