Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

1 hour ago, Shazaam said:

Here is a link to the Rand Study the AF is considering, so why did I just sign a 3 year bonus?:

https://www.rand.org/pubs/perspectives/PE309.html

Because when RAND briefed Congress this year they told them that they didn't believe their data and to basically pound sand, then they turned to the guy proposing that the DoD do more surveys and they ate it up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shazaam said:

Shazaam says things.

Golf clap USAF for doing the math on this one. Things to note:

1) The data is based on aviators who entered service from 1990-2000. Those were different times WRT ops tempo and airline hiring was at essentially zero for those folks after completing their commitment. I’d like to see how/if this was addressed in the model. Avoiding cynicism; PMs appreciated from anybody in the know.  

2) The conclusion is limited to end strength with no qualitative comparison of pilots. The study mentions a break even number: training a pilot must not cost more than $5.33M in order to realize savings by using retention initiatives.... what does one MC upgrade cost?

I’m absolutely certain my training has exceeded that, and I’m literally not qualified to do anything.

That to say: more math/data required before we buy the great power competition Air Force based on end strength alone. 

Edited by jice
Words

15 hours ago, MCO said:

So now you can get a second bonus?

I signed a 2 year bonus in 2017. They offered me a second bonus this year. I decided to PCS one more time and signed a 3 year deal. I was planning on being a free agent, but that would be dumb if I don't take take the money.

Edited by Shazaam
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Shazaam said:

I signed a 2 year bonus in 2017. They offered me a second bonus this year. I decided to PCS one more time and signed a 3 year deal. I was planning on being a free agent, but that would be dumb if I don't take take the money.

I feel like stringing people along 2-3 years at a time would be a better strategy than the current lump sum. Right now they are only targeting people who are willing to go all in. If I had the chance to play assignment dice between each bonus I would probably stick around a bit longer. Who knows. I find most people are very hesitant though to sign another 9 year commitment after having already felt battered from the 10 year one they just got out of.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, FLEA said:

I feel like stringing people along 2-3 years at a time would be a better strategy than the current lump sum. Right now they are only targeting people who are willing to go all in. If I had the chance to play assignment dice between each bonus I would probably stick around a bit longer. Who knows. I find most people are very hesitant though to sign another 9 year commitment after having already felt battered from the 10 year one they just got out of.  

Had a young captain ask me about signing a 9 year bonus. I told him I wouldn't sign a 9 year bonus because the needs, wants, and desires of your family may change. You don't want to be trapped.

He probably signed up for 9 more years. Same guy who decided to pay for lap dances by using his GPC to get cash from the gentleman's club ATM. He thought the wife wouldn't find out. She found out because he can never go TDY. He had just gotten married!

Edited by Shazaam
  • Downvote 2

The AF should just lower the bonus commitment to 1-2 years. Then it would essentially be "Pro Pay" without having to call it that, since they are incapable of convincing Congress there's a problem. It would at least help the crew force think leadership is trying. Of course, that assumes  Big AF actually gives a crap about trying to fix the problem, which we all know they don't. They've been studying the problem with little to no actual action for what...5 YEARS now?

At this stage in my career, with eyes wide open about how much Big AF appreciates me, I'm essentially a mercenary. 

I still like flying for the AF though. If they would let that Voluntary Retired Return to Active Duty Program be bonus eligible, I'd sign up for four more years through that.

Edited by Hunter Rose
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunter Rose said:

Big AF actually gives a crap about trying to fix the problem, which we all know they don't. They've been studying the problem with little to no actual action for what...5 YEARS now?

We all know it takes 15 years for the Air Force Indecision Cycle. Look at Light Attack Fighter. If we discuss the problem until it goes away we never have to solve it. 

2 hours ago, Hunter Rose said:

The AF should just lower the bonus commitment to 1-2 years. Then it would essentially be "Pro Pay" without having to call it that, since they are incapable of convincing Congress there's a problem. It would at least help the crew force think leadership is trying. Of course, that assumes  Big AF actually gives a crap about trying to fix the problem, which we all know they don't. They've been studying the problem with little to no actual action for what...5 YEARS now?

At this stage in my career, with eyes wide open about how much Big AF appreciates me, I'm essentially a mercenary. 

I still like flying for the AF though. If they would let that Voluntary Retired Return to Active Duty Program be bonus eligible, I'd sign up for four more years through that.

Didn't they do a one year bonus for a little while recently?

1 hour ago, FLEA said:

We all know it takes 15 years for the Air Force Indecision Cycle. Look at Light Attack Fighter. If we discuss the problem until it goes away we never have to solve it. 

That’s sorta like the telephone on my desk at work. If I wait long enough, it’ll just stop ringing. 

• Like 1

On 6/10/2019 at 7:41 PM, pawnman said:

Didn't they do a one year bonus for a little while recently?

I think that was in 2017. I signed up for a 2 year bonus that year. It felt good almost being a free agent this year.

• Downvote 2

Senate just finished markup of the FY-20 budget. Hopefully some nuggets of info makes it way out what was recommended for bonuses. 

Based on what BGen Short said a few weeks ago when he visited, I would guess no changes. The other services aren’t in favor of any increase at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk