'Recognition' ceremony returns to Air Force Academy

Guest Cap-10

Originally posted by Hoser:

If you must know, the intial entry requirements for the Aviation Cadets (and therefore your prop and wings was "under 25, have 2-3 years of college, be athletic, honest, and reliable", so I'm sure if we could find an actual Aviation Cadet on this board, he would be pissed that you got your prop and wings after your "7-11 months of being a freshmen"

Hoser

2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Guest ruckerstud

The ###### thing is short of F*&(ing Academy Guys, at term used by some enlisted aircrew, so if they want to pin that on me, I've got bigger stuff to worry about. And for the record, I was just trying to answer the question two lines up about why people are pissed off about ROTC getting prop and wings.

Guest Hoser
Originally posted by ruckerstud:

And for the record, I was just trying to answer the question two lines up about why people are pissed off about ROTC getting prop and wings.

I know what you were trying to do with your post. After reading your post, i was getting the impression that you Academy's guys feel like you invented the whole prop and wing deal after the AF split from the AAF.

The point of my post was that you didn't invent the wheel, you just borrowed it from the AF Aviation Cadets from 1947 on.

Hoser

Guest downinthegroove

All I can say is that recognition will be one of the most memorable weekends of my life. The Forty days of hell leading up to the big weekend was terrible. This pissing contest is stupid. If you have done it you understand it. To think it is like PT is rediculous. The pride I felt after walking through the halls and having upper classmen salute (and some not) was incredible. And I will always have the prop and wings that were given to me by the upper classmen as a token of respect. Respect for the hell of June induction until March recognition. Say what you want, but if you haven't done it, you won't get it. I don't knock yours so leave mine alone.

Guest glambors

The "contents" and "shape" of Recognition changes over the years, I guess depending on the environment at the USAFA or the senior leadership. But, the purpose has been the same: to accept the freshmen/four degrees/4-smokes etc. to the upper class status with pride and motivation. That's why for most of the time the Recognition took place in the spring. The first uear at USAFA the freshmen were supposed to do different small tasks within the sq, eat at attention, run the strip and all that good stuff. After recognition it's all gone. That's it.

The Recognition experience will be different from class to class and from sq. to sq.. The main events (getting prop and wings, run to the Rock, obstacle courses and so on) will be the same, but the individual experiences within the sq. remain upon the leadership to organize(1st class cadets). Needless to say, that no training can be done without the approval of your sq. supervising officer (AOC) or your group AOC. And, it's not just PT or yelling, and screeming and maxing out on everything you've learned militarily during your freshmen year. For a 4th class cadet to receive a motivational speech by a WWII, Korean War or Vietnam War or ANY veteran during those Helldays is a hell of motivation and Big Picture view of what he/she is about to embark.

Hope this clarified some things.

Sorry for any grammar/spilling.

Rant switch: off

----------

Login Name, tell your friend to go and get that Latvian!

Guest downinthegroove

Again, you have to be there to get it. If you were there you would realize we are all talking about different phases of 1 entire year. The year essentially is not fun from the first day you step on the bus at the AOG. Your life is miserable except for little pleasures stolen here and there. You make it through SAMI's, Beat down's, moral weekends and then, when I was there, there were 40 squadrons, so each day leading up to recognition was for each squadron. No inconsistencies, just seems everyone has favorite memories. SMACK Pack baby! Like I said, you had to be there. It is special, it is unique.

Getting laid in college and drinking every weekend was awesome, but lets not go into that because you zoomies wouldn't understand that...Just kiddin...

This was a pretty entertaining thread...I'm glad no one blocked it...

Guest glambors

Some of you might have heard this, it was in the newspapers:

A few years ago (after 9/11)one of the cadets flying on commercial wrote on his napkin

Fast

Neat

Average

Friendly

Good

Good

and asked if the napkin could be passed to the pilot. Hoping that the pilot is a USAFA grad, and might arrange for a better seating (that was possible back in the day), he instead received an undivided attention of security guys. No Mitchell Hall traditions in airlines.

Originally posted by glambors:

Some of you might have heard this, it was in the newspapers:

A few years ago (after 9/11)one of the cadets flying on commercial wrote on his napkin

Fast

Neat

Average

Friendly

Good

Good

and asked if the napkin could be passed to the pilot. Hoping that the pilot is a USAFA grad, and might arrange for a better seating (that was possible back in the day), he instead received an undivided attention of security guys. No Mitchell Hall traditions in airlines.

As usual, Snopes has the real story behind the myth...

Cheers! M2

Guest ruckerstud

If nothing else, Hoser knows the code that will get him rescued. I would suggest all the pointy nose dudes take note. For those that don't know, this is cadet code, and on at least one occasion (according to urban legend) has gotten a pointy nosed dude saved by a helo guy who was a zoomie. I've only used it once (at an airport), and wouldn't you know it was 60 dude, which saved me from not having beer. Beer symbol to a certain former 55th CC.

Guest Hoser

If nothing else, Hoser knows the code that will get him rescued. I would suggest all the pointy nose dudes take note. For those that don't know, this is cadet code, and on at least one occasion (according to urban legend) has gotten a pointy nosed dude saved by a helo guy who was a zoomie. I've only used it once (at an airport), and wouldn't you know it was 60 dude, which saved me from not having beer. Beer symbol to a certain former 55th CC.

I know the code becuase 1) I was on a Falcon Scholarship (but didn't go) and 2) I have 69 friends that went to the Zoo.

As for using that "code" to get me rescued, I think I rely on my ISOPREP and my EPA.

Hoser

• 1 month later...
Guest croftfam

Slight revival. I hope you're joking. I can't seem to remember anywhere in my training where we were told, "Hey, only rescue a dude if he knows the super secret academy cadet code." Actually, come to think of it, I don't think it's ever come up as anyway to authenticate a dude.

So, you "pointy nose dudes" don't really need to take note.

Like I said if you were joking okay, but lame joke. :D