UPT class standing/rank (MASS)

Guest fosterbeer

Hey, bringing back a real old post on here but I had a question relating to MASS, and this was all I could find. So my question is, does a student's performance in T-6's play a part in getting their final assignment from phase III? I was always told that phase III was a clean slate from phase II, but I've heard recent rumors of otherwise. Any insight?

No bearing on your assignment, I think it may help determine DG and what not.

Hey, bringing back a real old post on here but I had a question relating to MASS, and this was all I could find. So my question is, does a student's performance in T-6's play a part in getting their final assignment from phase III? I was always told that phase III was a clean slate from phase II, but I've heard recent rumors of otherwise. Any insight?

only thing it affects is awards on grad night....has nothing at all to do with what assignment you get

Unless you are at Sheppard. Then it is actually 40% of your assignment. So if you do AMAZING in T-6s you can be below average in T-38s and still end up very happy on assignment night.

• Upvote 1

It's true that Phase III is a clean slate as far as assignments go. Your performance in Phase II will have an effect for things such as Top Academic Performer, because they figure the academic score from written exams in all phases.

There were guys in my class who hooked multiple checkrides in T-6s but wound up getting their number 1 choice because of performance in T-1s. I'm sure feedback and rankings from classmates and flight commander ranking had a big part in that. I definitely took that into account when ranking my fellow classmates. There's something to be said about almost washing out (Going to 89 rides) on more than one occasion in T-6s and then kicking ass in Phase III. As others have said, just do your best and try to be a good bro to your classmates and everything will work out. But don't be a kiss ass and make it obvious that all you're working toward is a good flight commander ranking or peer evals, usually behavior like that is pretty transparent.

A lot of the different IPs talk to each other about their students- good, bad, ugly. May not figure directly into your MASS or whatever, but it certainly hurts to have made a bad impression before you have your first T-1/ T-38 ride. And by and large, the lazy dipshits from T-6s are still lazy dipshits later on.