Altus AFB info

Guest C-21 Pilot

Most of this thread is where should I stay while at Altus but what should I bring? 55" flat screen? Hunting/fishing/shooting stuff? Backpacking stuff?

Also, if there are any updates regarding housing feel free to throw those comments in too.

There's some pretty good hiking around (quartz mountain and the wildfire refuge.) I can't remember if they had campsites.

If you go 400 miles further west there are mountains. The local attractions warrant nothing more than a pair of sturdy shoes so you can hop around the rocks before you head back to your hotel. Quartz mountain has a golf course and other junk with campsites and boating related activities mostly. There's no camping in the wildlife refuge.

There's no camping in the wildlife refuge.

I'm pretty sure this is false. We went up memorial weekend 5 years ago. Rented 2 little two man swamp boats from base and went fishing all day and camped in a camper at night. If I recall, there is no alcohol inside the refuge. One of our guys got busted and got a hefty fine. Make sure you don't leave beer boxes or any evidence of alcohol in the back of your truck.

I got some great pictures and caught some decent size fish.

If you don't bring your own big screen tv, you can always rent one if you get a space a slip and rent an apartment.

Enjoy!

i've hunted, fished, hiked, shot guns, even did some drag racing, all while tdy there for school. outdoors activities are plentiful (its relative, i mean it aint alaska). I caught a few nice flat heads under the spill-way.

There's also plenty of fat girls with kids that need a rais'n.

make sure you get up to Meers for a burger and homemade icecream.. it was on the food channel awhile back.. it's good

week nights you can cook your own steak at Charlie's (short walk from the Q's)

bout all i have to say about KLTS..

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

A few more Altus inputs:

There is a really good elk hunt on Ft. Sill about 1 hr away from Altus. The gun hunt is pretty hard to get drawn for but the archery hunt is much easier and depending on what area you're drawn for, it's one of the better hunts I've ever seen. Their regulations are pretty complex and hard to grasp but worth it. There is also a fair amount of whitetail and hogs. PM me if you want my inputs on where you should go.

There are more and more crashpads available and if you don't want hotel points, I would recommend getting one of these even if you don't have a nonA letter. They're well-outfitted (big screen tv's, stocked kitchens, etc) and living in a hotel for 5 months sucks.

Grapevine Cafe and Buena Vista are the two best places in town to eat.

• 3 months later...

I have a 3 bedroom, fully furnished house located 3 miles North of Altus AFB. Designed as a crashpad, each room has queen bed, 32-in TV. Main room has 52-in TV; all rooms have DirecTV w/Sunday Ticket. It sits on 1.3 acres w/no backyard neighbors; deck/gas grill. Easily pay w/GTC via PayPal. Kitchen has everything you need....just show up. For more info/availability email rymacl@yahoo.com or call 701-330-5982.

I have a 3 bedroom, fully furnished house located 3 miles North of Altus AFB. Designed as a crashpad, each room has queen bed, 32-in TV. Main room has 52-in TV; all rooms have DirecTV w/Sunday Ticket. It sits on 1.3 acres w/no backyard neighbors; deck/gas grill. Easily pay w/GTC via PayPal. Kitchen has everything you need....just show up. For more info/availability email rymacl@yahoo.com or call 701-330-5982.

Just don't park your car along the road.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Looking for a 2-3 bedroom furnished place for me and the family now through late Aug. Anyone know of anything available? I can't find a listing of this stuff anywhere locally, all seems to be word of mouth with the exception of 2 places that are booked.

• 2 months later...

Anyone been through Altus recently and done the hotel thing to rack up points? I'd like to stay in the Hampton and rack up some Hilton points, but the website is saying their government rate is still $89/night. Can they be talked down to the $77/night (which the Holiday Inn Express offers)?

Yeah its $77/night plus tax, which comes out to 89. When you check in, they remove the tax and you pay the 77 per night. I'd highly reccomend the Hampton. They were super helpful, upgraded me to a suite (was there for 5 months), and I was able to rack up a ton of HHonors points to get Diamond VIP and have my next 2 years of hotels paid for with points. And free breakfast every morning. Not to mention you're literally right next door to the second coolest place in town besides Scooters...Applebees.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Yeah its $77/night plus tax, which comes out to 89. When you check in, they remove the tax and you pay the 77 per night. I'd highly reccomend the Hampton. They were super helpful, upgraded me to a suite (was there for 5 months), and I was able to rack up a ton of HHonors points to get Diamond VIP and have my next 2 years of hotels paid for with points. And free breakfast every morning. Not to mention you're literally right next door to the second coolest place in town besides Scooters...Applebees.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Thanks, man. That's exactly the same type of thing I'm hoping for. I'll be there for about 5 months as well.

Do yourself a favor and get the HHonors card and put the hotel on it. Also keep an eye on their website for promotions where you sign up for double or triple points. You should be able to get close to 500k points if you do it right.

Do yourself a favor and get the HHonors card and put the hotel on it. Also keep an eye on their website for promotions where you sign up for double or triple points. You should be able to get close to 500k points if you do it right.

THIS!

I left -135 PIQ with 644K points.

HHonors is a loyalty program...not a credit card per se, although they may have one, I don't know.

There is a credit card that is linked to the program. Much like a Delta AMEX, etc.

Hate it when I try the GTC and for some reason it doesn't go through...

I seem to have the same problem on occasion...