Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

Really the 11B numbers are the only weird ones.  Everyone else that is immediately eligible for the airlines has a take rate in the 30s or 40s.  

And big AF will continue saying the money doesn’t matter and they won’t budge because “it isn’t fair” to pay people that can make more money a compensatory amount.  Give me a break.

You don’t see the family medicine physician complaining that his Air Force bonus is less than the heart surgeon’s.  Make it competitive based on earning potential or lose out.

Edited by brawnie
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/26/2019 at 10:35 PM, TnkrToad said:

- 25% = in-res IDE types, and/or folks with other sweet gigs worth staying in a little longer for (USAFA faculty, C-37s in Hawaii, etc.)

OSA is bleeding talent like crazy too. Only two guys in my Sq are staying and they wanted (and got) school. Then there are fours Lt Col's just waiting to get 20. Otherwise, had one school select say fuck it and is Palace Fronting. 3 other guys (me included) are Palace Chasing. Not gonna have a single active duty AC in the squadron come March...just co pilots and two IPs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

OSA is bleeding talent like crazy too. Only two guys in my Sq are staying and they wanted (and got) school. Then there are fours Lt Col's just waiting to get 20. Otherwise, had one school select say  it and is Palace Fronting. 3 other guys (me included) are Palace Chasing. Not gonna have a single active duty AC in the squadron come March...just co pilots and two IPs.

So....I take it they’re not letting heavy MWS folks go to OSA on their second or third flying assignments now?

The number of hours required for prior MWS folks to upgrade to AC in OSA is minimal (at least it was in the C-21, way back when I flew it); how is it possible to have no ACs? Only way I can figure is if nobody’s getting released to OSA assignments.

If the option of going to OSA for a few years to at least briefly get away from the airlift/tanker grind disappears, retention will get even tougher in the heavy MWS communities.

TT

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

4 hours ago, MechGov said:

Just curious how Tricare has affected the calculus whether to stay in for people you’ve known? Coming into my eligibility year, free medical care to EFMP dependents >> bonus money, but that’s my $0.02.

Tricare for life is my main concern, but it’s not a binary decision. Stay in - you’ve got it

Get out and end up in an AFRES or ANG AGR billet (easy to do these days) - same as being on AD: same pension, same health coverage. 

Another status in AFRES or ANG: tricare at age 60, other coverage (depending on your job) in the meantime. Many technicians on BCBS swear by it. All the part-timers I know love Tricare Reserve Select - it’s like tricare with a small (compared to ACA) monthly premium. 

Bottom line - unless you’re considering a clean cut, separating with zero ties to AFRES or ANG, you’ll likely have that Tricare in one way or another. Educate yourself on all of this. Fear of the unknown is what keeps a lot of fence-sitters on AD. 

Just curious how Tricare has affected the calculus whether to stay in for people you’ve known? Coming into my eligibility year, free medical care to EFMP dependents >> bonus money, but that’s my $0.02.

This is the only reason I’m staying in. My kid has gone through some medical issues (everything is fine now) but I don’t want to worry about in the future.

Any decent employer will have good healthcare.  Plenty of families have special needs kids outside of the .mil and they do just fine.  Something to be said, too, for continuity of care > 3 years.

If Tricare is critical, get an IMA/Cat B job or more and keep TRS in the ARC then stay in the ARC for 28.  You’ll have a good grasp or grown kids by then.

8 hours ago, TnkrToad said:

So....I take it they’re not letting heavy MWS folks go to OSA on their second or third flying assignments now?

The number of hours required for prior MWS folks to upgrade to AC in OSA is minimal (at least it was in the C-21, way back when I flew it); how is it possible to have no ACs? Only way I can figure is if nobody’s getting released to OSA assignments.

If the option of going to OSA for a few years to at least briefly get away from the airlift/tanker grind disappears, retention will get even tougher in the heavy MWS communities.

TT

Noper, there is push to make OSA a bit younger now. Pretty sure they are tired of 3rd assignment punching when their PCS/ADSC ends right around the 2 year time on station mark. Downside, this discriminates against the shorter 1st assignment guys where it's basically impossible to make IP on your first gig. KC10s and C5s have a leg up over C-17/C-130/KC-135 IMO. Less bases = less PCS = upgrade sooner.

89th has an hour requirement...Hickam/Ramstein/Scott doesn't have the dog & pony show associated with the OSA application.

No AC's because of the 2 year track to upgrade. I finished upgrade recently, should Palace Chase in March, dude "behind" me has same arrival date to the unit but will be Palace Front in Dec and isn't gonna upgrade. We are all former IP's or EP's but upgrade is slow. Not sure how the other C-40/C-37 units do it but there is a major slow down with the TFA.

From what I know of the C-21 guys, it's a way different upgrade timeline. Definitely apples to oranges.

Edited by StoleIt

29 minutes ago, jrobe said:

Day #2 of the new FY....waiting on AFPC to show me they care.

whats the bonus plan this year?

I’d expect nothing soon.

Do expect to hear the 40% fixed-wing take rate downplayed and more about how the AF has made significant progress on the pilot shortage which “has leveled off” and that the problem is still one that can be fixed by 2-line PRFs, new developmental categories, a new OPR system, “better leadership” and less AFIs... and also that pilots just want to fly more (read: more TDYs, more deployments, more flag pole on top of your ‘real’ job)... before you see anything about the same bonus as last year and the year before being offered again, which it will be.

Meanwhile, great pilots and officers are being passed over for promotion. At least give them a consolation prize. At a minimum an extra 12 grand a year to stay in on top of the 26k after-tax bonus being offered to the highest tiers now. We’ve got to stop the bleeding AND rebuild.

It’s time to get serious. Now is not the time to do another study, brainstorm, send out surveys, talk about what people deserve or the way things used to be. Just fix it. It’s a new world. This ship is breaking apart around us while we’re enroute to several other global conflicts. More than that, if and when someone makes us bleed the other sharks will smell it and start coming out of the woodwork. Double the bonus and make it tax-free, then let’s get back to business.

Here is how we stop the bleeding:

Another major conflict with country of your choice, economic recession, oil prices $100-150 a barrel again. Airlines trim flight schedules, park airplanes, stop hiring/furlough. Throw in a little Stop Loss for the cherry on top Done... just enough to cause another decade (or more) of disfunction and paranioa to keep pilots around.

Not age 67. Not the fear of "one pilot cockpits". The above and knowing who we are and what we do, this scenerio is not very far-fetched.

Discuss....

51 minutes ago, Gazmo said:

Here is how we stop the bleeding:

Another major conflict with country of your choice, economic recession, oil prices $100-150 a barrel again. Airlines trim flight schedules, park airplanes, stop hiring/furlough. Throw in a little Stop Loss for the cherry on top Done... just enough to cause another decade (or more) of disfunction and paranioa to keep pilots around.

Not age 67. Not the fear of "one pilot cockpits". The above and knowing who we are and what we do, this scenerio is not very far-fetched.

Discuss....

you're not saying anything new, nor far fetched. Those of us who weren't born into the decade of "everyone gets a regional job!" have been saying it since the lost decade. Air Force plays run the clock offense, always has, always will. And will continue to do so, until the next trigger for airline hiring slow down. It's an incredibly cynical play, but historically has always been THE play.

The only difference between the upcoming recession and the 9/11 confluence is the number or mando retirements plus the capacity right sizing the airlines did under post BK contract. That will yield few if no furloughs, as they throttle the demanded capacity with organic retirements and displacements as required. That doesn't help the newly-hired of course, which brings me to the next point.

Sub-10 year airline Reservists flock back to their units, as they always do. Being the plug in your BSE during a period of no new-hires is no picnic, even if you're gaining longevity pay.

At any rate, most of the sub-10 year guys come hide at the squadrons when the airline reminds them of the other side of "livin' da dreeeeam". This fills up the full time positions immediately, troughing pot gets thin, and the angle for active duty separatees to use the ARC as a leverage position temporarily disappears. Rinse and repeat, just like daily wind trends. I've seen this movie before. Caveat Emptor.

My only dog in this fight? Whatever one decides to do, just don't sh!t where you eat. Most do an honest job on that front, but we got a small cohort of boomeranging blue falcons that ruin it for everyone on both sides of the airline/mil continuum. 

As to AD? I don't think it will ever get any better. I treat is as a known quantity, and something ultimately to be tolerated in small and/or non-consecutive quantities. To each their own.

• Like 3

I’m looking to get 6 months of my 5 year ACP ADSC waived to retire. It’s my only ADSC. Anyone have any insight into this? I skimmed the PC thread but didn’t find anything relevant. I’m thinking it shouldn’t be a big deal to repay the unearned portion of the bonus to have the ADSC forgiven but I know the AF has a habit of making these things more difficult than they should be.

I’m looking to get 6 months of my 5 year ACP ADSC waived to retire. It’s my only ADSC. Anyone have any insight into this? I skimmed the PC thread but didn’t find anything relevant. I’m thinking it shouldn’t be a big deal to repay the unearned portion of the bonus to have the ADSC forgiven but I know the AF has a habit of making these things more difficult than they should be.

10 years ago no waiver was required. Apply for retirement, enter your requested date. If approved, expect your last check or two to be zero to recoup the bonus.

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network mobile app

Hmm, that would be great but I suspect it’s no longer the case. Reviewing the AFPC retirement webinar slides led me to believe that any ADSC will prevent retirement eligibility and a waiver is required. I submitted the retirement eligibility review last week. Haven’t gotten the response yet. Will let you know if it says anything different but I’m expecting to see that a waiver is required. Will go from there. Just thought I’d ping the board here for any experience that may help me overcome the buffoonery I’ve come to expect from any AFPC action.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, pcola said:

Hmm, that would be great but I suspect it’s no longer the case. Reviewing the AFPC retirement webinar slides led me to believe that any [ADSC] will prevent retirement eligibility and a waiver is required. I submitted the retirement eligibility review last week.

Let us know what happens!

I had a friend who was twice passed over to O-5 with no continuation offered. He had a bonus (5 years) that took him to 21 years. He was forced to retire and they would not let him stay past 20. This was a few years ago but you should be able to get the 6 month waiver.

Regarding Tricare for life, I’ve heard from more than a few pilot and non-pilot retirees that it was a huge reason for staying in, or in one case, returning to active duty to get healthcare covered for a child with an extremely rare disease.

What are you airline guys paying for health insurance? Based on what I can figure, it’s around $1k/month with a max out of pocket of $6-12k depending on the plan.

Moose: Tricare For Life is a medicare supplement which kicks in when you get Medicare at age 65.

Tricare Prime or Select prior to age 65: it is a benefit but it’s not huge. The premium for health insurance from my employer is $100 per mo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Majestik Møøse said:

What are you airline guys paying for health insurance? Based on what I can figure, it’s around $1k/month with a max out of pocket of $6-12k depending on the plan.

Not 1k/mo for me.  $140 a month premiums.  It’s the deductible and MOOP that get you.  Up to $13k worst case compared to a few hundred with Tricare, IIRC.  A couple bad years would be a serious drain on the savings plan.