Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

7 minutes ago, cragspider said:

Well there’s this nice little Av web story  and the one referenced inside it as well. I’ll say this about this current bonus offering, who in there right mind would take this one? This offer isn’t going to go well for them this time. 

I laud the energy these two guys have, but laugh that they think the anyone with the authority to change things will use logic to reverse the recent shifts in long-term manpower/talent management.

There’s always room to create UPT 3.0 and UPT Next-next.  (Not that the current side-effect of using modern commercial technology to increase student skills are bad, but intentionally using that as the primary solution to a self-made problem is wrong.)

2 hours ago, BADFNZ said:

Well everyone's asking why they're offering such a shitty bonus, and the answer is because people are still taking it.  Why would they raise it when they can keep it low and still have plenty of takers?  Vote with your feet.

Exactly right.  

I’m satisfied with the UPT product. Are they overall as good aviators as 1990....maybe not. Do they need to be? No.

It’s a different game. UPT standards over 30 years don’t mean much.

I taught t-38s a decade plus ago and we washed kids out for stuff that isn’t even deemed relevant now.

I was in my first B course 18 years ago today. Little to none of it applies to what I’m doing now. What took 12 jets to go back then, I can do with 4 today, safer and faster.

Lots of old people decry change. I welcome it.

Oh, and the T-1 is a huge reason we lowered attrition. Turns out KC-135 pilots don’t need 4-ship tac formation....no sh-t....!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app
  • Upvote 3

On 4/26/2021 at 9:51 PM, BADFNZ said:

Yet both of you took it.

Yup.  Because I had a concurrent running ADSC because AFPC incorrectly dated my GI bill transfer and refused to fix it. 

Regardless, having seen behind the curtain now, I can speak with authority when I say "don't take the bonus".

On 4/27/2021 at 10:48 AM, BADFNZ said:

Well everyone's asking why they're offering such a shitty bonus, and the answer is because people are still taking it.  Why would they raise it when they can keep it low and still have plenty of takers?  Vote with your feet.

...and I did.  I got out as soon as I could...right in the middle of a global pandemic, at 17 years of service, while non-current in an airplane, and I haven't regretted that decision even once.  So I say again: don't take the bonus.

• Like 2

On 4/28/2021 at 6:39 PM, FourFans130 said:

...and I did.  I got out as soon as I could...right in the middle of a global pandemic, at 17 years of service, while non-current in an airplane, and I haven't regretted that decision even once.  So I say again: don't take the bonus.

I also left AD during the pandemic and have not regretted it one second.** I was also able to receive the bonus where if I'd stayed on Active Duty I would've had to wait another year for eligibility (fiscal years). 

**Note to the younger guys: I cherish my 11 years on AD and would not have done it any other way (e.g. joining the guard directly). 

• Like 1

48k approved by the House. Senate only approved 35k.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as John McCain did in his time, he was a loud voice against a lot of military compensation. “we didn’t need this kind of money to be patriotic back in my day” is what I took away from his position and lobbying on all those items.
  • Like 1

As much as John McCain did in his time, he was a loud voice against a lot of military compensation. “we didn’t need this kind of money to be patriotic back in my day” is what I took away from his position and lobbying on all those items.

And as long as Tom Cotton is on the SASC, I wouldn’t expect a increase either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 hours ago, di1630 said:

Delta hiring, AA hiring, Cargo never stopped hiring...I shouldn’t be looking fwd so much to the FY21 ACP numbers but I am.

At this rate the USAF should try to screw up the bonus and see if by luck they get it correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

Option 1: Get out ASAP and go Guard/get a line number - be eternally grateful you made that decision

Option 2: Take the bonus, get out in 6-9 years and get a line number - be eternally pissed you made a poor choice in 2021 and tell all the young guys not to make the same mistake you did

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just saw some slides with the so-called "Bonus" take rate.  The year isn't over but it's dismal so far.

Only 14% of eligible 11F's have taken it. 

0/10 F-15C pilots took it.  

And 3/32 F-35 pilots.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, di1630 said:

As of 9 April that’s alllll true, RPAs are at 50% though!!

It was a grainy photo from a powerpoint briefing.  I didn't see a date, but the data was readable.  Appreciate you confirming, even though the person providing it was solid.  

I also heard not a single 11R took the "bonus"... go figure.  It will show in 6 months.  

Note:  The etymology of the word "Bonus" comes from ancient Greek.  

The verb is "Boner" and means "to bone".

The "us" ending (as in "Bonus") is the third person plural of the verb "Boner".  

Ergo, "Bonus" means "to bone us" or "we get boned", in the American vernacular.  

(now that I ponder it, I think it is Aramaic, not Greek).  

Edited by HuggyU2
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, HuggyU2 said:

It was a grainy photo from a powerpoint briefing.  I didn't see a date, but the data was readable.  Appreciate you confirming, even though the person providing it was solid.  

I also heard not a single 11R took the "bonus"... go figure.  It will show in 6 months.  

Note:  The etymology of the word "Bonus" comes from ancient Greek.  

The verb is "Boner" and means "to bone".

The "us" ending (as in "Bonus") is the third person plural of the verb "Boner".  

Ergo, "Bonus" means "to bone us" or "we get boned", in the American vernacular.  

(now that I ponder it, I think it is Aramaic, not Greek).  

11Rs were not offered a bonus this year. So they will be zero take for the foreseeable future. 

55 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

I’m aware. I work in an 11R squadron. Just being sarcastic. 

Ah copy. I wasn't sure, because I knew you were a U2 guy but thought maybe you were just out of the fold. I'll have my detection meter worked on. 

• Upvote 1