UPT Dorms

Tex

Guest Rosie

Just wondering what the situation is with the dorms at UPT. Are bachelors required to stay there, and are there dorms at all of the UPT bases? Also, if it's not required to stay there, what do you all think is better...dorms or off base? Thanks.

Guest pcampbell

I believe living in the dorms is required now at Sheppard, for the single folk. Anyone back me up on this?

[ 29. March 2004, 22:03: Message edited by: Razorback ]

• 2 months later...

I have noticed most housing websites make note that visitors are not allowed to stay overnight in the dorms. Is there a work around for the rare time a girlfriend may come in town for the weekend, or are you forced to stay off base in a hotel? Thanks

Originally posted by Tex:

I have noticed most housing websites make note that visitors are not allowed to stay overnight in the dorms. Is there a work around for the rare time a girlfriend may come in town for the weekend, or are you forced to stay off base in a hotel? Thanks

Not enforced! This rule is just a CYA (thats Cover Your ***) rule that they created to give them something to fall back on when the local sluts come on base, spend the night with some pilots, and get raped/hurt/lost, or something like that. The AF can legally say "they were not supposed to be here overnight, so we don't know how your daughter wound up pregnant in some guys shower the next day."

Just as many of the notes/warnings/cautions in the Dash one were written in blood or after some major injury occured, so was the rule about no overnight guests in the dorms. At CBM they have checked 0 times since I have been here and I heard they checked one time on a weekday in the distant past and caught a live in girlfriend in the dorms. That will be the day when I open my door for the dorm gestapo (which does not exist) on a saturday morning at 3AM when I am sleeping with some girl.

• 2 years later...
Guest Talon-Duke

I'm heading to CAFB this fall for UPT and would like to live off base. Does anybody have any prior experiences trying to get off base housing as a single dude or is it better to live on base?

Guest GIMMIE9

Talon-Duke: Living on base is the way to go....UPT will be so busy you wont have time for shit......living only a 3 min walk from work is priceless.....live on base for UPT period.

[ 10. July 2006, 21:52: Message edited by: GIMMIE9 ]

Dude, that thing about living on base because it's so close to work can be viewed two ways. I was casual at my UPT base for eight months, so when it was time to start class, I had the opportunity to move off base and I took it. For me, it was probably one of the best decisions I've ever made. Sure, it's great being close to work, but I enjoyed being able to get off the base when the day was over. Smelling the jet fuel and hearing the noise might seem cool for a while, but after a while, it lost its vanity. As far as studying with your buddies in the dorms.... either hang out on base on those days until you guys start studying, or go home, change, get some dinner, then drive back. Sure, takes a little more time, burn a little more gas, but I still submit that it's worth it.

A 10 minute drive to work is not that bad. Gives you a chance to drink some coffee and collect your thoughts on the way in.

Just trying to show you that there's another side to the argument, that's all.

Not too sure about CAFB...but Vance is really convienent...the rooms are small, but fine for what you'll need when you are here. Sometimes off base can have it's perks, but bottomline is that it can and will get annoying going to and from home everyday and mulitple times a day once you are off formal release. If you forget something or need to run home real quick it takes 5 min to go and come back. PM Sniper5482 he should have some input

Guest Sniper5482

Sniper here...

OK first - change that screenname from Talon-Duke to Tweet-Duke or Texan-Duke. Unless you're a guard-fighter guy and know you're going 38s (assuming you don't suck), you don't want to get labeled early in the game as "That guy"...any questions?

Second - Here at CBM if you are single then you will live in the dorms for about the first 4 months before being given the option to move off-base. If you're here casual before you start then most likely that time window will give you the option right before or around your CSD (class start date). If not, then that will put you through most of Phase II in the dorms before getting the option. I got here in Feb, got the option to move off in June, I track select in Aug. Current plan is to finish out Tweets in the dorms (cause it's a pain in the ass to move in the middle) and then maybe start looking for place for Phase III, etc.

Living here is convenient and I may just end up staying. The dorms are like a studio apartment: one big room w/ a kitchen, bathroom, and closet connected on the sides. It's really not bad and currently I'm about 50/50 as to moving off or staying come August.

-Sniper

• 3 years later...

It just depends on timing. As of right now, dorms are not full up capacity, so if you are single, be prepared to live in the dorms. They're even threatening to move single guys out of their base houses into the dorms to fill them up. But, once they're full, you'll have the option to either live on base (if a duplex is available), or move to off-base housing.

If you do get the dorms, you'll be staying there for the remainder of your training (unless something unusual happens).

I just heard from a friend going to XL that you area allowed to get an on-base house if you're single. But apparently you need roommates and they have to be either one class ahead of you, in your class, or one class behind you as well as the same gender. The base websites generally have all the info available for incoming studs as far as housing and inprocessing. I'm not going to XL, though, so I haven't checked up on this myself.

• Like 1

Pretty much Whiting kicks ass. Single or not you can live right on the bay or beach, or up in Milton by the river. You can elect to try and stay at Whiting Pines which is the Navy's housing off base, but it feels like a giant RV ground, but with houses that look exactly the same. The words of the NCO's in charge of housing are...."you guys can do whatever you want, live in a storage unit for all I care".

Not sure about Vance rules, I was a Sheppard guy in UPT. The dorms however makes your life alot easier because you will be crazy busy, and being that close to work helps mitigate things like being late due to traffic and such. Plus you will be around lots of other students, which helps with studying. Your call of course, but I think it helped keep me focused. I was single in those days of course.

Wheelz

• Like 1