Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

23 hours ago, matmacwc said:

200K a year is about the start for an experienced IP ART and my unit.  It is better cheddar than AGR but its more work.

As one of those ARTs, I love being paid for extra jobs. It's a strange feeling to be compensated monetarily for the additional work I do. Reminds me of when I worked on the farm.

Edited by sqwatch

8 hours ago, IDALPHA said:

Ah yes, the syndrome of “I had to so you should/don’t care if you have to”

Lines again blurred between this thread and “What’s wrong with the AF”

ah yes, the syndrome of discounting the messenger to discredit their ideas

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, IDALPHA said:

Jeeeezus that’s not what I said. I’m not plugged in so someone with access to the numbers will have to do the digging. Your anecdote does not mean you are more likely to get a 365. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DirtyFlightSuit said:

I wonder if the AF is ballsy enough to pay planted propaganda individuals to try and defend their bullshit.  Oh who am I kidding, there are enough PCL Mid - Range individuals in my former squadron that were already drinking that stuff.  And they got year longs ;).  

Where do you suspect these individuals are posting their propaganda?

3 hours ago, torqued said:

I understand the necessity to correct the misconceptions, it's just that the corrections don't change the result. That result being: This is not something a Guard guy should feel compelled to accept.

They don’t change the result for you, they might for another reader.  My corrective comments were for the benefit of others.  I don’t blame any AGR who passes on 130 advising.  I hope none are forced into it.

11 hours ago, IDALPHA said:

Homestar is making a mathematical statement: there are less 365s.  Some of you are reading into his tone words that he is not saying.  

FWIW, I think 365s are crazy, but if they must exist should be filled by volunteers only.  Although the threat of being non-vol’d is mathematically less now than a few years ago, it’s still a real threat and a huge disservice to our personnel.

back to thread topic: the bonus is no where near enough to entice people to stay given what we put up with.   People are and afterthought in our organization and if we want to keep people, we have to fix that aspect of our culture. Since we can’t, because we are broken and stupid, we have to pay people a ridiculously huge amount of money to stay and put up with that shit. Turns out we can’t do that either. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Rumor has it the FY19 Aviation Bonus (AvB) will be released this week. Check out this link for some critical info: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/major/118841-end-year-salary-survey-26.html

Heard summer 19 VML is out as well. Any truth? Makes sense to get them both out early, VML before the ACP.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

4 hours ago, Klepto said:

Rumor has it the FY19 Aviation Bonus (AvB) will be released this week. Check out this link for some critical info: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/major/118841-end-year-salary-survey-26.html

I hate how they wait 3 months into the FY to release stuff.

Start the early bonus sign up again.....(minus the hiccups from last time).

Sounds like the ANG bonus will be released today (or this week).  Shortened the big bonus timeline to 2 years but also now required to be on permanent AGR (ie...no temp AGR or ADOS) to get the big bonus, which will likely hamstring many squadrons.  I also think they dumped the only 1 big bonus per career bs as well.  Until they up the big bonus, allow it for 1 year orders (any order) and allow guys still under their UPT ADSC to get the bonus, it's still a meh for me.  

Edited by SocialD

1 hour ago, JPIG_NAV said:

So I just came across this in the AFMAN65-604 (Air Force's Financial Management Manual):

This is for FY19, mind you

The aviation bonus is first noted here:

7.1.5. 512 Incentive Pay – Officer Totals. This project provides for pay per 37 U.S.C. § 301 and § 351 for these types of duties: 7.1.5.1. Rated officers who qualify for Aviation Incentive Pay (AvIP).

7.1.5.2. Aviation Bonus (AvB). A financial incentive to complement non-monetary initiatives to improve aviation officer retention.                 

7.1.5.2.1. Pilots.

7.1.5.2.2. Navigators.

7.1.5.2.3. Air Battle Managers. 

..........and then under the 512 list of subprojects:

512.13 AvB – Pilot

512.14 AvB – Navigator (Legacy)

512.15 AvB – Air Battle Manager (Legacy)

What do you think legacy means? To me, since those two career fields are the only ones labeled with "legacy," it feels like there wont be a new round of bonuses for ABMs/Navs, and legacy means paying out bonuses from the past? Or, they are maintaining last years bonus terms for those two careers, and altering the pilot's?

Either way, please tell me I am way off here...

My guess is that it has more to do with the pot of money than anything.

Word on the street is 22 Jan now.

New guidance on MyPers open to sign up.
11F:
35k for 3-12 years, choose your length. 100k up front for 7-9 yr, 200k for 10-12 years.

Looks like for legacy dudes if you want to stay longer and renegotiate you’ll keep your current rate of $25k.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

What’s the offering for non-11F bubbas? And are they still offering a contract-expired bonus?

-9-

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Two categories got a bump in tiers which equated to max $ per NDAA and more flexible length options.

Renewal and "late-taker" options are flexing with tier. Lower tier # = more $ and more flexibility.

$0.02...as always this policy is years lagging the trend/chasing the trend and crawling, not even taking baby-steps. It won't be enough, will have to change [i.e. increase in value] again this year (value increases can be options-based like timing front/back/choice or $ qty)

The renegotiate option is a steaming turd. Minimum 3-year extension at your current annual bone-us, rather than the new charts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It'd be worth a lot more if they could get Congress to make the bonus tax-free. As it is, if you take one of the lump sum options you're getting forced into a much higher tax bracket losing an additional 8-11% on most of your bonus plus the % you are used to paying in taxes. Not worth it unless you've got a lot of hope for your investment portfolio.

Also, I don't really understand the tiers. It should be more like 11F/B, 11U, 11H, and everyone else (not necessarily in that order). What's the difference between an 11M, an 11R, and an 11S? Yeah I get it... their respective communities have different manning levels/take-rates, but 11Ss and 11Rs could go fly in place of an 11M pretty easily... and when all of the 11Ms leave, they will. Non-fighter fixed wing dudes should all get the same.

Note to all non-11Ms... cross-train to 11M before you become eligible for the bonus.

The AF literally paid RAND to do the same type of analysis, and their findings resulted in a similar figure.  Yet here we are at half rate lol.

And I agree, toting this thing as $35k (or any figure) is almost insulting... No, it’s really just $26k.

Edited by neontico
  • Upvote 1

What's the difference between an 11M, an 11R, and an 11S? Yeah I get it... their respective communities have different manning levels/take-rates, but 11Ss and 11Rs could go fly in place of an 11M pretty easily... and when all of the 11Ms leave, they will.

Who will be your formation leads and MCs for large package airdrop (C-17/C-130)? Not really something the 11S or 11R communities really do, and not something you could soon people up quickly to do.

Even if they could fill in for 11Ms, who will backfill 11R/11S?

Also, AMC has been supplying lots of extra bodies for rated staff billets and the white jet bills-who will fill those if the 11Ms punch? When I left T-6 nation, my sq had more C-17 pilots than FAIPs... Not like any other community has an excess capacity like AMC had, but now AMC bleeding out as guys take their international widebody aircraft experience out to the civilian market.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, jazzdude said:

Even if they could fill in for 11Ms, who will backfill 11R/11S?

Also, AMC has been supplying lots of extra bodies for rated staff billets and the white jet bills-who will fill those if the 11Ms punch?

That’s kind of my point. 11Ms, 11Ss, and 11Rs are cut from the same cloth.

But I see what you’re saying about retraining and the business case for focusing on 11Ms.

9 hours ago, Klepto said:

It'd be worth a lot more if they could get Congress to make the bonus tax-free. As it is, if you take one of the lump sum options you're getting forced into a much higher tax bracket losing an additional 8-11% on most of your bonus plus the % you are used to paying in taxes. Not worth it unless you've got a lot of hope for your investment portfolio.

Not to get sidetracked, but tax brackets don’t work that way.  You only pay the higher rate on the dollars that exceed the tier values - taking the bonus will have absolutely no effect on the rest of your “normal” pay/“the % you are used to paying.”  It’s impossible to lose money by bringing in more income.

1 hour ago, brawnie said:

It’s impossible to lose money by bringing in more income.

Completely false.  Taxes are much more nuanced than that blanket statement.  For example, many credits and deductions phase out at AGI and MAGI thresholds.  I qualified for the Saver's Credit most of my AD years.  Not so much anymore.

Edited by nunya
  • Upvote 1