Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

On 3/9/2021 at 8:03 PM, Smokin said:

But can they grow their way out of the mishap problem?  An aggressive bonus could keep experienced guys around to help train younger pilots which would help prevent some mishaps.  Instead, they're going to save their budget dust and produce more pilots with that money to replace those apparently acceptable losses.

Concur.  The one avenue they haven't tried (an aggressive bonus) is the one that would work most efficiently and effectively...just read the Rand study.  I don't understand why they didn't try a super bonus for a year or two just to see what the take rate would be.  Instead, budget dust in turning directly into airplane dust and dead pilots, and it's heartbreaking.  But hey, none of those pilots were related to Senators...so like you said: acceptable losses.  

In other news, retention in my AFRC unit is excellent, and we're not even getting a bonus this year...yet we're happy to stay.  Where's big blue's math on that?

For those who haven't read this 2019 posting by RAND:

Source: https://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR2415.html

Key Findings

Training cost per basic qualified pilot is generally quite high

• The cost of training a basic qualified fighter pilot ranges from $5.6 million for an F 16 pilot to $10.9 million for an F 22 pilot. Bomber pilot training cost is also high, ranging from $7.3 million for a B 1 pilot to $9.7 million for a B 52 pilot. Transport and mobility pilot training cost is somewhat lower, ranging from $1.1 million for a C 17 pilot to $2.5 million for a C 130J pilot. Training cost per pilot for command, control, intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance operations (e.g., the RC 135) is about $5.5 million.

Retaining pilots is more efficient than accessing new ones

• For each of the pilot specialties considered, increasing AvB to increase retention was more efficient than expanding the training pipeline to sustain a given pilot inventory, over the range of AvB amounts considered.
  • Were pilot training cost lower — $1 million, in the case of fighter pilots — per capita cost would not continue to decline as AvB increases, and, in fact, the efficient level of AvB would be $40,000 per year of additional commitment.
  • It is efficient to increase the AvB cap to at least $100,000 to retain midcareer fighter pilots in the steady state.
  • The share of pilots who are experienced is larger in the early transition years, when S&I pays, rather than the size of the training pipeline, are increased, although the experience mix of pilots is more senior in the steady state.

Edited by FourFans130

2 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

I don't understand why they didn't try a super bonus for a year or two just to see what the take rate would be.

Because it's not authorized by congress. Can't remember what the USAF wanted a few years ago but it was more than $35k and that's what they got.

38 minutes ago, Magnum said:

Because it's not authorized by congress. Can't remember what the USAF wanted a few years ago but it was more than $35k and that's what they got.

They asked for 60K. I believe the house offered 48K but only 35K passed the senate. 

• Like 2

The irony is the Guard has the same bonuses...so if full time is your aim, find that full time guard job and still make the same bonus AD tried to hook you with. The perfect “go fuck yourself!” message to AD as you ride into greener pastures. 

5 hours ago, brabus said:

The irony is the Guard has the same bonuses...so if full time is your aim, find that full time guard job and still make the same bonus AD tried to hook you with. The perfect “go fuck yourself!” message to AD as you ride into greener pastures. 

Heck... it's actually better than AD right now in AFRC (>2 yr gets the full treinta y cinco). It's a basically a play by play of the Office Space scene where Peter (AFRC) tells Michael (RegAF) he's getting fired, and the Bobs got him (Peter) a promotion.... 😬

P.S. Damn, that movie just keeps delivering for me 22 years later. 

"What?!!" Kills me every time. 🤣

Edited by hindsight2020
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 3

Can anyone confirm that the AFRC bonus for TRs does not incur any sort of commitment?  Our MPF is telling us no, and it's probably correct, but a lot of us are hesitant to sign because we're fresh off AD and know Big Blue will try to go in dry with no lube when you let your guard down.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Guardian said:

Is it out yet? I would read and know it. Likely have to pay it back if you back out less than 2 years served on the bonus if it’s anything like the guard. But I would look at the reg.

Wait, there's a part timer bonus now?  

Looks like the guard still has a part time bonus for the FY21. Just published last week. New change to the guard, if you don’t serve your entire bonus commitment, you have to pay the whole thing back. Use to if you served at least 2 years of it, you wouldn’t have to pay any back.

Looks like the reserve FY21 bonus is out as well.

Check myPers

38 minutes ago, Guardian said:

Looks like the guard still has a part time bonus for the FY21. Just published last week. New change to the guard, if you don’t serve your entire bonus commitment, you have to pay the whole thing back. Use to if you served at least 2 years of it, you wouldn’t have to pay any back.

Looks like the reserve FY21 bonus is out as well.

Check myPers

Still?  I guess I'm confused...are you saying the ANG has a bonus for just being a part timer/DSG?  As in, I just do UTAs/AFTPs and I get a bonus?  If we've already had this, then I'm gonna be pretty pissed that I missed out on this.  

2 minutes ago, Guardian said:

No. DSG on orders bonus. This year min orders is one year for 15k.

2 minutes ago, Guardian said:

And i think you have to have specific orders. Like school house IP. Etc.

Ah ok, you had be confused with the "part-time" in there.  My brain doesn't think part time for a guy on a year of orders, but it makes sense now.  There was a rumor a few years ago about a true part time (not on orders) bonus.  Never believed it would happen but you had me thinking I missed the boat on that.  Ya the 15k bonus has been floating around and we have at least one guy on that with alert orders or maybe MPA days we get to train our AD wingmen.  

7 hours ago, SocialD said:

Still?  I guess I'm confused...are you saying the ANG has a bonus for just being a part timer/DSG?  As in, I just do UTAs/AFTPs and I get a bonus?  If we've already had this, then I'm gonna be pretty pissed that I missed out on this.  

This is what AFRC has for TRs.  I just want to know if there is an ADSC, but not AD.

Edit to add that this is only for certain airframes and locations.

Edited by BADFNZ

Current AFRC TR 4 yr bonus taker here.  Received first years 10k bonus in February (for last year).  Can straight min run if i desire.  AT, TP, UTA etc.  No commitment. If i retire, i just lose out on current snd subsequent year bonus.  I find it interesting (well not really) that this years bonus offering went down to 8k

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Heard an interesting pure rumor from leadership. There may be a VSP this fall for FGO types. Reasoning too many FGO’s.  

I doubt there will be a VSP for pilots. Maybe other career fields, but the bonus take rate has been consistently lower than their stated goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, CaptainMorgan said:

I doubt there will be a VSP for pilots. Maybe other career fields, but the bonus take rate has been consistently lower than their stated goal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno. 11Rs have a good shot actually. They are 120% right now and AFPC has no intention of letting them x train.