Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

Just finishing up ACSC-DL, and it's been somewhat interesting. Probably would be more interesting if I had more time to delve deeper into the material. But it does make me scratch my head and wonder why we do the things the way we do, especially when what is taught in PME seems to be 180 out from what is practiced.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

You guys attribute too much virtue to our senior leadership. Occam's razor: when you view the world from the prism of economic self interest, you realize that perpetual war and its rent seeking is not the bug, it's the feature. As such, there is no failure, only profit. Sure, we the pawns eat the opportunity cost. People are getting paid off our idealism, check that, RAIDING the cash registers on the backs of that naivete, and  you guys are quoting Sun Tzu? Lol. 

Edited by hindsight2020
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hindsight2020 said:

You guys attribute too much virtue to our senior leadership. Occam's razor: when you view the world from the prism of economic self interest, you realize that perpetual war and its rent seeking is not the bug, it's the feature. As such, there is no failure, only profit. Sure, we the pawns eat the opportunity cost. People are getting paid off our idealism, check that, RAIDING the cash registers on the backs of that naivete, and  you guys are quoting Sun Tzu? Lol. 

10 hours ago, tac airlifter said:

Sun Tzu said there is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.  

Best part about IDE/SDE is learning from the curriculum that we are in fact, doing this wrong.

The great mystery to me is how we teach people the right thing yet so many graduate and immediately do the wrong thing.   All of the generals responsible for our failures have read that quote. Yet here we are. 

To be fair, its not the guys with stars that actually approve us to go to war, or to keep us in said warfare.

That said, it is up to those same dudes to accurately advise the folks that do make the decisions to send us to war. That part is what appears to have been forgotten.

• Like 2

To be fair, its not the guys with stars that actually approve us to go to war, or to keep us in said warfare.
That said, it is up to those same dudes to accurately advise the folks that do make the decisions to send us to war. That part is what appears to have been forgotten.

Nah, we're the greatest military to have ever existed. There's nothing we can't do.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

You want all deployed aide-de-camp positions to go away? When was the last time you saw one of those filled with a non-vol. I get it. Rage against the machine. 

I got non-vol’d to a 6 month exec gig for a GO ~45 days after a PCS. Turns out that’s as soon as they can make you deploy post PCS. I had 2.5 weeks’ notice.

So no, not an aide job but close.

I separate this summer.
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

16 hours ago, Warrior said:

I got non-vol’d to a 6 month exec gig for a GO ~45 days after a PCS. Turns out that’s as soon as they can make you deploy post PCS. I had 2.5 weeks’ notice.

So no, not an aide job but close.

I separate this summer.

Pussy.

But seriously...thanks for your service and good luck in your future endeavors!

Edited by ThreeHoler
Mobile app censors me.
  • Like 2
  • Downvote 1

On 12/24/2018 at 3:23 PM, Homestar said:

So is the desire to not do 179s?  Or 365s?  I'm confused.

What do you want?  To never deploy again?  

Dude, stop....you are being donnish

Of-course no one wants to deploy.  Do you want too?  The point is B.S deployed jobs need to go. The conversion of some of the 365s to 179s is deceitful.

....back to bonus talk

2 hours ago, jrobe said:

Dude, stop....you are being donnish

Of-course no one wants to deploy.  Do you want too?  The point is B.S deployed jobs need to go. The conversion of some of the 365s to 179s is deceitful.

....back to bonus talk

My point is some of you sound like a bunch millennial idiots. The number of deployed billets has dropped in unison with the drawdown of forces in the region. People listing 365s as the main reason they’re getting out have a much, much smaller chance of deploying on a 365 than they did 5 years ago. You’re more likely to get your short tour by deploying with your airlift unit, or sitting at the Deid with your tanker than from a non-vol 365. 

Ops tempo issues? Fair. You wanted fewer 365? Fair. But quit using 365s as an issue. It simply isn’t the issue you make it out to be. 

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

There are a lot of 179 non-flying jobs that are bullshit and useless - we've all seen jobs that can take an A1C 15 min per week to accomplish, but the AF deploys two Capts to fill the position for 179.   Almost worse is the ineptitude of how they fill certain positions, e.g. deploying an F-35 guy to BAF to do the SE job that could be done by a SE guy who flies any of the 5+ airframes that fly out of there on a regular basis (same example, but OSS/DO...seen both).  They're so retarded they made a flying deployed job into a non-flying deployed job.  Shit like that is what pisses people off and needs to be stopped.  365s aside, bullshit like this pushes people to make the sensible decision to skip bonuses and/or punch at first opportunity.

Deploy us to do our primary job and contribute to the war in a meaningful way, but don't lie to our face and tell us powerpointing or filling out TPS reports once a week is a worthwhile contribution in anyone's book outside of the hardcore koolaid drinkers who have long since lost any ability to rationally think.

Edited by brabus
  • Upvote 3

On 12/24/2018 at 4:20 PM, Homestar said:

You want all deployed aide-de-camp positions to go away? When was the last time you saw one of those filled with a non-vol. I get it. Rage against the machine. 

Only issue I have with this is more people volunteering for worthless deployments means less people to full other deployments.  All worthless deployments must end.  Mine was my deciding factor in dropping separation the second I RTB'd.

• Upvote 1

My point is some of you sound like a bunch millennial idiots. The number of deployed billets has dropped in unison with the drawdown of forces in the region. People listing 365s as the main reason they’re getting out have a much, much smaller chance of deploying on a 365 than they did 5 years ago. You’re more likely to get your short tour by deploying with your airlift unit, or sitting at the Deid with your tanker than from a non-vol 365. 
Ops tempo issues? Fair. You wanted fewer 365? Fair. But quit using 365s as an issue. It simply isn’t the issue you make it out to be. 

Any chance of a 365 is too much of a chance. As I’ve said before, dudes are tired and asking us to continue the same mindless strategy for another 17 years with no end in sight is why we are leaving. Pointless Air Advisor deployments where you’re only needed at work 3 days per week, the above non-flying SE gigs, then flying deployments with broken airplanes and not much flying. I’d rather be at home watching my kids grow up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Homestar said:

Dang, it must be a burden to be such a omniscient graybeard savant.

I understand now you know better even though people are getting out and citing 365s as one of the reasons.   If you dumb down the argument to the millennial idiot level....which I know is hard....I’m sure they will stay in and better yet...return to active duty ASAP.

Come to think I’ve never had this 365 discussion with other fellow FGOs.  My fault for not doing prior research.

• Upvote 1

You must not be up to date on how short tour credit works in modern times.

If the threat of 365s is why the take rate is so low, then the take rate would have been just as low (if not lower) 6-9 years ago when there were much more 365s.  It's a perfect storm right now: Economy is doing well, airlines are hiring at higher rates than seen in the last 15+ years, the wars have not gone down to pre-9-11 rates, more queep, lack of faith in senior leadership, and on and on.  This arguing about 365s wrt to the bonus/getting out is silly...all non-vol 365 requirements could go away (most have) and the vast majority of  guys who are getting out would still get out.  

18 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

If that’s the case, run. 300 days in 18 months, no thanks.

Plenty of tanker pilots got short tour credit this way at the Deid.

18 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

You must not be up to date on how short tour credit works in modern times.

Oh really?  Enlighten me.

18 hours ago, jrobe said:

Dang, it must be a burden to be such a omniscient graybeard savant.

I understand now you know better even though people are getting out and citing 365s as one of the reasons.   If you dumb down the argument to the millennial idiot level....which I know is hard....I’m sure they will stay in and better yet...return to active duty ASAP.

Come to think I’ve never had this 365 discussion with other fellow FGOs.  My fault for not doing prior research.

I'm not really even sure what you're trying to say here.  Lots of people won't swim in the ocean because of the risk of sharks -- it's irrational.  People citing 365s as the reason they're getting out just aren't being rational, just like people who have a fear of flying because sometimes planes crash.  They're getting out because they're sick of leadership, low pay, the hollow force...or the ops tempo...., and the airlines are hiring.  But they're much less likely to be tasked with a 365 now than they were 5-6 years ago when they were in their first assignment.  So, that just seems like an irrational fear to me.  

39 minutes ago, HeloDude said:

If the threat of 365s is why the take rate is so low, then the take rate would have been just as low (if not lower) 6-9 years ago when there were much more 365s.  It's a perfect storm right now: Economy is doing well, airlines are hiring at higher rates than seen in the last 15+ years, the wars have not gone down to pre-9-11 rates, more queep, lack of faith in senior leadership, and on and on.  This arguing about 365s wrt to the bonus/getting out is silly...all non-vol 365 requirements could go away (most have) and the vast majority of  guys who are getting out would still get out.  

Now, yes.  Because all faith has been lost long ago.  Their chance to make a "pivot" was lost years ago.  Now we are just bitter they ignored an easy fix long ago and have to deal with the stress of jumping ship.  I couldn't be happier with how my separation / airline employment timing worked for me but it was far from a joyful event setting myself up for it. 

1 minute ago, Homestar said:

Plenty of tanker pilots got short tour credit this way at the Deid.

Oh really?  Enlighten me.

I'm not really even sure what you're trying to say here.  Lots of people won't swim in the ocean because of the risk of sharks -- it's irrational.  People citing 365s as the reason they're getting out just aren't being rational, just like people who have a fear of flying because sometimes planes crash.  They're getting out because they're sick of leadership, low pay, the hollow force...or the ops tempo...., and the airlines are hiring.  But they're much less likely to be tasked with a 365 now than they were 5-6 years ago when they were in their first assignment.  So, that just seems like an irrational fear to me.  

Side note, 5 of my squadron mates a few year groups ahead of me have all done 365's so I don't get your magical Unicorn bullshit.  The threat is real, and high.  So you can suck that rational.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2