Non-Availibility lodging/letter

Techsan

Those using Airbnb (or similar), don't expect USAF to reimburse for travel started after 15 February.

https://www.jqpublicblog.com/lodging-bureaucrats-continue-to-harass-airmen-discriminate-against-businesses/

—–Original Message—–

Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2017 2:09 PM 
To: AMC/FMFF Flight NCOICs; AMC/FMFF FSOs 

Subject: Suitable Commercial Lodging

Good afternoon all,

Please get the word out to all of your units that AirBnB and other similar lodgings are no longer a reimbursable expense. Any travel that begins after 15 Feb will be subject to the new guidelines. As soon as I have a signed policy letter I will send it out. Once we get the signed letter, you may want to use your local PA folks to help publicize the change.

More to follow.

Thank you,

V/r 
TSgt [Name Redacted Out of Pure Mercy], TSgt, USAF 
HQ AFIMSC Travel/MilPay Policy and Program Manager 
Scott AFB, IL. 62225 

Hmmmm I'm heading out for a 3-monther in a few months, reduced perdiem rates apply. I think I'll be ok since it's not a direct reimbursement of lodging costs but rather a flat rate. That being said, hopefully the complaint train schwacks this one before too long as well. 

WTF are these shit leaders thinking?  Without backing in the JTR these gestapo tactics do not go unchecked. 

Three years ago we were encouraged to consider furnished apartments.   Now we're not?   This is still the current guidance on their site though...

http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/site/news.cfm?ID=30

Effective as of November 1, 2014

MAP/CAP 118-13, Flat Rate Per Diem for Long Term TDY - In order to encourage travelers to take advantage of cost saving opportunities.....
The commercial lodging industry considers stays greater than 30 days to be “extended stays” and typically offers reduced rates to ensure occupancy.  Travelers may also consider furnished apartments or similar types of lodging which are typically cheaper than room rates in commercial lodging.

• Upvote 1

Was told today that the lodging manager at Lackland decided the 1 bedroom TLF's are suitable for 5 people.  He won't give a non-A unless you have 6 or more and a 1 bedroom unit is all that is available...thoughts?

I would find an apartment or similar place for on base-lodging rate or less off base. Then pick a date and quietly check out of lodging.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, faipmafiaofficial said:

Was told today that the lodging manager at Lackland decided the 1 bedroom TLF's are suitable for 5 people.  He won't give a non-A unless you have 6 or more and a 1 bedroom unit is all that is available...thoughts?

Are there enough beds for all 5 people? If not then I would ask him to show you exactly where your family is supposed to sleep. If there aren't beds for everyone and your leadership isn't going to bat for you then I have no words.

My guess is that AF Inns don't want to lose the business so they want enough power to make you stay on base when it works for them. Hence why they got rid of the less than 24 hr - "we don't need no stink'n non-A slip" rule most of us aircrew so eagerly used.

For the most part, AF Inns provide a mediocre service. I have been to a few who have their poop together (Ramstein comes to mind), but most others stateside leave little to be desired. I just stayed at Andrews recently with a crew. Was not impressed with the "Presidential" and shit, that's Andrews.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If that doesn't work, make it readily apparent to him that a 1 bedroom TLF isn't enough.  Baby crying?  Take him to the lobby.  Kids going crazy for being pent up?  I think the lobby would make a great playground.  As soon as the manager takes a break, put the baby to sleep in his office and tell him that you consider the hallway to be an "suitable" office for him.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Smokin said:

If that doesn't work, make it readily apparent to him that a 1 bedroom TLF isn't enough.  Baby crying?  Take him to the lobby.  Kids going crazy for being pent up?  I think the lobby would make a great playground.  As soon as the manager takes a break, put the baby to sleep in his office and tell him that you consider the hallway to be an "suitable" office for him.

Love it. We will see what happens. 

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:35 PM, faipmafiaofficial said:

As you're following the good advice BeerMan provided, don't forget about the Base Fire Marshall (CE) and the fire inspectors in the CE squadron...when you're talking that many people in a two-room TLF, you're probably looking at sofa beds and whatnot, so you might be violating some NFPA egress codes.  Just a thought.

• Upvote 2

Also, with a baby, you could probably throw out the crew rest card.  You won't be afforded the opportunity for 8 hours of uninterrupted crew rest with only a 1 bedroom TLF...

• 4 months later...

Looking for some advice here.  Short version of the story: wife and I attending PIT at the end of the month.  Lodging booked us into separate rooms which is a foul.  I called today to fix it and their solution was to just consolidate us into one room.  I told them that jamming us into one dorm isn't the solution.  I also told them we have a pet and they said no pet-TLFs were available.  I subsequently asked if they had ANY TLFs available and they neg-responded to that.

So...is lodging considered adequate and available in this situation?  The lodging reservation lady refused to cut a non-a because I mentioned "pet" even though they have no TLFs available anyway.  New JTR has 3 situations to verify non-availability and I am fairly certain separating us to fit into one room or condensing us into a room meant for 1 doesn't qualify as adequate.

Edited by Standby

The lodging reservation lady refused to cut a non-a because I mentioned "pet" even though they have no TLFs available anyway. 

Call back later, don't mention "pet." Profit?

Are you concerned about getting a good place to stay or more just curious if you can snag a non-a letter for the TDY?

If the concern is no-kidding obtaining acceptable living conditions, there are way better ways to do PIT than living on RND. PIT pads (I think some are pet friendly too), furnished apartments, you name it. But, hopefully that's not new information.

Good luck to ya, them folks at RND seem to be sticklers on the non-a thing. Fight the good fight man.

2 hours ago, Dapper Dan Man said:

...Are you concerned about getting a good place to stay or more just curious if you can snag a non-a letter for the TDY?...

Not trying to rip-off the ole gubment, just want a nice play to stay for 5 months. We have been living out of a suitcase for the last 7 years and would appreciate accommodations with more than just a queen bed and microwave. Rock on!

Not trying to rip-off the ole gubment, just want a nice play to stay for 5 months. We have been living out of a suitcase for the last 7 years and would appreciate accommodations with more than just a queen bed and microwave. Rock on!

If you want a nice place to stay, skip the base altogether.

• Upvote 1

Word dude. Definitely don't stay on base. Most folks going through PIT get some arrangement off base anyway. I think there's some good gouge on PIT pads on here in some thread somewhere. Basically they'll charge you the on-base rate and most take the GTC too, all owned by folks out in the bro network and they're in the business of making things as easy as possible.

Furnished apartment is an option too, plenty in San Antonio that are solidly priced. Side note on those: I remember some issues dudes had if they put their spouse's name on the lease with theirs. Some combination of Texas law merged with finance/JTR rules, and boom all of a sudden finance would not reimburse lodging expenses. If others know the story refer to appropriate thread or correct me as required please.

Good luck brother, enjoy PIT!

"Stay as long as you can, for the love of god cherish it."

• 2 months later...
On 7/20/2017 at 6:41 PM, Standby said:

Looking for some advice here.  Short version of the story: wife and I attending PIT at the end of the month.  Lodging booked us into separate rooms which is a foul.  I called today to fix it and their solution was to just consolidate us into one room.  I told them that jamming us into one dorm isn't the solution.  I also told them we have a pet and they said no pet-TLFs were available.  I subsequently asked if they had ANY TLFs available and they neg-responded to that.

So...is lodging considered adequate and available in this situation?  The lodging reservation lady refused to cut a non-a because I mentioned "pet" even though they have no TLFs available anyway.  New JTR has 3 situations to verify non-availability and I am fairly certain separating us to fit into one room or condensing us into a room meant for 1 doesn't qualify as adequate.

Per AF lodging policy, not having pet-friendly TLFs doesn't make them inadequate...AFI 34-135, paragraph 1.19.6.

As far as space being "adequate," paragraph 3.3.3 says, "Lodging assigns families to [Civilian Lodging] on a voluntary basis when TLFs are fully occupied or adequate space is not available (lodging manager will determine if VQ space is suitable..."

So, that's the AFI for what it's worth.  I'm not a fan that the lodging manager has the authority to determine the adequacy of their own space since their operation is funded by your per diem dollars...seems shady.  However, convincing the lodging manager (or his/her boss, or boss's boss, or IG, etc) that the space is not adequate is up to you and your leadership.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, BFM this said:

Tried to cram me and my three kids (2 x Teenagers, a toddler and golden retriever) into a 1 BR TLF with lead based paint.

While that was three years ago, don't bet on it.

Well, I have 5 kids, two of them teenage girls (I know, I’m crazy).  I gotta think there’s an AFI not forcing 7 people in a 1 bedroom TLF.  

1 hour ago, flyusaf83 said:

Well, I have 5 kids, two of them teenage girls (I know, I’m crazy).  I gotta think there’s an AFI not forcing 7 people in a 1 bedroom TLF.  

Have you called billeting to see if they even have TLFs with enough rooms?

I’m at PIT now and didn’t bother with billeting at all. Straight to my PIT pad. My guess is that they will give you whatever TLF they have available at the time and if they have any available they won’t be giving you a Non-A. 

Why not just move your family into your final location? You will still draw BAH from your losing unit till you inprocess your gaining unit. Add that to you $60/day and you can get a nice apartment or PIT pad.