Altus AFB info

Guest C-21 Pilot

When moving from Vance to Altus for C17 school, is that a tdy move? How long will we be at the schoolhouse? If it's tdy, do you get any extra $$ for the time you're there?

thanks

Yes and yes.

It is a TDY enroute for AD folks. It's $20 a day per diem on base (roughly), $31 a day for off base for meals and incidental expenses.

What they have been doing for folks on base is giving them the proportional per-diem rate M-F, and the Gov't rate on the weekend, this is a compromise for the missed meal forms. They figure you're gonna miss meals about 5 out of 7 days a week. I think it's fair.

I think the C-17 RTU is about 8 or 9 weeks, but I couold be wrong, since I'm a -135 guy. I do know that the sim is up and running 20 hours a day, 7 days a week, so your "weekend" may fall on a Wed/Thurs. Also, they are starting the whole Left seat/Right Seat thing for all the folks in C-17 and -135 land, so it might be longer (sts) Plan accordingly.

If you maintain a residence or have a family in Enid, reference the Spouses forum for discussions on whether or not to bring the spouse.

Check with TMO about moving belongings. I think they will move you, but they won't move everything.

Browse the baseops website for per-diem rates/voucher stuff. Lots of good info.

Good luck. Where are you headed?

Guest AirGuardian

Altus, mmm baaaad, Ok City, mmm Goood!

Expect to end up at Scooters paying the $5 cover charge for the .25 cent beers. Got to drink your money back and it's better to be off base near it so you can stagger home...

If you were a Guard or Reserve guy you could have come down to our place in MS for 2 months and spend only 2 to 3 weeks at Altus for the flying part...

Granted, PAB knows I was only there for 9 working days to finish my flying when I met him at the Altus Club Cafediarreha... Sorry PAB, I had to rush the course, my AETC bucket of BS was full... IP's pretty cool, jets pretty old, windy flying, what more could you ask for!

[ 23. December 2004, 16:53: Message edited by: AirGuardian ]

tktkt,

It probably won't be quite $1500 per month extra with all the tax free and hostile fire and per diem, but it'll probably get pretty close to that in most months as a new co-pilot on the line.

As far as the TDY thing, yes it is for MOST AD guys, but not everyone. Some of my buddies actually did a TDY out and back from Vance to Altus. Once they completed Altus, they went back to Vance, out processed and then headed out to their respective bases.

I did the TDY enroute thing. I think the per diem at Altus came out to around $30 per a day or something like that. Some of the other guys that went recently might have more accurate numbers.

• 10 months later...
Guest C-21 Pilot

Any new info out there for Altus housing for families in C-17 ACIQ.

The search function yielded stuff over a year old...

TLF, Base Housing, or Apartments? Suggestions

wife, 3 kids...this summer.

Guest pavesooner

I lived in Altus as a kid and again in college as my dad drew that assignment 2 times....

there are plenty of appartments around town...

The north side of town is much better or it used to be

How long is your class? IF it is just TDY where is your follow on....why not send the kids and wife there to set up and wait for you....

I have 3 kids and a wife of 12 years, I know they would rather be somewhere stable rather than live out of a suitcase for a month or two...or however long your course is....

Also, it would allow you to focus on your course and not worry about them being a distraction....

The billeting on base for unaccompanied guys is right across from the O'club pool, where most people spend time getting a tan and studying...also the golf course is right across the other street...

For food, ricks BBq is pretty good...Polynesian garden is good

I can't remember the name of them though. They were probably the nicest ones in Altus (come out the front gate, make a right, go about 2 miles and they're on the right as you go around a left hand bend in the road).
The name of the place is Madison Trail Apartments . We lived there. Not bad, except the paper thin walls and the fact it's in Altus.

Second the Denny's comment as well, although IIRC the Grand Slam was only $2.99, which is $3 cheaper than here. You get what you pay for. Don't forget the military discount there, either!

Guest PilotKD

Altus does have TLF's for families. I don't know what the availability is like, but I do know a few guys that were staying in them when I was in 135 training last winter. You may also be able to get an apartment off base at the government's expense. You figure, if they're going to pay $30-35 a day for TLF's on base, they can just give you $1,000 a month to live in an apartment off base. One guy in my class was living off base in a furnished apartment for about $1,100 a month. I can't remember the name of them though. They were probably the nicest ones in Altus (come out the front gate, make a right, go about 2 miles and they're on the right as you go around a left hand bend in the road).

• 2 months later...
Guest C-21 Pilot

For you folks in the know...

While I'm at C-17 school in an apartment/dorm this summer, the wife and kids will live in Texas w/ the in-laws.

Is there any BAH/$$$ entitlement that I'm entitled for based on the situation above, and where can I find this info.

I searched this site and didn't find what I was looking for.

https://secureapp2.hqda.pentagon.mil/perdiem/bahfaq.html

Guest newflyer

I'll post here for everyone's benefit..

I'm already at Altus, KC-135 PIQ, headed to McConnell after my "vacation".

Anyway, don't forget that I'm a pilot, not a finance guy. I will tell you how they are doing me (STS if you want) and assume they will treat you the same.

I am TDY enroute from Laughlin, already had my Christmas camping trip to Fairchild, still haven't seen any $$ from that, but supposedly, "the ck is in the mail".

If you stay in billeting on Altus they will pay the $27/day billeting charge plus perdiem which for some reason is different on the weekends. For a month it is supposed to average out to about $17/day.

If you get a non-A slip they could put you as far away as Lawton, 40-50 min drive. But there are some nice ghetto-rific hotels in Altus. If you go this route, apparently the Best Western is the happenin place to be. Breakfast and a couple of free beers each night in the hotel bar.

You can also go off base on your own, w/o the non-A, and they will still pay you up to the $27/day, based on how much your rent is + per diem. Which means you could get an apartment/house, there are a couple of apt complexes close to base that people stay in. From what I understand, there are furnished ones available.

You should still get your BAH, because you have a family to support. I will continue to get the lower Laughlin rate because I haven't inprocessed at McConnell, but just bought a house up there. This should benefit you if Ramstein BAH higher than McChord, unless finance won't play fair that way.

Kinda rambled on, hope I got everything. PM with any other questions and I'll get to them as soon as I can, don't have my computer at Altus.

Good luck!

[ 04. February 2006, 10:29: Message edited by: newflyer ]

Just to give you our story

My husband did UPT at Vance and is now at Altus for the 135 training. He got Mcconnell so I decided to go ahead and move up there before him. He did not get a TDY en route, he just got a TDY, so he still has to go back to Vance and out proccess. So they paid to move us up here but won't pay our dislocation allowance or partial DITY until he gets here. And I could not live on base because you can only get on the housing list 30 days before his report date which isn't until April. So we bought a house but we only get BAH for Vance, not for Wichita, which is considerably less and comes out of our pocket. But even though we came to Mcconnell he is still technically atached to Vance and that is the BAH rate we get. Sorry if I rambled, hope it helps.

[ 06. February 2006, 21:23: Message edited by: medik6 ]

• 6 months later...

I am aware of Altus being the schoolhouse for multiple airframes after T1s. So I assume I will be there at some point. I was just curious what the living enviornment was for some of you who were there. Dorms, family housing, off base, etc. (I will be married at the time I go.)

I hear that it's a TDY and I'll still be assigned to Vance...but will they move me out or is what I bring all up to me and me getting it there? The reason I ask is b/c I'll be getting married after UPT and probably prior to follow on, so trying to get TMO to move my crap and my future wife's crap (which is no where near here) is a whole other issue. Any past experiences or info would be great.

Guest PilotKD

I hear they're pretty full lately with a lot of C-17 studs there right now, so you may get a non-A. Having to stay in Lawton would suck a$$ for those early morning shows. With $39 of per diem to play with off base, you'll bank a buttload, especially if you still eat at the chow hall the majority of the time. The chow hall is actually pretty decent from what I remember.

I did a TDY enroute, so I never went back to my UPT base. I did the same exact thing you're doing. Got married two weeks after UPT and moved both my stuff and my wife's stuff to my new base. It was fairly painless, although I wasn't sure if I was going to have to pay extra for shipping household goods from two different locations (I never did). As long as you don't go over the weight, you should be fine. Make sure you get your wife in DEERS and get her on your orders in the DEPENDENT box so that there's plenty of proof you're married.

• 10 months later...
Guest mjk5401

I want to say it's $27 during the week if you're on base and $12.50 on the weekends, then $39 everyday if you have a non-a slip. Late night Sunday night has been the best time to try to get a non-a. Hit on Maria at the hotel and she might be able to hook you up.

Last time I had a non-A and I was at the Ramada. Dingy rooms, but they had that common middle area where we used to play poker and drink. They had a restaurant and they had vouchers for free breakfast (2 eggs, ham, iced tea - all you paid was the tip) and a bar with mexican food. Fridge and microwave in the room.

My family was still in Enid, so I spent maybe one or two weekends in Altus the entire time.

I understand that the Ramada has gone even further downhill, and I know the other local hotels were dumps. I'd almost rather be on base.

What's good off base these days?

Scoot, here's my 2 cents.

"2" that the Ramada is dingy.

The Best Western was where I stayed for almost 5 months when I was there a little under a year ago. Contintental breakfast everyday and a few days a week you had sausage and cheese omlettes. Everyday was B&G and a lot of other things. Also you get 2 free drinks a day at the little hotel bar. They have a pretty decent pool. It's a 7 minute drive to work and you are off base at the end of the day which is kinda nice.

You get the $39/day +$2/day for laundry and I got vicinity mileage added to my orders for the 12 or so miles round trip I was driving a day. Came out to around $800 for the trip in mileage along. If you get a non-A that says Ramada, you can still use it at the B-dub as long as the rate is still good. Get the non-A if you can. Weekends in Altus are bad enough but they're even worse if you're on base. Plus you can bring your own TV, hook it up to the outlets in the rooms and get all the paid channels for free.

I concour on the B. Western. It's within 5 minutes of the front gate, free wireless internet, breakfast etc. The rooms are just as nice as most billetting rooms and its close enough that you can cruise to the base anytime you want.

I was only there for ~2 months last time and am going to be there soon for -135 CIQ (or whatever it is now called). Will they leave you off base for the whole 4-5 months or will they make the long-term people stay on base?

And "2" on the Hyatt in Tumon, spent 13 days there a few years ago. If you can get over the feeling that you are actually in Japan you can definitely live the high life there! Only hotel I've ever stayed at where you could watch the surf from the john

Where's the Best Western? Is it the one out by the Whataburger and that family restaurant above the gas station?

That's the one.

Don't let the chips fall where they may, that will screw you everytime. Fight for the B-Dub. Also when I left about a year ago they had just finished a brand new hotel by the Applebees. That could be nice to. Altus off base per diem is just too good not to take advantage of. If you're in Altus you're going to drink, most likely off base, might was well let Big Blue pay for it. That extra $13 +$2 laundry/ day can buy a lot of 3.2.

When I say I'll let the chips fall where they may, I mean I won't call a month out and make reservations. I'll show up the night prior and ask the question. If they don't have rooms, I'll request the B-Dub. If they do, I'll ask to be off. If they say no, I'll get my key and settle in for my journey with AETC.

It's really six of one, half a dozen of the other to me. I'm easy. Work out, study, fly, booze, sleep. Rinse, repeat.

BTW, if anyone's gonna be around down there this fall, drop me a PM. First round is on me.

When I say I'll let the chips fall where they may, I mean I won't call a month out and make reservations. I'll show up the night prior and ask the question. If they don't have rooms, I'll request the B-Dub. If they do, I'll ask to be off. If they say no, I'll get my key and settle in for my journey with AETC.

It's really six of one, half a dozen of the other to me. I'm easy. Work out, study, fly, booze, sleep. Rinse, repeat.

BTW, if anyone's gonna be around down there this fall, drop me a PM. First round is on me.

Figure out where you want to stay, I spent some time at the best western before getting an apartment and after the apartment. It was just fine, ditto the daily beers and breakfast. I think there is a brand new microtel or something like that and people liked that. Don't reserve anything on base (I reserved a room at the ramada), just show up. I gave some story about having a reservation at the best western and it was too late to change it, blah blah blah. Next thing I knew I had a non-A slip for the best western in hand. Here's the real BS about the non-a. If you are active duty and you don't want to stay at the hotel listed on the non-a, then you have to stay at or under $27/day plus $39 off base per diem. My reserve finance folks said "a non-a is a non-a no matter where you stay" (wow, that rhymes :rainbow: ), so you are allowed the entire amount on the non-a ($60/day at the best western). I stayed under $27/day in an apartment with rented furniture (i.e. big screen HDTV) with a roommate (active duty), but was allowed by my squadron the $60/day. I also had a washer/dryer (rented) and big blue paid for that despite the AD folks saying it wasn't covered. In short, I could've had much more and nicer shtuff, but toughed it out with what $27/day bought.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have any current experience with Altus AFB lodging? I'm Guard so this will not be an enroute TDY. My wife and I are trying to figure out if we will be able to take our dogs to Altus with us? We have two 50lb labs. We were told on-base TLF is not possible. Would our only option be renting a house off-base? Do most people just leave their pets with relatives for the 4 months?

Guest C-21 Pilot
Does anyone have any current experience with Altus AFB lodging? I'm Guard so this will not be an enroute TDY. My wife and I are trying to figure out if we will be able to take our dogs to Altus with us? We have two 50lb labs. We were told on-base TLF is not possible. Would our only option be renting a house off-base? Do most people just leave their pets with relatives for the 4 months?

I'm on my 5th and last freakin' TDY here at Altus...

If you have the means to leave the dogs w/ relatives, I would recommend that. Like you said, pets are not allowed in the dorms/TLF. According to the Altus Yellow pages, the only kennel in town is the Westside Animal Clinic (580-477-1623.....www.westsideanimalclinic.com). I'm sure you could rent a house, or even some of the local apartments may allow.

I'm at CFIC right now in Altus. Good times!!!! Microtel is the place to be. It's new and the rooms aren't too bad. As long as you don't call ahead you can pretty much guarantee getting off base. Applebees is right across the street. That's about as good as it gets here.

Hopefully this is my last time down here. This place sucks. Bring your golf clubs! That's all I got.

• 3 months later...
Guest C-21 Pilot

All,

I finished my 5 Altus Trips in a little over 14 months...sucked ass, however, this is my experience.

1.) Off base is much better than off base. I only stayed on base twice, PIQ and ACAD...Hampton Inn for IP school, BW for PCO and CPAD.

The BEST location is the new Hampton Inn. They offer free breakfast, you can sign up for the Hilton points, Tues and Thursday is catered by Applebees, which is right next door. I've never been to the new Holiday Inn Express (it looks nice), but there isn't anything w/in walking distance (but you have a rental car, so who cares). I've also stayed at the Microtel, and isn't bad, but the Hampton wins hands down!

2.) The BEST time to check-in is late at night, after 1100. We discussed this w/ the shoeclerk OIC...and most folks have checked in for the next day by that time, so the rooms are full. Do NOT make reservations, ever.

3.) My IP flying partner just showed up with a rental car and they let him stay off base -- with PLENTY of rooms on base.

4.) If you go to PCO (C-17 AC school), it's only about 3 weeks long. You can get a rental car for the SAME amount that you are authorized a rental car...about $360. You may go under about $40, but, you've had a car the entire 3 weeks....it's the "trend" item.

5.) CALL AHEAD AND SEE IF YOU CAN STAY AT THE FOWLER HOUSE!!! This is the HOT new Bed and Breakfast run by a C-17 Instructor Pilot and his wife. I've never been there to stay, but I have heard it is the best thing going. I've been in there and it's pretty nice.

http://fowlerhousealtus.com/index.html

I would HIGHLY recommend this...plus, it helps out a C-17 bubba and his family.

If you don't mind a 15 minute drive, Quartz Mountain is a decent hotel. Just make sure you get a room in the main hotel and not one of the cabins. The cabins are dumps. I wouldn't want to drive to Lawton every day so avoid any housing associated with Ft Sill.