Questions on ribbons/medals

Guest ClemsonFlyBoy

OK, I know this isn't an aviation question, but considering the vast experience on this board I figured it would be a great place to get a good answer. I've always wondered why AF officers never wear ribbons on blues. I know there's no reg against it but that it's generally frowned upon. Anybody know the history or reasoning? I'm mainly curious because I'm tired of not having a good answer when all the Navy/Marine studs ask me. "I don't know, nobody does it" just doesn't seem to cut it.

The tradition is actually just to not wear ribbons on the blues shirt. If you're wearing Class As/Service Dress, officers wear "all, some, or none".

Why? I have no idea. The tradition pre-dates the (recent) times when every USAF specialty had a badge, though.

[ 27. December 2004, 05:12: Message edited by: Hacker ]

Actually the "some" has been done away with now...its all or none.

Personally I think most people don't do it just because it is a pain. Not to mention very uncomfortable if you have a full rack on the blue shirt and then put on a jacket with a full rack.

I had it explained to me by an O-7 who was also prior enlisted while I was at OTS. Essentially it goes that I, as a prior, shouldn't strut around like a peacock with a tossed salad on my chest next to my officer brethren fresh from the academy or other comm sources. It shows lack of support for and solidarity with fellow officers.

The look also shows a touch of class in a minimalist sense.

Many prior-E officers do wear them to set them apart from the "brand new kids." It gives them more credability with the enlisted from day one.

The rest of the Os don't really give a hoot & did not go through a basic training where the role models told you that you should wear the ribbons.

And if you are a pilot or nav, you wear your blues so little that you would have to hit the uniform store every time just to keep them up to date. I went one full assignment (maybe 2) without seeing my blues.

CAVOK

• 1 month later...

Alright my story: I'm in the guard and just got back from a deployment. I spent around 200+ days in theater (combat zone) and the last reg i saw showed that anyone who spent 181+ days in an area that was designated as a combat zone was eligible for a short tour. Now the people at my base are unable to get "clarification" on what the rules are for this. Anyone know where i can find the reg that states the eligibility for awards?

Thanks,

John

[ 29. January 2005, 12:47: Message edited by: JL ]

From the AFPC website,

Short Tour Criteria:

A. TDY Overseas(OS) starting on or after 11 Sep 2001

B. TDY a minimum of 181 consecutive days

C. TDY location is designated by DOD as a hostile fire or imminent danger pay area as outlined in the DOD Financial Management Regulation Volume 7a, Chapter 10, Figure 10-1, designated hostile fire or imminent danger pay area.

Sounds like you should be eligible. For any further clarification there are contact numbers at the AFPC link above.

EDIT: Are you asking whether you're eligible for short tour credit, or eligible for the ribbon? If you are eligible for a short tour (which it sounds like you are), then you should automatically be eligible for the short tour ribbon. Again, the AFPC dudes should know this.

[ 29. January 2005, 15:52: Message edited by: Toro ]

I'm trying to find out if i am eligible for both the ribbon and the credit. I was/am under the impression i am... I dont know why my MPF is being such a pain about it, its almost like it'll make them look bad or something. I'm considering joining rotc and am would like to have everything straight and figured out before i start going through the paper work process.....

Thanks for the help from everyone.

Guest rumblefish_2

Robes is right, if you are in the Guard and deployed for more than 90 days then you are eligible for the ribbon. I got mine that way for 128 days at Al Salem. No idea on short tour credit, but if you're in the Guard, what does it matter? You wouldn't be on the hotlist for a year at Kunsan, right? =)

• 2 months later...
Guest hockeymv

Log on to Virtual MPF (if you're AD) and click on Awards/Decorations. That will tell you. I don't see why not, but I don't write the rules.

In addition to what hockeymv said, when you go to Virtual MPF, it will tell you what ribbons you have, and exactly how they should be organized. After you logon, click vMPF, verify your info, then click "Awards and Decorations" at the bottom left.

Virtual MPF has never had any ribbons listed for me. I'm in the guard, do they not include that stuff for us? If not, is there any place that lists what ribbons you're able to wear? Thanks!

Guest Dirt Beater

Do us ROTC nazis get the National Defense Service Medal upon commissioning? I looked on DefenseLink and it said after 9/11, there has been no closing date for the medal, like there have been in past conflicts. Just curious...

Yeah, you'll be authorized. I'm a "ROTC Nazi" (btw, not a phrase you'd want to continue using if you're on the way to ENJJPT) too, and I wear it.

For your edification, the Virtual MPF website will actually display a graphic of what your ribbon rack should look like, given their record of your authorized awards/decs. It's kind of cool, especially for aviators who are NEVER in blues... "crap...gotta be in service dress tomorrow...what's my rack (sts) supposed to look like again?"

Imagine that: something out of the MPF that actually makes my life EASIER. Feel the ground, as it's cold. Hell has frozen over

Guest pavesooner

yes, even the ROTC guys that havent been commsioned get it...but you have to be on contract...IE in the reserves.....

Guest pavesooner

If you have signed your contract and are in ROTC you can wear the ribbon.....

Have your orderly room check with your servicing MPF...

I know we were given the medal when I was in ROTC way back in the day...

ROTC students under contract are considered to be in the reserves and reservist are eligible...that is why they give you that E-5 reserve ID card when you are in ROTC....At least they did when I was there....

[ 27. April 2005, 18:22: Message edited by: pavesooner ]

Guest lightning4eva

The only Active duty ribbon one can wear is the small arms expert ribbon. you can't even wear your former career field badge

commissioning day you can wear all that you have earned/been given

now jump wings can't even be worn on BDU's

Guest pavesooner

Lightning what is the source for your info?

The day I was commisioned we all had our training ribbon and NDSM....

This is What AFPC says now: Not sure what it said in the window that terminated in 1995...

2. ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR NDSM: HONORABLE SERVICE AS A MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED STATES FROM 11 SEPTEMBER 2001 TO A DATE TO BE DETERMINED (DTBD). ELIGIBILE FOR THE NDSM ARE SERVICE MEMBERS ON ACTIVE DUTY, MEMBERS OF THE SELECTED RESERVE IN GOOD STANDING, AND MEMBERS OF OTHER THAN THE SELECTED RESERVE WHO WERE CALLED TO ACTIVE DUTY (INCLUDES CADETS WITH THE USAF ACADEMY). INELIGIBLE ARE MEMBERS CALLED TO ACTIVE DUTY FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE OF UNDERGOING A PHYSICAL EXAMINATION; ANY MEMBER OF THE INDIVIDUAL READY RESERVE, THE INACTIVE NATIONAL GUARD OR THE STANDBY OR RETIRED RESERVE WHOSE ACTIVE DUTY SERVICE WAS FOR TRAINING ONLY, OR TO SERVE ON BOARDS, COURTS, COMMISSIONS, AND SIMILAR ORGANIZATIONS.

[ 27. April 2005, 19:12: Message edited by: pavesooner ]

Guest lightning4eva

PS,

Sorry I wasn't clear about my previous post, I was talking about in ROTC. I have no idea why we can't wear AD ribbons, o well, I'll just continue to wear my "basket weaving expert ribbon."

I was referring to what active duty things can be worn it ROTC (not like it means much). Some people don't follow it.

On commissioning day, you are correct, everyone will/should have at a min BMT and NSD.

The reference to Jump Wings not being allowed to be worn on the BDU's in ROTC came out last summer. AFROTCI 36-2008 i think. You can only wear the wings on blues. One of my cadets that went to Freefall I told him before he got them sewn on to not do it b/c of regs change...so he goes ahead and does it, they screwed it up, gets it fixed...and I continue to hound him. He's being like those that wear ribbons in every blues uniform.

[ 29. April 2005, 09:36: Message edited by: lightning4eva ]

Should my ribbons/medals from my prior enlisted Navy time be in my VMPF? They are all on my DD214, so I wear them, but none of them are listed on my vMPF. I wasn't sure if some of them that are Navy specific (like a Navy good conduct medal, or Navy achievement medal) should be listed on my Air Force records.

pcola stud

I think they should be, but I can't check until I get to work. I have an Army Achievement Medal from working an exercise with them years ago, I am pretty sure (about 99.9%) it is in vMPF. All you would have to do is take your DD214 and copies of your decorations and orders down to your MPF to update your records. Or, if you are ever in San Antonio, see my above post.

Cheers! M2

• 1 year later...

Thread revival:

Does anyone know if the previously mentioned ribbons (Training ribbon and national defense medal) are supposed to be worn by commissionees? I've heard conflicting stories on the GWOT...some say we need them, others say we have to wait until at our first base. Any ideas? I've been trying to find some regs on e-publishing, but can't find anything.