How Hot Is The Inside Of A Jet?

Guest JustinHR

Guest JustinHR

I have heard that some planes get very hot inside and I'm just wondering how hot do they get? Are they hot when you get in them but cool of once you get in the air or what? The reason I ask is I don't handle extreme heat but I can handle Extreme cold, I love the snow. Also when you are in somewhere like iraq what are the living areas like? Tents?

Guest C-21 Pilot

Although this seems like a comical question, I'll throw my $.02 in...

In the Tweet, when temperatures are well above 100 degrees F, I'd bet a paycheck that some c0ckpits will heat up to approx 120 or so depending upon time in chocks, as well as if you taxi w/ the canopy open (smart) or closed (dumbass). Good thing is, you aren't probably taking off in that weather due to performance restrictions.

In the T-1, never a factor. The AC is cranked and the beverages are flowing...

In the C-21, it gets VERY freakin hot. Yeah, you may say that it's a Gucci plane and all, but the goods are for the DV's in back...who gives a rats ass about the guys pulling the yoke. I've seen it around 135 degrees or so in the desert, and the c0ckpit, well, hot enough to roast my ass. Actually, I've heard of guys heating their MRE's through the glareshield (which can hit ~ 200 degrees F), and I've actually lost my VHF radio due to overheat situation (160 degrees F) while the jet was parked on the apron at DM AFB.

Once at altitude, for the most part, you can control the temps...the C-21 doesn't have a forward facing AC in the operational fleet - only the one's at Keesler have that luxary. I'm pretty sure that all of the heavies have that accomidation.

I don't know about the meat eaters, but I'd recon they fry as well.

As far as billeting in the desert/Iraq? I thought you watched CNN...all the troops are shacked up in the Hilton....it's called WAR. If you wanna know, go watch M*A*S*H*. (sarcasm intended)

-Cheers, and keep the homefires burnin'

[ 23. September 2004, 14:12: Message edited by: C-21 Pilot ]

Got to agree with C-21 driver. The Learjet is an oven. Weak freon air conditioner ducted 12 feet to dinky fan in ****pit. I suffered through five summers in Houston like that. By comparison, any jet with PACKS is nice and cool. (The Embraers I fly now will make it snow in the ****pit.)

Guest JustinHR

So it's kinda like getting into a car that has been in the roasting sun? It's really hot until you can get moving? I was just asking because I keep hearing about planes being hot and I thought as much as they cost they should have some kind of A/C. I remember when I went to a air show the F-15C pilot opened his c0ckpit as he was taxing and the announcer said something about that was letting out all the cold air.

I thought that you would be put in tents and stuff but I saw the show "Off To War" and those guys got like these small trailers. I was thinking that, that was pretty luxurios(spelling?) for war. So I thought Fighter pilots would get better places then them.

Guest Aces-High

****pit temperatures get pretty high on the ground. In military ****pits they don't worry about the A/C too much since the aircraft are designed for performance flight not luxury. Typically the better the A/C the heavier and bulkier the A/C equipment.

At altitudes of around 10,000 feet the temps start dropping nicely and you don't need the A/C. Or if you are skinny, like me, you never need the A/C.

Fighter pilots typically always get the worst of accomodations. If its a warzone then they are most likely in tents, even if the heavy guys are in hotels. But hey, the more the warrior the more discomforts they can handle right? Plus, they don't deserve hotels since they get all the women. Heavy guys have the stick it to them somehow

Anyone else find it kind of weird that on a site designed for pilots and people trying to be pilots that the word ****pit gets blocked? Im not sure, I guess maybe the word ****pit is something that isnt used anymore. Maybe not PC enough. I guess from now on, I will call it a personpit. :rolleyes:

Guest JustinHR

"Or if you are skinny, like me, you never need the A/C."

I'm Very skinny so hopefully I will be ok. Being skinny is one reason I have not gone to a recruiter yet. He would get a good laugh when I told him I want to be a pilot. I'm 17 but people say I look around 14-15 even one time 13. I got a 4% BMI if that helps. I eat like crazy but don't gain a ounce oh well I glad though because I could not go on a diet. I'm working out now hoping to bulk up and hoping for a growth spert :D .

"Fighter pilots typically always get the worst of accomodations."

I would have thought helo guys would have the worst accomodations and fighter guys have the best. Learn something new everyday

Guest rotorhead

HercDriver, I can't say I disagree with ya! Just gotta add:

Pavehawks set the bar on cockpit heat...helmet, body armor, survival vest, holster/weapon, lots of glass, 100 feet altitude, lots of glass, a zillion radios/avionics, oh, and NO AC AT ALL.

(We do have a vent blower. To simulate that beast, turn your wife's hair dryer on highest heat and let it blow in your face!)

Oh, and for those less fortunate types who have not had the pleasure of flying in a MAC10 exposure suit, it's even damn hot in winter!

Justin,

I graduated HS at 6'1" 145 lbs and could eat a horse four times a day. Now, 30, I'm 6'2" 195 and don't eat nearly as much. It's all about metabolism. Yours will slow down and the recruiter should know that. Matter of fact, you will probably be less likely to approach the weight limits than many other "average" sized men. So it can be seen as an advantage.

--------------

Wxpunk

Guest JustinHR

yeah I'm 5'7" and 110 so I'm at the limit at the low end of the scale .

Thanks rotorhead now I know I don't want a helicopter :D

"how hot is it behind a jet exhaust? I heard it was hot....."

Yeah it is and the thrust can even flip a taxi!! Anyone see that episode of mythbusters?

Guest JustinHR

I'm sorry if this was a dumb question but since I have never been inside a military aircraft except at a air show I didn't know how hot they get. So I was just wondering how hot they get and I thought this would be the best place to ask. Like I said I don't handle heat well so if the jet was 200 degrees the whole time I fly I would probably not enjoy flying. Since it is only hot until you get in the air I will be fine. So thanks everyone for answering my questions. If anyone wants to add anything else about this by all means please do because I know nothing about the Air Force except what people have told me.

What does FE stand for?

[ 24. September 2004, 22:45: Message edited by: JustinHR ]

Guest Aces-High

Just curious Justin, how old are you? And don't worry about your weight. If you can do the physical stuff and aren't starving yourself then you'll be fine. Its better to be a lightweight pilot anyway especially if you fly choppers . The less pilot weight the more fuel!

Oh, and FE stands for flight engineer. He handles the engine instruments and the climate controls among other things.

[ 24. September 2004, 23:40: Message edited by: Aces-High ]

Guest JustinHR

I'm 17. Yeah I know a guy who was in the navy and I'm taller then him and bigger and he said if he can make I can too. He is the reason why I have decided to give a shot at joining the Air Force.

• 3 weeks later...

Unless of course you're in a 135 in which case there is no A/C on the ground and good luck stealing the air carts away from the AWACS or JSTARS or any ISR bird. It getsabout 150 degrees and you tanker pilots can eat me. The only windows that open are right next to you and you don't do anything on the ground. Meanwhiele your boom does all the grunt work. Enjoy your breeze.

Guest joeinsd37

Tom Cruise sweats alot in his Tomcat, but Doug Masters seems relatively cool in his Viper, so I think I'd go Air Force if I were you--better air conditioning contractors. And are FEs really necessary?

Originally posted by McGigglesby:

And are FEs really necessary?

Apperently not because they are designing us right out of the Air Force...ie, C-130J, C-17. We are just not needed in the new aircraft, and I'm sure that the Nav's are feeling the love too.

What better way to save money than to get rid of the guy that tells you where to go and the guy who knows all the systems.

Yeah, for the most part our pilots are pretty good on systems by the time they get to be AC's. And on the newer aircraft the systems can monitor themselves and even re-route signals as needed. The commercial world knew this years ago when they started getting rid of their FE's.

The current versions of FMS's and GPS, approaches that display on MFD's, flight plans and threat area's on MFD's, advanced avionics, it's no wonder the Nav is on the way out too. But as I've heard some pilot's say...it's nice to have an extra set of eyes and an extra aircrew on the jet. Oh well, maybe I will go back to maintenence and fix jets again...

Originally posted by sweaty:

Unless of course you're in a 135 in which case there is no A/C on the ground and good luck stealing the air carts away from the AWACS or JSTARS or any ISR bird. It getsabout 150 degrees and you tanker pilots can eat me. The only windows that open are right next to you and you don't do anything on the ground. Meanwhiele your boom does all the grunt work. Enjoy your breeze.

In the middle of the hot, 100 degree, Mississippi days here at CBM, the T-1 can get unbearable at times. I remember several times I had to put my flight gloves back on while in the jump seat because I was too cold, and countless times we had to turn the air-conditioner off because it was getting too nipply.

[ 18. October 2004, 03:23: Message edited by: JS ]