Non-Availibility lodging/letter

Techsan

4 hours ago, Homestar said:

Have you called billeting to see if they even have TLFs with enough rooms?

I’m at PIT now and didn’t bother with billeting at all. Straight to my PIT pad. My guess is that they will give you whatever TLF they have available at the time and if they have any available they won’t be giving you a Non-A. 

Why not just move your family into your final location? You will still draw BAH from your losing unit till you inprocess your gaining unit. Add that to you $60/day and you can get a nice apartment or PIT pad. 

I want the family with me for the TDY.  I’m just curious if I will be able to get a non-A given the size of my family and the size of the RND TLFs.

5 hours ago, flyusaf83 said:

I want the family with me for the TDY.  I’m just curious if I will be able to get a non-A given the size of my family and the size of the RND TLFs.

FWIW your family are on your PCS orders not your amendment for the TDY enroute, so RND will give you a TLF if available but they say they aren't required to provide one. So no Non-A.

Edited by LookieRookie

Hi y'all.  New poster, new to the AF (well, Guard), heading TDY to Altus for school soon.  Been reading through the forum and trying to piece together some info and have some questions...

- Is AirBnB still not acceptable or was that silliness reversed?

- Do you get up to 60/day for off-base lodging if you do NOT obtain a Non-A?

- If people don't drive (I'm coming from OCONUS) to Altus, how do they get from OKC to Altus?  The gouge they send doesn't really cover that well...

Thanks all, gonna be good times!

Hi y'all.  New poster, new to the AF (well, Guard), heading TDY to Altus for school soon.  Been reading through the forum and trying to piece together some info and have some questions...
- Is AirBnB still not acceptable or was that silliness reversed?
- Do you get up to 60/day for off-base lodging if you do NOT obtain a Non-A?
- If people don't drive (I'm coming from OCONUS) to Altus, how do they get from OKC to Altus?  The gouge they send doesn't really cover that well...
Thanks all, gonna be good times!

Not sure about the AirBNB question, but there are several pilot crash pad choices here now. They are set up to provide lodging invoices, and yes you are entitled to $60/day if you choose to go off base. I was on base for 3 days and they put me in old ass lodging with a mini fridge and microwave so I checked out and went to a crash pad.

If you fly into OKC, I’d say people would be renting a car at that point. They used to have a shuttle from the Lawton airport to Altus, but I doubt that exists from OKC. If you’re off base, you need a car anyways, so I’m not following your logic.

Hey all, Guard bum here, going to URT at Randolph in the next few months. It’s a tdy for me and I’m bringing my wife and kid, are the circumstances and different for URT than PIT? I was hoping for a non a letter and stay somewhere nice. Cheers

On 10/13/2017 at 1:09 AM, MooseAg03 said:

Not sure about the AirBNB question, but there are several pilot crash pad choices here now. They are set up to provide lodging invoices, and yes you are entitled to $60/day if you choose to go off base. I was on base for 3 days and they put me in old ass lodging with a mini fridge and microwave so I checked out and went to a crash pad.

If you fly into OKC, I’d say people would be renting a car at that point. They used to have a shuttle from the Lawton airport to Altus, but I doubt that exists from OKC. If you’re off base, you need a car anyways, so I’m not following your logic.

I thought they were putting "meals available" on Altus orders....So if you elect to go off base you still get the $60/day vs if you opt to stay on base you get the "meals available"rate which is what $20 or something?

I thought they were putting "meals available" on Altus orders....So if you elect to go off base you still get the $60/day vs if you opt to stay on base you get the "meals available"rate which is what $20 or something?

My orders say proportional rate, which is $30 + $5 for incidentals. There used to be some weird crap about meals being available on weekends when there was no flying which lowered per diem, but I haven’t seen anything about that this trip.

• 8 months later...

New one: Not expressly voucher/reimbursement related, but $$$ related. Just checked into an SPG property for a 2 week stay on official business, and was looking forward to getting points toward one or two free nights. Presented my SPG # at the desk and was told by the desk manager that since the reservation was booked by the Navy Gateway Inn at Andersen (a third party), they can't give me my points. I asked about "What if I cancel my reservation and re-book as a 'first party?'" She said I'd have to call the Andersen Inn and tell them to cancel (something I'm loathe to do until I actually have a Non-A in hand) it was booked by them, not me, and that she couldn't give me the government rate on my own because occupancy is high now (thanks to 70 of my closest friends staying at the hotel now). The commercial rate is, of course, above the max lodging per diem rate for Guam.

Anyone have any luck fighting it out with SPG for points under such circumstances? I stayed at this same hotel in 2014 under the same circumstances, and at the Vegas Westin in 2015 for Red Flag, and had no such issue.

47 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

I wish you luck but many hotels these days won’t give points for stays paid for by the government.

Yup.  Marriot is still dishing them out though but with the SPG merger I don't know if that will stay true. 

2 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

How so? I haven’t interacted with an SPG property in a while; what’s their discriminator for not awarding points then?

It's due tot he discounted rate or contract with the base.  

Is this relatively new? I have a shitload of Hilton and SPG stays over the past 4 years with this never having come up. TDYs have slowed down over the last year (thanks guard!), but I still have 3 Hilton and 2 SPG stays in the last year. One of them was only 1.5 months ago at an SPG. Maybe it's manager/hotel dependent?

Whether or not this applies to SPG, dunno.  But at Hilton properties, some operators will not give the points under the same circumstances (group booking and/or corporate card).  Wait 3 or 4 days and call up Hilton Honors, and they register the points.  A hassle?  Yes, but not the end of the world, imo.

I THINK it’s dependent on whether it was booked thru base lodging or thru dts.  I always have zero issues when booking thru dts or personally but run into problems when it’s contract thru the base. That’s for all hotels and chains. 

For that matter, whenever a base lodging office has "helped" me by making my reservation off base, I usually just call and cancel it from the taxi on my way to my desired location.  JTR, FTW; SorryNotSorry.

• Upvote 2

For that matter, whenever a base lodging office has "helped" me by making my reservation off base, I usually just call and cancel it from the taxi on my way to my desired location.  JTR, FTW; SorryNotSorry.

Only problem is if they booked contract lodging. You refuse it...and you’re limited in reimbursement.

I only had actual contract lodging once in my 15 years.  They put "contract lodging" on a form several times, which makes things fun if your AO isn't smart enough to know the difference, but if it goes on your GTC, it ain't contract lodging.  

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...