Lifestyle of Helicopter Pilots

Guest pilot with luck

Guest Lockjaw25

1. No...it's a mix still.

2. Nope, and available is UH-1N, HH-60G, CV-22, and FAIP (although only a couple each year from what I've heard).

3. Last I heard...about 3 or 4 months.

4. HH-1H is no longer in service...and having never flown it...couldn't tell ya.

5. Last I heard, they're still trying to exactly figure that out, but they're trying to do as much as possible of the SOF mission the 53 had.

6. Your guess is as good as mine...or anyone else's on this board.

Your misconceptions are long but understandable:

The 160th are not starting to arm their Blackhawks, they've been very well armed for a long time, just watch the damned movie to see some minigun action.

The CV-22 is NOT a replacement for the MH-53. The mission of the MH-53 is now being handled by the MH-47, the Osprey's mission is different and emerging. SOCOM owns AFSOC and they want the CV-22.

Will the Conventional Air Force be out of the tactical helo game is a big question that no one really knows the answer to at this stage as it's still on going.

What you need to know as a young pup is that we are still very much in the fight, HH-60 guys are deploying their asses off performing CASEVAC and SOF support on a daily basis, and the H-1 guys are bearing the burden of helo FID. In short, if you end up helos, welcome to the war, I'll see you over there.

By the way, what is the difference between the UH-1H and the HH-1H models?

Since you listed the HH-1H as an option for a student drop, I'm going to go out on a limb and assume you were thinking of the UH-1N, which is what they are flying up at DC, and space command.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UH-1N_Twin_Huey

Also, to elaborate on your TH-1 integration question. The way it is currently happening is that studs are starting off in the UH-1 and flying it throughout contact and some even take it into remote ops (landing in farmers fields and forest clearings). Then there is a TH-1 transition period prior to beginning instruments. The TH is almost exclusively flown now in the day and night tac phases, although there have been some exceptions there due to A/C availability issues.

Edited by usaf36031

• 8 months later...

Hey Guys,

Figured this would be the thread to ask this question. How difficult is a transfer from fixed wing to rotary down the road? Hypothetically, if a guy is flying herc's and wants to transfer, what hoops might he have to jump through? Easier after the herc commitment is up? (ANG)

-Hardie9e

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

Figured this would be the thread to ask this question. How difficult is a transfer from fixed wing to rotary down the road? Hypothetically, if a guy is flying herc's and wants to transfer, what hoops might he have to jump through? Easier after the herc commitment is up? (ANG)

-Hardie9e

Don't know how difficult it is to do... but I know that I have seen three ANG guys come through here in the few months I have been training here. One from A-10s , one from F-16s, and I can't remember the other one.

Does anyone know where to find the different airframes available for FY 10? I heard about a list that was out there of all the aircraft slots needing to be filled. Just wondering what kind of helos (and how many) they have left to give out this year... I tried to look on AFPC, but hit a dead end.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Any word out there about the fixed wing to rotary wing conversion course for qualified pilots? I'm pretty sure it's at Rucker. How long? Gentlemen's course, UPT style, or are you combined with the UPTer's?

When I went through Rucker there were two former fixed wing O-4 types (A-10s) who were integrated with our classes. They had been picked up to fly 60's for guard and reserve units. Not sure how the transition would work on the active side.

in 02-03, they tried to make it a 3 month course (just the RWQC portion), but that pilot didn't do well at Kirtland, so they sent her back to Rucker for the full 6 months. Not sure if it's changed since then. 2 on the integrated with the UPT class.

Oh, and as for "UPT-style", those who came from an AF UPT base said it was less hard than their phase II experience. I came from Whiting, where it was then a little bit of a step up. This was the 03 timeframe, so take it with a grain of salt until a more recent grad can chime in.

Edited by stract

Any word out there about the fixed wing to rotary wing conversion course for qualified pilots? I'm pretty sure it's at Rucker. How long? Gentlemen's course, UPT style, or are you combined with the UPTer's?

I can't imagine it would be very difficult and I'm guessing they treat you well as long as you have a good attitude and take the course seriously.

Rucker was definitely a step away from the Phase I/II mindset. 8 hour academic days and during contact we were done by 1 or so in the afternoon (3.0 to Skelly, debrief, done). I'm sure the RWQ is similar if not better.

• 6 years later...

Hopefully I can spark a thread revival. I track in 2 weeks, and I'm still racking my brain on whether or not to go helos. My number 1 choice right now would be Pavehawks. Does anyone have any info on the lifestyle of HH-60s, UH-1s, or CV-22s? There's a lot of great info on this thread, but some of it I'm sure is outdated. How are deployments for the Pavehawk? I've heard it's a lot of sitting around, waiting for the call, which are few and far between these days, is that still true? My last question is how difficult is it to transition from the Huey to the Pavehawk or Osprey if I had the desire to do so? This thread says and what I've heard is that it's not uncommon, just wanted inside perspective/confirmation on that.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Longhorn said:

How are deployments for the Pavehawk? I've heard it's a lot of sitting around, waiting for the call, which are few and far between these days, is that still true?

Not a helo guy, but will pass this piece of advice on: Don’t base your preferences on current downrange ops; by the time you get there it may be completely different. Set yourself up to train to a mission set you are excited about. You’ll likely get to execute it. (Except, we hope, for nukes.)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

For the CV-22, their ops tempo is very high. They’re great at certain things, not so much at others. Their SOF specific mission is very important, but it’s pretty different from the CAF 60’s.

For the rescue side, there will be plenty of “sitting around waiting for the call”. I hope those dudes never have to do their jobs, but I will name my subsequent children after them if they after have to come pick me up. 

*Not a helo guy, just a big fan.

• Upvote 3

Well the CV-22 is the greatest airframe of all time so I'm not sure what else you need to know!

But on a serious note there is a lot to say for general lifestyle, do you have more specific questions? The good news is you can still go to the osprey from any track, although cross training from other airframes seems to be becoming more rare. 

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk in a less public forum. 

The period of 300+ saves a deployment has passed for the HH-60 dudes, unless we kick off another 100k+ troop conflict.  I can't give you tons of specific info, as I'm a Huey guy and usually get 2nd hand info on CSAR stuff.

Hueys are fun, but have trouble really doing the mission set well... need a bigger helo for some of the stuff people want.  The MH-139 (Huey replacement) contract was awarded and not protested, so that should be coming online in the next decade or so.  Global Strike is really pushing more offensive capabilities than were traditionally done in the missile complexes.  There is a lot of potential in that, but also some thrash in tactics and training.  So, some crews are TDY quite often.

I agree with Jice - pick the mission you want to do and don't look back.  If I wasn't a fighter pilot, I'd fly helos - they're pretty badass.  During the preceding 6 months to my last deployment and throughout the 7 months of my deployment the 60s had zero rescues.  That's a good thing in the big picture, but I understand that can be frustrating for the bros.  That said, they still flew missions and I had a blast hanging out with them and getting to work with them.  They still took small arms fire, so it's not like you go to AFG and never get to do anything...you're still flying a 60 through crazy terrain and doing some shooting.  In the end, you never know what the future holds...we could very easily be back to a large scale war where the Army cannot organically handle all of its CASEVAC/PR needs.

• Upvote 3

For whatever its worth I often tell people the single biggest mistake i made in UPT was not giving helos any serious consideration at track select. There was something about the culture at UPT at the time that just implied you would want a jet. Not sure I would have gone that direction but I'm dissapointed in myself for not considering it more. 

I do remember though, on career day, the C-130 dude and the C-17 dude got in a dick measuring contest. I think the C-17 argued they could land shorter than a 130 but the 130 said they flew low level lower than the C-17. 

Rucker instructor gets up there next, scratches his neck, looks around, and says "well I don't know what all this pissing match is, but I will tell you we can fly lower and land shorter than both C-17s and C-130s." Whole room got a chuckle and that dude got mad cred for dropping bombs. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone know if you can transfer from airframe to airframe in the helo community after your first assignment out of Rucker? UH-1 to HH-60, etc? Honestly my only deterrence from tracking helos is the chance of spending my time in Hueys. If you disagree with my view, please convince me otherwise.