Jump to content
Baseops Forums
Toro

Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, Merle Dixon said:

I have had a similar conversation with non-pilot friends. I’ve explained that it takes more time and schooling to build a surgeon or a radiologist than an IP or WIC grad pilot, but the IP or WIC grad probably has $12 million, or more, in training invested in him/her. I have said, “Think about that, there isn’t a medical school or medical training program in the world that costs 12 million dollars, but the AF will only pay 35 grand a year for a pilot retention bonus? Asinine.”

 

It would be significantly more than $12M for a fighter WIC grad

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Merle Dixon said:

I’ve explained that it takes more time and schooling to build a surgeon or a radiologist than an IP or WIC grad pilot

Takes approximately 7-8 years post-bachelors to make a WIC grad, so really it's about the same time to create a patch compared to a MD/surgeon.  Probably have spent $20M+ on that guy too by the end of WIC (encompassing his entire flying career thus far).  The AF is beyond retarded and will summarily dismiss the recent RAND study because it doesn't support what the AF wants to hear.

Edited by brabus
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Sprkt69 said:

Seemed like a nothing burger with fuzzy staff math claiming nothing is F’d

The general seems to be waking up early every day to think about this.

..but

Neither flight pay nor the bonus will increase. (Blame Congress, except for the flight pay--Big AF apparently needs to make it look like we are trying to save money even though Congress allowed us money to help this very problem!)

Those QoL improvements are still mostly unspecified

Manning in all the cited communities looks decent on the spreadsheets

The complaints about feeling valued via promotion, recognition, support, etc mostly went unanswered

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, raimius said:

The general seems to be waking up early every day to think about this.

..but

Neither flight pay nor the bonus will increase. (Blame Congress, except for the flight pay--Big AF apparently needs to make it look like we are trying to save money even though Congress allowed us money to help this very problem!)

Those QoL improvements are still mostly unspecified

Manning in all the cited communities looks decent on the spreadsheets

The complaints about feeling valued via promotion, recognition, support, etc mostly went unanswered

Like I said, staff math.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was underwhelming. The AF is just going through the motions of pretending they want things to improve, while giving lame ass excuses as to why they aren’t actually fixing anything.

I’m sick of things like this (AMA, surveys, etc.). They fucking know what’s wrong. They just don’t give a shit. The generals got where they are playing the current game and without the improvements we are advocating for.  So they aren’t the one that can fix this.  They don’t want to fix it.

McCain is gone. We need go VFR direct to Congress and force the GOs hands. Congress as a whole is a vile incompetent dumpster fire, but there are some good Reps our there.  We need some top cover.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If only a member of Congress read a forum like this...

  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else have less taxes than normal taken out of their bonus check this year? Last one, and I’ll just set it aside for when they come for it, but it was a grand larger this year...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, slackline said:

Anyone else have less taxes than normal taken out of their bonus check this year? Last one, and I’ll just set it aside for when they come for it, but it was a grand larger this year...


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The supplemental withholding rate (rate DFAS uses for bonus payments) was decreased from 25% to 22% by the IRS in 2018 as a result of the tax cuts. Your last check might have been at the higher rate depending on your anniversary date. Should be pretty easy to calculate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone happens to know if you would still be eligible to receive the aviation bonus at normal time of completion of your initial commitment if you were to incur an additional adsc, let's just say for a pcs, or would you have to wait until that new adsc has been fulfilled? I have searched AFIs 36-3004/2107 and the DODI and haven't found any answers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Boomhauer said:

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone happens to know if you would still be eligible to receive the aviation bonus at normal time of completion of your initial commitment if you were to incur an additional adsc, let's just say for a pcs, or would you have to wait until that new adsc has been fulfilled? I have searched AFIs 36-3004/2107 and the DODI and haven't found any answers.

It’s based solely on the year your pilot ADSC expires

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My UPT ADSC expired yesterday. I’ve learned more about the bonus in this thread than from work.

As much as MYPERS spams my inbox about aide and exec jobs, I’m surprised I never got an email with a link to sign up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Warrior said:

My UPT ADSC expired yesterday. I’ve learned more about the bonus in this thread than from work.

As much as MYPERS spams my inbox about aide and exec jobs, I’m surprised I never got an email with a link to sign up.

Are you trying to take the bonus or are you separating?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Warrior said:

My UPT ADSC expired yesterday. I’ve learned more about the bonus in this thread than from work.

As much as MYPERS spams my inbox about aide and exec jobs, I’m surprised I never got an email with a link to sign up.

That’s funny. I usually get one or two each year about the bonus. From mypers or the CCE. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Are you trying to take the bonus or are you separating?


I’m separating. If I wanted to take the bonus I’d have looked for the info.

I thought it was interesting the AF doesn’t push the bonus in a targeted way.

No problem to solve here. Just sport bitching.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Warrior said:

 


I’m separating. If I wanted to take the bonus I’d have looked for the info.

I thought it was interesting the AF doesn’t push the bonus in a targeted way.

No problem to solve here. Just sport bitching.

Congrats! It's not just sport bitching if you're voting with your feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Homestar said:

That’s funny. I usually get one or two each year about the bonus. From mypers or the CCE. 

What if we started treating those emails like scammers or those lottery winner emails? You should respond to the emails and toy with AFPC emotions. I'll sign if you make it say...$40K. Ultimate troll.

Edited by Shazaam
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lol, ultimate troll!  What’s ur bonus number?!  I know a person that got the mythical about “are u sure u want to separate, or what could we do to keep u” email. The legend lives!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The supplemental withholding rate (rate DFAS uses for bonus payments) was decreased from 25% to 22% by the IRS in 2018 as a result of the tax cuts. Your last check might have been at the higher rate depending on your anniversary date. Should be pretty easy to calculate.


So we won’t get that 3% back when we file our taxes next april? Sounds like we are getting ripped off!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HAWDINGL said:

So we won’t get that 3% back when we file our taxes next april? Sounds like we are getting ripped off!

image.png&f=1

The withholding rate has nothing to do with what you actually pay in the end.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was merely commentary on all the people complaining about the size of their tax refunds when what really matters is what your net tax rate [(12 months witholding minus refund)/gross income] is year over year.

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any updates on the FY20 bonus amounts or the talk or switching to professional pay?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it legit to accept the bonus although you head off to a non-flying gig? 

  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...