Lifestyle of Helicopter Pilots

Guest pilot with luck

Welp, this thread pretty much sums up being a helo driver in the AF. Fighter and heavy dudes giving their perceptions of dirty, low-life helicopter pilots, mixed with pictures of their personal fantasies. All while the actual 11Hs on BODN just STFU, drink cheep beer and chuckle. 

1 hour ago, Longhorn said:

Anyone know if you can transfer from airframe to airframe in the helo community after your first assignment out of Rucker? UH-1 to HH-60, etc?

Yes 

PM me if have any more questions.  Still driving helos here on AD.

BTw, there's nothing like flying a helo.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Well, it is a big fan to keep the pilot cool.  If it stops, the pilot starts sweating immediately!

Hueys aren't bad.  The missions can get a bit boring--they tend to be "national insurance policy" types.  Low probability of action, but too important to not have a plan in place.  That said, we do get some cool oddball stuff and the occasional civil SAR...and drive the helo equivalent of a sixty-four and a half mustang--not fancy, but a classic that makes you drive it.

WTF did you google [mention=5633]di1630[/mention] to find that.....never mind, I don't want to know.  I never figured you for one, not that there is anything wrong with that.

I actually got that from work but word of advice: unless you are a F-15C pilot, don’t search for “helicopter gay” in google.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Haha 1

• 3 months later...

Hey all!

Current Army MEDEVAC pilot/CPT testing the waters on an Interservice Transfer.

I have already gotten the info I need about the process itself... now I'm looking into quality of life/duty stations, per airframe. I'm clearly familiar with 60's, and based on my MEDEVAC experience, I have at least a working knowledge of CSAR (Yes, I fully understand why/how the two missions are VERY different). But I would like to know what duty stations are available for each aircraft, average annual hours, additional opportunities/schools, etc. Also, how does the AF do PME? Is there an equivalent to the Captain's Career Course, ILE, etc?

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks!!

On 2/9/2019 at 10:12 AM, dustin offer said:

Hey all!

Current Army MEDEVAC pilot/CPT testing the waters on an Interservice Transfer.

I have already gotten the info I need about the process itself... now I'm looking into quality of life/duty stations, per airframe. I'm clearly familiar with 60's, and based on my MEDEVAC experience, I have at least a working knowledge of CSAR (Yes, I fully understand why/how the two missions are VERY different). But I would like to know what duty stations are available for each aircraft, average annual hours, additional opportunities/schools, etc. Also, how does the AF do PME? Is there an equivalent to the Captain's Career Course, ILE, etc?

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks!!

60s are at Moody, Nellis, DM, Kadena, Aviano, and Kirtland (Kirtland being the schoolhouse).  ANG opportinuties in CA, AK, NM, and NY.  AFRES opportunities at DM and Patrick.  DM = Davis-Monthan AFB.

SOS (Squadron Officers School) is for Capts.  ACSC (Air Command and Staff College) is for Majs.  AWC (Air War College) is for LtCols.   They are either accomplished via corresponence, or at Maxwell (and there are some joint opportunities).

Huey's go to Kirtland (school house), Andrews (alert DV support), Minot, Malmstrom, FE Warren (ICBM security), Fairchild (SERE school support), or Yakota (DV airlift).

Talking to a former Army pilot, AF helos are a mix of what Warrants and Army Officer pilots do.  So, be ready for that.

Edited by raimius

Can anyone speak to where Ospreys are currently dropping? I’ve found it difficult to keep up with what pipeline they seem to be coming from these days. RUMINT is that they’re only coming out of Rucker right now but I thought I saw one come out of T-1s a couple months ago. Any insight would be appreciated

6 hours ago, Chef16 said:

Since JSUPT 18-01, V-22s have dropped from -38s, -1s, H-1s...I've seen a couple IFF washouts (read -38s) get re-classed to them as well. 

Plus a couple in FAIP drops.

Like all other drops Mr.Elephant it's all timing and luck. Then if you're fortunate to have one you better be better than all the others that want it. Choose the track you would be happiest in if there isn't an Osprey for you at the end.

• 2 months later...

Just about to finish up my fixed wing private pilot should be 40 hours on the dot, at Sun N Fun this year I talked to the Army WOCS recruiters about getting an age waiver approved and they took down my information and seemed confident it was worth my time to pursue.  

Anyone have any insight on how those are looking right now?  I've already got a bach, with 4 years in the Air Force on the C-5.  I've already got my age waiver written out according to standards, and have the entire packet ready to hand to a recruiter so they don't have to do anything, just schedule my test which I've been studying off / on close to 6 months.  I've read about every Rotary book you can buy on Amazon, so I think I've got a good idea it's not going to be like living in 5 star Hotels like the Air Force.  

Thanks!

31 minutes ago, GeekUSA said:

Just about to finish up my fixed wing private pilot should be 40 hours on the dot, at Sun N Fun this year I talked to the Army WOCS recruiters about getting an age waiver approved and they took down my information and seemed confident it was worth my time to pursue.  

Anyone have any insight on how those are looking right now?  I've already got a bach, with 4 years in the Air Force on the C-5.  I've already got my age waiver written out according to standards, and have the entire packet ready to hand to a recruiter so they don't have to do anything, just schedule my test which I've been studying off / on close to 6 months.  I've read about every Rotary book you can buy on Amazon, so I think I've got a good idea it's not going to be like living in 5 star Hotels like the Air Force.  

Thanks!

How old are you? The Navy just increased their max age to 32 for dudes coming in off the street.

On 2/21/2019 at 8:38 PM, Mr.Elephant said:

Can anyone speak to where Ospreys are currently dropping? I’ve found it difficult to keep up with what pipeline they seem to be coming from these days. RUMINT is that they’re only coming out of Rucker right now but I thought I saw one come out of T-1s a couple months ago. Any insight would be appreciated

Fort Rucker (H-1s). Trust me. 

4 hours ago, Bigred said:

How old are you? The Navy just increased their max age to 32 for dudes coming in off the street.

37.  So even if they take 4 years off I'd still be a year too old.  Wonder if the Navy does age waivers?

59 minutes ago, GeekUSA said:

37.  So even if they take 4 years off I'd still be a year too old.  Wonder if the Navy does age waivers?

They used to do them for prior service (up to age 29 for Pilot and up to 31 for NFO), but the new program authorization does away with waivers in favor of making the limit 32 across the board (for both designators).

4 hours ago, GeekUSA said:

It was virtually unheard of for age waivers prior to this change so I’d be surprised if one could get approved now.

That said, if you don’t ask the answer is automatically no.

• 10 months later...

Hey everyone!

Currently an AD Army O3 H-60 pilot. I've got just over a year left on my ADSO so I'm doing some research on guard/reserve options closer to home. Ultimately, I'd like to make the jump to team blue so I can keep progressing my career as a military pilot while starting my non-mil career. I've familiarized myself with the process, I'm now looking at potential units. 

I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the 920th out of Patrick?

Any word on a rated hiring board in the near future?

Normally I would call the numbers on their website but I'm overseas and the time difference makes it pretty difficult. I can always search for people in the unit through global but I'm not sure if that's the right way to go about this. 

Any input or advice from the group would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Not a helo guy, but I did see recently that helo pilots are being offered a reserve bonus and Patrick was getting a location bonus as well so I’d venture to say that your odds are pretty good. Best of luck!

On 3/6/2020 at 9:54 PM, Danger41 said:

Not a helo guy, but I did see recently that helo pilots are being offered a reserve bonus and Patrick was getting a location bonus as well so I’d venture to say that your odds are pretty good. Best of luck!

Where did you saw this?