Randolph AFB info

Guest jamesmorrison1982

Originally posted by ThunderCat:

I was told that since I am technically single, I will not be allowed to live off base, but I can fill out a petition (right word?) to live off base and hope for it to get approved. Anyone know how likely I will be able to live off base? Anyone else been in this situation?

It's not a technicality...you ARE single. End of story. Until you have a marriage license in hand the USAF won't give you any special consideration. Until then, it's "the needs of the Air Force" concerning living off base. Apply for it. Hope for the best. Take what comes your way.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ThunderCat

I should be getting the paperwork soon, so I will file the petition to live off base. Like you said, I will just be hoping it works out. Either way, I will probably be living off base anyways, because I am not going to make my fiancé live alone in San Antonio. I guess all that matters is if I will be entitled to my BAH or not.

There's nothing against that right? Living off base if you are supposed to be in the dorms, but just not receiving BAH. (not sure if I worded that clearly)

Has anybody been in this situation before?

I am in the same situation as you are right now. I am single and my g/f and her kitty (STS) will be moving with me to UPT, and the base has the same stipulation regarding living on-base as a "single" stud.

The first time I asked the question I got the "you GOTTA live on-base". Let me tell you that's just the party line. My advice to you is to show up at Base Housing no earlier than your RNLT. That way you maximize your chances of showing up when they are full and/or have no way of allocating a dorm for you on the spot. That's what I will be doing anyhow. Now, all that is great and good as it pertains to BAH, but that's ALL it is about. If you get the non-avail slip great (you get BAH), if not oh well.

Now, most people you'll talk to interchange the "can't" and the "not willing to". When people don't get the non-avail slip they say they "can't" live off-base only because they don't want to pay for a domicile with basic pay. And that's fine, but don't let that term-misuse confuse you. They can't restrain you from obtaining a second dwelling on your own dime if you so choose to. What happens is that you'll have a dorm, and it'll come in handy during certain points on any given week, but then you'll have your stuff and your girlfriend in the apartment off-base. Happens all the time, and I personally wouldn't recommend you go the "refuse govt. quarters" route, that WILL create paperwork and a talk with a commander. Rather, lay low, hope for a non-avail slip, but if it doesn't happen, get your apartment set up and have your dorm for show. That's how I'm going about it if I don't get my non-avail slip anyhow. Most of the time the housing office is so busy they just work with ya and a "if I don't know about it I don't care" anyways. Be cordial with the housing folks when you show up and you'd be surprised how much of a non-issue it is.

I do have to say that the "needs of the Air Force" argument is bullshit. How is it advantageous to the government that I go about it like some of the married folks around here who shotgun wed the honey across the street (Air Force doesn't have shit to say about that now...) so they can solve their housing situation whereas I'm actually trying to do things the right way at my own cost? The answer is, it isn't advantageous to the government, but it IS highly hypocritical and simplistic. This "policy" is nothing more than a by-product of the cultural construct of the UPT/UNT demographics, that's all. Mother Blue assumes ALL single U(P/N)T students are little AFA graduate collegiate inmature children who horseplay during MFS at Brooks at the age of 24 (no shit, witnessed it myself), although judging by the article I just read on the latest AFA commencement AETC does have somewhat of a leg to stand on that one, sadly, but I digress. Bottom line, it's an economic thing, less people to grant BAH, period. That's why they put that economic disincentive to living off-base, and most of the kiddies bite it, which is fine if you just got off the Academy or the 3-bedroom-with-8-people-college-life, but for people in different circumstances (never mind Guard and Reserve folks, where our units are the ones paying the potential BAH no less!) they can't do anything about your choice to have additional dwelling on your own dime, other than witholding BAH, opportunity cost that you and I will agree is a non-issue given our circumstances.

Hope that sheds some light into your head-scratching. Hit me up if you have any other questions. Good luck bud.

• 3 months later...

I was wondering about the indoctrination process that happens at Randolph AFB for new Navs. I report 5 DEC and start actual classes on 14 DEC. From talking to an old loadmaster he says that the 9 days between the two, I am actually probably going to spend about 1 hour of actually doing something. The rest of the days is going to be free time with nothing to do but smoke and joke.

Anyways, I says to myself that they must have alot more stuff to do for me down there than just one hours worth. Why would they budget 9 days for it.

So I guess my question is, what exactly happens between the time you report in to when you actually start classes? Is it the 'ol hurry up and wait, which the military is notoriously known for? Or is there alot to do, and my wife and I won't have any time to go find a place to live or get some lunch cause I'm so busy doing stuff all the time.

Also, a semi related question.

Is your first training base kind of uptight and they treat you like a four year old? Then let's say you go back to another type of school environment (airdrop school/tactical ops school) a couple years later, do they get all uptight and treat you like a four year old again?

Or is just kind of your first base, and they know that this is your first time in the AF so they treat you like a fresh recruit off of the bus and then give a break later on in life.

Those qustions are probably fairly confusing, but any response is appreciated. Thanks!

Just show up, and they'll tell you everything you need to know. The class start date they give you doesn't mean much- you'll start whenever they fit you into the next available class, so you might be casual for a while. On casual duty, you show up to PT 3 times a week, and that's it.

Its an AETC base, so when someone takes a dump, everyone wears diapers. We've had a few alcohol incidents lately, so the next person who screws up is going to get hosed. Overall its fairly chill at the squadron, and most of the instructors are fairly laid back and there to help.

Basically, don't sweat it. Its not difficult here.

I did the report one day, start class a few days later at RND. Best thing to do is report in, you do the meet and greet with the NIFTy Flt Commander (even if you're complete, you're still his until class), get your check-in-checklist and go on your way.

Your Load info is correct. Show up for the 0730 (or whenever it is, they'll tell you) and take care of business (check-in, set up email, visit finance, etc) every day until your class starts. Since you just got there you won't have to get voluntold on a task, they know you gotta get checked-in/settled; especially if you start class the next week. On the same token, if they got something you wanna help out with go for it. But basically work an hour and then go home at set up your stuff.

As for your semi related question: Randy is usually noted for having AETC HQ, AFPC, PIT training, and I think the CSO training gets listed somewhere after the Burger King. Point of the matter is that the BASE isn't like a student environment, but it is a high brass environment so pay attention accordingly. I had a buddy (2Lt) miss a salute with a 3 star but he nailed the salute with another Lt a few minutes later.

You get your student harrassment in the squadron but not anywhere else. They don't treat you like a FOB (Fresh Off the Bus), its not Field Training/OTS. You're treated like an L-T is anywhere else, which doesn't say too much, but you're not a cadet anymore if that's what you mean. Just act like an officer and they'll treat you like one. There are a few exceptions depending on your Flt/CC, but the sweet aint as sweet w/o the sour. Its a good time.

PM if you have any extra questions. Like I said I went through the same deal. Hollar!

[ 14. September 2006, 14:33: Message edited by: Horns05 ]

AETC - Adults Eternally Treated as Children

as long as you are under them, some amount of AETC-ridiculousness will trickle down to you.

There isn't much of this generated at the sq. level here at randolph. There is an instructor or two that seem to get off on belittling people and yelling, but everyone (99.9%) here seems to have the right mindset, and realize that it's entirely likely that they could be working together in an operational sq in the not-too-distant-future.

Some say there is quite a difference between the Nav and EWO instructors here as far as how you are treated, but I don't think I've had enough exposure to the 563rd to talk about that.

Guest Arborist

Barney, The stuff above is mostly correct. However, at least in my experience arriving here in March, you will start a few days before your listed class start date. Our listed date was on a Tues or Wed, but we started the previous Wed. That may or may not be the case with you. I would suggest showing up a few days at least before your RNLT date. In my experience of being casual somewhere else, then arriving here, I didn't have to "get into line" for a class like the NIFT guys seem to do. A bunch of them thought they were going to start in my class, then they got rolled back to make room for me and my type. That said, be here a little early to get moved in- somewhere. You're married, right? So you'll either be in base housing or living off base. PM El Roy for advice on that. Then, if you don't do a full DITY move you'll have to arrange for movers, cable set up, other stuff like that. I delayed till the RNLT date because I had a sweet deal on casual, and I do full DITYs.

It seems like you have a lot of questions, so you might like the extra time to get settled in here, especially if there aren't any pressing issues at your casual base. PM me if you have more questions.

And oh yeah, take advantage of any non-hot day you can down here.

Good Luck

Yes you will be treated like a child, and moreso that the standard AETC unit. Some of the stuff that goes on around there is extremely demoralizing. "Mandatory fun" and "forced motivation" run rampant and having experienced the squadron prior to the command change makes it twice as bad, knowing that it doesn't have to be the way it is.

Your stints in the 563rd will open your eyes. You'll be 10 times busier in the 563rd, working nights and weekends at times, and yet it will seem like a vacation because of the work atmosphere.

People just don't realize that they aren't being treated like humans there because its their first assignment, they don't know what its like in a normal unit, so they accept it as "normal". There is a systemic problem right now in that squadron. The squadron has its share of good people too, but not enough.

• 3 years later...

Retama Ranch was an absolute marvel when I lived there almost 10 years ago. It was brand new then, so don't know if they do furnished. If so, it's a great place with a pool, small gym and minutes from Randolph either via Pat Booker or Loop 1604.

Guest berzerker

Anyone got a recommendation for a GOOD furnished place to live off base at Randolph for 6 weeks? Have kid and a dog and will need furnished. I've found all sorts of apartments, but most have horrible reviews.

Anyone got a recommendation for a GOOD furnished place to live off base at Randolph for 6 weeks? Have kid and a dog and will need furnished. I've found all sorts of apartments, but most have horrible reviews.

If you're going to be here TDY, you are going to receive $39 a day for housing (the equivalent of living on base). A guy in my class found a place on www.VRBO.com (Vacation Rental By Owner) that was willing to rent on a long-term basis to he and his family. Every place on that site will be furnished if you can find one. Other than that, you might have to suck it up at one of those apartments you are talking about.

• 1 year later...

Did a search on this but didn't find anything recent. Headed to PIT in a few months (TDY enroute), bringing the wife and dogs. Looking for a furnished 1 or 2 bedroom apartment with no lease close to base that allows dogs. Found a couple of options but they are pretty pricey ($2200/month) with $500-650 non refundable pet deposits. Wondering if anyone's been through there recently and has any recommendations?

thanks!

I stayed at Ratama Ranch when I went through PIT. Average place, but reesonable rent and they allowed dogs. Can't remember if they had furnished places or not, but I rented a basic apartment setup through Aaron's. It's at the end of Pat Booker just of the Loop - maybe a 6-9 min drive to base (as long as there isn't a train!)

I stayed with Alamo as well (can't remember the name of the apartments they set me up in, but worth looking into.. I know they had a dog policy, but it wasn't "no dogs".

Here's the info:

• 3 years later...

Will be coming to Randolph in Late January for 4 months for RPA training.... As of recent, what are the best options for housing off base? I am married but will be traveling alone. so a one bedroom/studio is all I need which needs to be close to base (within 15 min).

Would staying at the on base hotel be a good idea or is not the best accommodation?

actually, it's an important question, now that the new JTR rules are taking effect. If he's PCSing, and this is a TDY enroute, then he will also be received BAH from his previous duty station, and will therefore have more $$ to spend on a place.

• 2 months later...

I will be TDYing to Randolph for roughly 4 months. I am married and have the option of living on or off base. Would you guys recommend renting a room out out of someone's house off base or sticking to base lodging? I've heard traffic can be horrendous in San Antonio so I would like an easy commute if living off base. Thanks for the help!