Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

1 hour ago, brabus said:

The guard has the same bonus. Just putting that out there for anyone who’s AD leadership has told them the AD bonus is a reason to not go guard. 

False!  The Guard has much better and more plentiful bonuses like being able to spend time with your family, being able to purchase a house that you won't move from just as you get comfortable with it, no 365s, etc, etc, etc. The same pay is only the beginning!

But I know what you meant.

• Like 3

Just for some kids that don’t know math:  
1999 bonus and cap were introduced: $25,000, which it’s been in some form or fashion for a while, though it took far too long for big blue to realize that not just fighter pilots are important enough to offer a big bonus to...
2019...it’s now $35,000
Inflation says that 1999 $25k should be >$38k in 2019.  Apparently flyers were more important in 1999 than they are today.  Let that sink in.

Same problem with flight pay except $700 in 1989 should be ~$1800 now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed they put in a change to the fine print.  If you curtail an order/bonus early you'll be penalized for a few years before you can sign another bonus. I can't remember the exact details, but I see what you did there HAF 🤣.

Still no one year big bonus.  

giphy_(9).gif

Edited by SocialD
  • Like 3

So the announcement came out on Tuesday. I got the signed paperwork turned in the same day, because my UPT ADSC expired already and I have another ADSC that is 7.5 years long for just starting a PhD program.  So I was all about signing up for free money.  The email said give DFAS 6-8 weeks, but I had the money deposited on Friday.  They withheld 22% FYSA.

YMMV

• Thanks 1

I think mine got screwed up (big surprise). They withheld just over 33% of mine. 

Correction. They actually did pay me correctly. Somehow they honored my change to TSP allotments even though they hadn't taken effect yet. 

Edited by KWings06j

1 hour ago, WheelsOff said:

There was a post about this year’s bonus on the MAF FB page, but it got deleted. Too many cynical responses/GIFs I think. 

Bummer...it was some good bathroom reading material. 

Sad cause it was only the honest truth being spoken there by the masses. Guess the Bobs didn’t like it. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Odd situation/possible low SA on my part at the time:

As a CSO with an expired CSO ADSC, I was eligible for the ACP that dropped late September/Early Oct of 18.  However, well before that bonus was announced, I was picked up for pilot training.  While processing my PCS orders, MPF/TFSC told me that in order to receive those orders to UPT, I had to sign an ADSC stating that if I completed pilot training, I would owe 10 years.  Well, I went ahead and signed that, and they tacked on a 10 year UPT ADSC effective on the day I signed it, well before I ever left my pre-UPT assignment.

So, months later, when the time came to apply for the bonus, it was of course denied because I had an existing (erroneous) UPT ADSC.  This was 8 months before UPT graduation.  In fact at the time I was too busy getting my shit pushed in in T-6's to bother trying to fix the ADSC issue.  Once I graduated UPT, that 10 year ADSC was updated to reflect my grad date.

I'm missing out on $225k of pre-tax bonus here, so does anyone think I have a chance of getting this resolved in my favor?  Do I open a case with AFPC, Finance, Legal, IG?  Lawyer up?  Or do I just STFU and enjoy my window seat?

As a CSO with an expired CSO ADSC, I was eligible for the ACP that dropped late September/Early Oct of 18.  However, well before that bonus was announced, I was picked up for pilot training.  While processing my PCS orders, MPF/TFSC told me that in order to receive those orders to UPT, I had to sign an ADSC stating that if I completed pilot training, I would owe 10 years.  Well, I went ahead and signed that, and they tacked on a 10 year UPT ADSC effective on the day I signed it, well before I ever left my pre-UPT assignment.
So, months later, when the time came to apply for the bonus, it was of course denied because I had an existing (erroneous) UPT ADSC.  This was 8 months before UPT graduation.  In fact at the time I was too busy getting my shit pushed in in T-6's to bother trying to fix the ADSC issue.  Once I graduated UPT, that 10 year ADSC was updated to reflect my grad date.
I'm missing out on $225k of pre-tax bonus here, so does anyone think I have a chance of getting this resolved in my favor?  Do I open a case with AFPC, Finance, Legal, IG?  Lawyer up?  Or do I just STFU and enjoy my window seat?

For $225k I’d look into it IF you can show the paper trail of their error and your denied bonus.

If you take a CSO bonus though and leave the career field, I’m not sure you keep getting that CSO bonus. Might ask about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

18 hours ago, wazzuPIC said:

I think you’re SOL.

For the money, definitely try.  But you’re asking the AF to back pay you a portion of the bonus you would have taken (theoretically) for time already severed, on a bonus you’re currently ineligible for.  Tough case to make, even if you had gobs of free time.  

22 hours ago, di1630 said:

IF you can show the paper trail of their error and your denied bonus.

10 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

Tough case to make, even if you had gobs of free time.  

Agree on both points, and free time is something I don't exactly have right now.  Also, paper trail is hard to establish when TFSC case messages auto-delete after a certain period of time.  For the casual/inexperienced reader - make sure you screenshot/save every interaction with AFPC.  You are the only one looking out for you.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2020 at 1:09 PM, wazzuPIC said:

As a CSO with an expired CSO ADSC, I was eligible for the ACP that dropped late September/Early Oct of 18.  However, well before that bonus was announced, I was picked up for pilot training.....

So, months later, when the time came to apply for the bonus, it was of course denied because I had an existing (erroneous) UPT ADSC.........

Unfortunately I don’t think you have a case for the cash....

I think the lawyers would say....

when accepting and being assigned to UPT the became an AFSC of 92T0 which is not 12XX and not eligible for the bonus

But for 200K why not push for it.  There may may have been a short window of still being a 12XX...remember they pay in full years

• 3 months later...
If you’re deployed when the bonus hits, is it tax free?
No for commissioned officers. A portion may be tax free (up to the monthly CTZE cap allowed for commissioned officers).

But if your on the combat zone, your TSP cap goes up to $55K, so that's an option to squirrel away some of the bonus money as well.
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 1:09 PM, wazzuPIC said:

I was in the same situation, applied for the Nav bonus after talking to AFPC. I was at the end of my T-38C time in UPT. They said I was eligible so I submitted my paperwork and it got approved. Now I just have to live in fear for the rest of my time in the Air Force... I tried to be as clear as possible to make sure they new my situation and was still told to submit the paperwork. I would definitely make some calls. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
42 minutes ago, LookieRookie said:

Meet the new bonus, it's like the old bonus of 25K, except it says FY21.

I have no idea, but I have the pitchfork and torch market cornered.

That’s what I’m thinking as well...if even that.  Since Corona derailed my getting out plans, I’m looking at a PCS that is agreeable to the family and me.  Since I’ll get the ADSC anyway, toying with taking the 3 year option.  

Just wanted to see if anybody had SA so I make the best possible decision.  Other than the obligatory don’t take the devils money.

• Upvote 2

On 7/10/2020 at 6:48 PM, DuckHunter said:

That’s what I’m thinking as well...if even that.  Since Corona derailed my getting out plans, I’m looking at a PCS that is agreeable to the family and me.  Since I’ll get the ADSC anyway, toying with taking the 3 year option.  

Just wanted to see if anybody had SA so I make the best possible decision.  Other than the obligatory don’t take the devils money.

Some quick Google-Fu:  This article on Federal News Network (not sure on their veracity in reporting, but an interesting speculation nonetheless) seems to predict higher percentage of take rates than historically.  Elsewhere in the aviation industry, talking heads are forecasting doom and gloom for the next few years, El Al is pretty much in an accelerated stall though they’re about to get a ballistic recovery system from New York, Emirates is cutting OVER 9000 jobs without actually admitting that they’re in dire straits (or “up to 9000” if you want to quote it verbatim), and The Motley Fool is claiming that United Airlines isn’t expecting the most recent spike in air travel to continue...  

Personally, I took 4 years under the FY19 AvB, paired with the BRS for concurrent monies and ADSCs.  But this summer, the wife and I are considering tacking on a few more years in the FY20 offering before Big Blue’s money dries up, which would allow me to eventually enroll in the check-of-the-month club.  Family stability and meeting significant financial independence goals are the primary reasons, and the current COVID-driven dip in outside employment in my career field shouldn’t affect the FY25-FY28 hiring peak too much, I hope.

Edited by PAWS