FT awards

Gravedigger

Here's another question about FT. I was listening to the awards that were given out to people in my Det and got to wondering about what awards there are. I know I heard physical fitness, academic, and marksmanship. Does anyone know where I can find a list of the possible awards and the criteria for earning them?

Guest lovelacm

Wannabe -

Good thought, but don't even worry about it. Fully prepare yourself for FT and then go kick some serious butt during the encampment. Take care of your flight and make some good friends. Attempting to win an award is great way to end up lookin' like an ass.

Go to FT with a good attitude, fully prepared, and ready to help folks any way you can. Be a team player and you'll set yourself up for award possibilities.

And remember the most important item... HAVE FUN! This is a one-time-good-deal in your career.

Cheers!

Linda

Have to somewhat disagree, go to FT knowing the possibilities, just do not let those ideas consume you. Most important thing at FT, be willing to make a decision. Even if it's going to get you yelled at, don't be afraid to make a decision. I saw WAY too many timid people at FT.

Guest goirishgo

truth is, the DG "gunners" as i call them end up getting DG, but not the respect of their flightmates. having gone through once and then having been a CTA, i saw plenty of it. FTOs tend to have trouble in evaluating and the kid who always says "hey guys we gotta make our beds" ends up being characterized as the "leader." of course you have to make your beds, it's part of every day. in fact, as a CTA, when i saw stuff like that going on it was like target practice. i'd be on that kid like flies on a terd. not every CTA is that way, but some are, so just don't be that guy.

at my final counseling (first time at FT), my FTO told me i did very well, but didn't get any said awards. he said this was because i was quieter than the others in the top third who won awards. i told him that's fine with me since i didn't come there to win awards. i'm glad that i could be myself, though, and only speak up when something needed to be said. yeah i could've gone around being master of the obvious but at the end of the day i had people's respect. there are kids in our flight who got DG that didn't....

the upshot of this is that FT isn't the be all and end all. you can still get a pilot slot without an FT award. you can be wing commander, you can graduate DG from your detachment. i've seen all of the above happen in my very own graduating class. FT factors into the grand equation, but not nearly as significantly as some would like you to believe.

bottom line -- don't sweat it [awards], work hard, and be yourself. take care of others first and earn their trust and respect. awards are always best when won as a consequence of doing things for the right reasons. you can be a dick cheese and still win an award but you're still a dick cheese when the day is done and awards won't change that.

good luck

Guest Metalhead

Yea I didn't get any of those, and the assholes non-vol'd me to Laughlin 8 years later because of it. Bastards.

Dude. they don't matter, be a team player and do your job. Have fun duing it and shit will work out.