Customs and courtesies

Gravedigger

I just left from Pensacola and we had to take leave (sometimes) and get permission to leave a 300 mile radius. My assumptions are all based on my experiences as I haven't made some type of special tour to visit all AETC bases. I have only been to a few AETC bases. I didn't say that all AETC bases have this rule, only that it is surprising that Goodfellow isn't not more strict considering they are strict with everything else.

You are more than welcome to disagree but it is interesting how you seem to be able to tell me how I am wrong about my own personal experiences as an enlisted airman going through training. Please, tell me more about how airmen get treated at all AETC training units.

Dude, I pointed out how a Kirtland AETC training wing does not follow this policy, and Vance was listed as another. So I don't see this as being 'very rare' as you described when it comes to a 'no-mileage' restriction in AETC. Others can chime in with the other AETC units if they'd like.

As for Goodfellow, I have yet to comment on what they do as I haven't got a clue. I don't doubt the shenanigans you mention are true, but it's not some massive AETC conspiracy with how they treat everybody in a training course and their pass policy. Hell, even Gravedigger disagreed with you with his experience of the AETC Spaceworld. As for the 29B's...sorry man, we've all had to deal with them as they've been around at least since the early 2000's (and probably earlier). Have you taught in AETC or just been a student? I used to brief the new students on the AETC no-tobacco policy during duty hours and told them to be smart about it.

It is very different from base to base and unit to unit.

Now you're on to something...much better than 'It is an AETC thing' and 'very rare'. There are young guys who read these posts and there's no point in throwing up things that aren't true.

And for the record man, it does suck that the guys at Goodfellow are being a bunch of tools. As I used to tell my students back when I was in AETC, to put it in their critiques and remember the things they didn't like when they're sitting in the instructor chair one day. This too will pass.

Bendy--I wanted to add a pic of 2 half-naked chicks pulling each other's hair, but I didn't want to be the one making the thread NSFW. So here you go!

• Upvote 1

29B's aren't just in AETC. I have to fill one out every time I take leave. Even if my entire leave consists of staying at my house...

Isn't that what the leave form is for? Ahhh, good ol' red tape!

Army CGSC requires you to be on a pass if at any time you will spend the night anywhere other than your residence, and they back up the policy with a threat against line of duty determination if anything should somehow happen to you. Wanna go have a night in KC or stay at a friends place after boozing? Fill out that pass form, son.

This is only offset by the equally liberal pass policy that I can go anywhere in the conus on a pass over the weekend without having to take leave, so long a I am ass in seat come Monday morning.

It's bizarre.

Chuck

29B's aren't just in AETC. I have to fill one out every time I take leave. Even if my entire leave consists of staying at my house...

Wrong form--and now it's for the whole Air Force!

AFI 91-202

1.5.21.12. Supervisors are encouraged to provide an interactive pre-departure safety briefing to all active duty military personnel, reserve component personnel in a duty status and civilian personnel performing official duties scheduled for travel outside the local area. While potentially effective for all ages, the briefing is especially targeted for personnel under the age of 26. This briefing may be documented on AF Form 4392, Pre-Departure Safety Briefing. See Attachment 11 for recommended guidance.

AFI 91-202

1.5.21.12. Supervisors are encouraged to provide an interactive pre-departure safety briefing to all active duty military personnel, reserve component personnel in a duty status and civilian personnel performing official duties scheduled for travel outside the local area. While potentially effective for all ages, the briefing is especially targeted for personnel under the age of 26. This briefing may be documented on AF Form 4392, Pre-Departure Safety Briefing. See Attachment 11 for recommended guidance.

translation: nope.

• Upvote 4

I was an O student in an E heavy AETC TRS for over a year at DLI. Couldn't have had it any better. The squadron (considered a TRS from the Goodfellow Wing, with Intel CC & DO) was almost completely hands off with us. It was a big boy program - Pass your PT test, work hard in class, don't get a DUI and you're GTG.

They would ask us to help out with the occasional event (think wingman day or parade) from time to time as there were very few perm party Os in the unit, but it was not frequent and most of us actually enjoyed that as it was a chance to connect with junior Airmen who hadn't been tainted yet!

There was no 29B or reflective belt nonsense. We were asked to be professional and to "help" the Airmen where we saw honest mistakes as they were still new. Additionally, to keep us in the loop - the Sq/CC would bring the Os in about once per quarter and let us know what was happening in the USAF/AETC/Sq.

Frankly I was surprised after hearing about all the AETC nonsense elsewhere, particularly since we were part of the Goodfellow wing. But while the school itself was tough I thought things on the unit side were about as good as can be.

zb

most of us actually enjoyed that as it was a chance to connect with junior Airmen who hadn't been tainted yet!

How do you 'taint' someone? Sounds painful.

AFI 91-202

translation: nope.

Not that it really matters, but didn't the 29B take the place of the 4392? Maybe that's what Day Man meant...

I remember the form number changing toward the beginning of UPT, because all the class commanders sent out new templates for 29B's to the students to take the place of the old form. Pretty sure it 4392. I think the idea was that the 4392 was "suggested", but the 29B became "mandatory" for AETC students, regardless of age.

Mark that under, "Who Gives a Shit".

The 29B talk is making me nauseous.

There is a retired E-9 turned contractor instructor that roams the school house. Performs belt checks, checks out the classrooms room by room every weekend and take mental notes to see who's studying (depending on who you ask, he's in there on weekends because he cares or because he wants extra $$). Highly opinionated and can't accept the fact that he is no longer AD (insisted people call him by Chief last name, a Mr. would be an insult to him). Complained once to the leadership that students weren't in the classroom on-time and a new policy came out mandating everyone be in seat 5-till or you are late and the whole class is subject to punishment. They even had instructors waiting by the main entrance taking down names every morning. On one occasion, one of the NCO instructors asked him to chill out about minding everyone's business and reminded him that he's a contractor now and that earned the NCO a good tongue lashing by the said contractor.

Funny thing about him is when the tyrant leadership was around he went along with the buffoonery. As soon as the investigation started he was searching for answers like the rest of us.

Added: He also found time to enforce a phantom parking policy. If you were a student then you are not allowed to park in one of the parking lots because it is close to the school house even though there is no such policy and no other instructors cared. if he sees a student driving near the parking lot, he would flag the person down (regardless of rank) and asked if the driver was planning on parking there.

Ah, good times... :beer:

Edited by PanchBarnes

Damn. At Kunsan that sort of behavior would earn a car full of classified shredder paper from the LPA.

Maybe an IG complaint about it?

Sorry life is so rough there bros, that sounds miserable. Do you fill out a form each time you take a dump and note the qualities of your dump for tracking purposes and to track regularity? Does the Mr. Chief (ret) Douche demand a fiber increase if it's not regular enough? Good lord...I see a candidate for force shaping, obviously he doesn't have enough to do as a contractor if he's got time to roam the hallways looking for hazees.

Wow! Someone needs to invite this guy to BODN...it would be classic.

I doubt he'd have any issues taking on this crowd, without an iota of thought towards altering his perspective a bit...like a salmon swimming upriver, but without any real purpose...could be funny though.