Info on Ramstein AB, Germany

Guest HercPilot

I've been here a year and agree with everything said so far, especially about the bikes. But, neither the bathroom in the TLF apartment nor in our house have room for a transformer. Fortunately, my wife didn't bring a hair dryer, so we bought a 220v one at the KMCC on day one. Her curling iron from Target was already dual voltage.

There is room in the kitchen for a transformer. FMO gives you a 220v microwave and fridge. I got a 220v coffee pot with a clock so my coffee's ready for me. I wouldn't want to plug anything with a clock (coffee pot, alarm clock, DVR) into a transformer. They suck a lot of power and they hum all the time that they're on.

Check out ramsteinyardsales.com. Summer is a huge move time, so there'll be lots more stuff available than is listed there now. When you leave, you'll likely be able to sell whatever you bought to someone else. If you're thinking of moving onto base later, the base houses have both 110v and 220v outlets in every room, so any 220v stuff you buy will still be usable.

Moving to Ramstein this May or June and I have some questions for those who have been there. I have used the search forum and read all the related Ramstein and C-21 threads. Here are my questions.

1) My husband and I decided long ago that we would get new couches at our next assignment but that was before we found out Ramstein was next. Would you suggest shopping for couches in Germany or do it here at home before the movers come?

2) I read storage space in Germany can be an issue so do we bring our bikes or leave them in storage here in the US? We don't use them regularly but we do like to do rides around the neighborhood with the kids(ages 3.5 and 1.5). We will bring the kids bikes for sure since my son usually rides once a day and they don't need as much space.

3) What stuff do we specifically not bring? I know everything with a motor and plug should stay home but what else should stay? Our house is 1700 sqft, will we most likely be moving into something of similar size or bigger or smaller?

Thanks.

I can't specifically talk to Ramstein as I'm up north in Hamburg but I'll second a lot of the other replies.

1) Furniture is a crap shoot. You can get whatever you want over here - but you might pay for it - or not. IKEA (like already mentioned) is great. We dropped something like 1500 Euro on furniture when getting here updating a bunch of stuff. Prices for what we got were very equal if not better than what we could have gotten back home. Then recently my 20 year old leather Lazy Boy recliner finally fell apart (my Frau almost jumped for joy). Great I say - time for a new one - and then I start looking at american style recliners on the German economy. Lets just say I'll be waiting to get a new one... But for sofas, especially in the K-town area - I think you'll be fine. Don't forget you'll save on tax over here too. So I might suggest saving on one less move with your furniture and buying once in country.

2) Bikes - big 2 on bringing them. German's view bikes as transportation vehicles and for many they are their only mode of personal transportation. Bike paths are everywhere. Kids ride all over the place as well. Its really different then back home with transportation - not just bikes but buses, trains, etc. Rode the bike this morning to the local bakery to pick up fresh croissants, brötchen, etc for breakfast. We have one car here - it rocks. I spend the money we save on gas on beer. I find it to be a good trade.

3) You'll have to decide for yourself. We downsized a lot before coming over, sold washer/dyer, etc and brought everything - didn't put a think in storage. I would NOT put a washer and dryer in storage but it sounds like around Ramstein you might find some very US friendly rentals. That was not the case for us in Hamburg so it was good to not have some of that big stuff and we have the loaner stuff from Shinnen, to include washer/dryer, fridge and freezer. We do use the transformers for a lot - but some stuff still won't work - and I just have a corner in the basement of stuff we aren't going to use. Remember it not just the 220 v 110 volt but also the 50 v 60 herz that might bite ya.

Overall I think you'll find that Ramstein (Germany for that matter) is very accommodating to Americans. Toro posted some gauge around here somewhere for showing up in Germany - its spot on. Ship your car early - (like really early). Rentals are cheaper in the US than in Germany - big time.

Germany rocks - we have been here since July and are having an absolute blast - congrats on the assignment!

e

Ditto above with a few additions.

Furniture - The BX has furniture, but it’s a pretty limited selection compared to your average US selection. You can always choose from the catalog and have them order it. I would say if you find something nice in the states, don't pass it up.

What to bring - In general, if it's 110V with a motor and/or costs less than about $50, don't bring it.

I've updated the previous arrival gouge info and attached it. It has a lot of great information on how to get yourself ready and what to expect once you're here.

Ramstein Welcome Guide.pdf

• 1 month later...

OK, I've UTFSE and not found exactly I'm looking for. We're PCS'ing to Ramstein in the summer, and are trying to figure out whether or not to bring the King Size bed that my wife and I use. Thoughts from those of you at Ramstein right now?

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

OK, I've UTFSE and not found exactly I'm looking for. We're PCS'ing to Ramstein in the summer, and are trying to figure out whether or not to bring the King Size bed that my wife and I use. Thoughts from those of you at Ramstein right now?

Thanks.

All depends on the house. Our rooms are big enough, but the issue we had was actually getting things INTO the house. Strangley short doorframes, narrow halls, tight staircases, ect. I say bring it.

Ditto above. I think in most places you'll be fine with a King size bed.

Thanks.

Bring the big bed...no sweat. Even better if you have two twin-sized box springs instead of a massive under support of some type.

I bought a King Size bed and two twin box springs from Vogelweh AB and hauled it up 35 steps to the third floor. Second option was through the my enormous bay window on my balcony with ropes or a crane.

• 1 month later...

Doing some research.. my fiance' is a Physical Therapist.. what are the job options for overseas assignments.. specifically Ramstein?

Are you saying she is in the military and you want her to PCS to Ramstein, or that you are going to PCS to Ramstein and you are wondering about her civilian job possibilities?

If it is the latter, try www.cpol.army.mil/ and www.afciviliancareers.com but I would say her best bet would be to volunteer as a physical therapist through the Red Cross at Landstuhl Regional Medical Center and work her way into a job through that.

• 3 months later...

Motorcycle Insurance--Anyone dealt with getting cycle insurance from German Ins. companies? My son shipped his Harley to Ramstein and his quote from Progressive was like $260 month for the policy (more than his car). That seems pretty excessive IMO. Just looking for any input from anyone's past/present experience.

Have him look at USAA. I know that they don't insure them in the states, but I'm pretty sure that my buddy used them over there for his bike.

He goes through USAA ($260) and they sub to Progressive.

That's ridiculous, I had a 1100cc Honda sport-tourer while at Ramstein back in the late 90s and it wasn't anywhere near that much. I paid something like $75/mo for full coverage, and was surprised when it really didn't drop much when we moved to Texas. I know Harleys are popular in Europe, and I know firsthand how much of a blast it is to ride a bike there (tell him to check out the Pfalzwald southeast of Kaiserslautern for some great nearby riding); but there's no way I pay would that much to insure a motorcycle!

Just to note, when I was stationed in the UK in the early 80s I did buy British insurance for it. He might check the places just outside base to see if they can provide coverage at a more reasonable rate.

Have him look at USAA. I know that they don't insure them in the states, but I'm pretty sure that my buddy used them over there for his bike.

Technically, USAA does insure motorcycles. It is through Progressive, but it is through them and I have two on my policy. You pay for them when you pay for your other vehicles and what not, but it is through USAA...

Cheers! M2

• 1 year later...

The locals in Germany know both the TLA rates and the Per Diem rates -- you get what you pay for. Don't expect to find anything *under* the rate -- as they will charge exactly the local TLA rate.

When I was stationed there, we stayed in TLA on base for about 2 weeks -- wasn't bad -- and if I go back, would stay there again.

Any good gouge on TLA spots at Ramstein for a family...at guesthouse type of place that maybe does some meals. I've seen bookoo, but I'd like to avoid somewhere that expects max TLA.

A definite possibility -- http://www.sanktpaulushof.de/restaurant-pizzeria-ramstein.html

We've known the owners since back when I was stationed at Ramstein and live in the next village, Obermohr. Friends of ours stayed there inbound and, 7 years later, outbound. A very friendly family owned place and the food is very good. They have a Facebook page as well. Of course would only be beneficial if you get a non-A for on-base TLF.

Later.

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

Hello all. Now my turn to ask a question. For those around Ramstein, what are some of the best options for cell phone plans. We have iPhone 4s and will get unblocked before moving. Will those work?

Don't have an issue with getting new phones provided the service is good and priced right.

And while I'm at it, what are the best options for high speed internet?

Thanks

FG

Internet speed and availability is 100% dependent upon village... big cities like Kaiserslautern have great Internet. Ramstein village has pretty good DSL.

As of 2012, T-Mobile had decent prices for iPhones data plans but only within German borders. Sweet Jesus, don't data roam in Europe.

Hello all. Now my turn to ask a question. For those around Ramstein, what are some of the best options for cell phone plans. We have iPhone 4s and will get unblocked before moving. Will those work?

Don't have an issue with getting new phones provided the service is good and priced right.

And while I'm at it, what are the best options for high speed internet?

Thanks

FG

There are literally 2 phone company's to get a cell phone through in German, T mobile.... And whoever the hell else the other one was because nobody had it. Euro cell phone policies are stuck in e early 90s states phase where somehow the whole of Europe is one big batch of roaming zones by country borders. Sucks ass when you take leave and go to say Italy because you either shit off your phone and do it old school with a map and a guidebook, or pay ridiculous fees. Know some guys who forgot to turn off before crossing borders or making drunk calls... Cost serious cash like hundreds of dollars.

I wouldn't worry on unlocking your old phones, whatever TKS store on post is selling phones hey will have a contract special on either the new hotness iPhone or droid for as cheap as buying the SIM card to work on the euro grid. You can do internet through TKS as well, makes bills easier. One thing you will need to do is set up with the on post bank because Germans want an in country bank to set up payments from.

Internet is interesting dependent on village. A lot of smaller villages have limited port numbers for their population so it's not nearly as fast as it should be in the 21st century. Then again you'll also find lots of dead spots for cell service the same way. 4g is non existent and lots of areas just drop out especially on the train to either low 3G or Edge which is butt ass slow.