Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

1 hour ago, IDALPHA said:

Pretty sure majority of late rate pilots will continue to find other avenues to retirement instead of staying AD.

Yup, TONS of opportunities out there if you're willing to travel or leave your airframe.  Our OG seems to send out emails monthly with opportunities.  The really scary ones are the ones asking not just for IPs, but simply Flight leads to help AD squadrons.  The Guard has some pretty awesome hidden gems, one I was willing to give up flying for 2-3 years to do...before I got hired at the airlines.  

Edited by SocialD

Maybe these abysmal take rates will actually get HAF to take an actual look at compensation, like the rumors of Professional Pay I have heard at MAJCOM.

Two years of saying "it's not about the money" and yet all the Aircrew Retention Crisis Task Force's efforts in quality of life/deployments/additional duties have done absolutely nothing to slow the loss of pilots.  We'll have the same approximately 150 pilot net loss for the year.

Everyone I know who goes to the airlines mentions two things: tons of money and free time.  So to act like money plays no role and completely ignore it has been idiotic by HAF.  

Edited by Hunter Rose
  • Upvote 3

The people that said “it’s not about the money” are the ones walking out the door to airline jobs. It’s easy to make such an assertion when you know you are financially set. 

Additionally, if the airlines were simply offering a better lifestyle, but for lower pay, I can guarantee you wouldn’t see this many people walking out the door. 

Final note: don’t expect anything to get better. The only way we will see drastic change is if the USAF literally breaks. 

I need a GD drink.

• Like 2

The pilots need to stop saying that it's not about the money because money is part of it.  Quality of life is everything and money is a significant part of QOL.  So are flying more, shorter deployments, less queep, etc.  No one is leaving the AF at 12 years with the plan to fly for the regionals for the rest of their career, so money is absolutely a significant part.

Hard to get mad at HAF for believing what pilots are telling them.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 10/3/2018 at 12:49 PM, SocialD said:

Yup, TONS of opportunities out there if you're willing to travel or leave your airframe.  Our OG seems to send out emails monthly with opportunities.  The really scary ones are the ones asking not just for IPs, but simply Flight leads to help AD squadrons.  The Guard has some pretty awesome hidden gems, one I was willing to give up flying for 2-3 years to do...before I got hired at the airlines.  

Any of these opportunities giving up title 10 orders to get a guy to an AD retirement?

TONS of AGR opportunities that'll get you to an AD retirement.  It can vary widely at the unit level, but if you're willing to do staff, etc. it's about a 99% guarantee you can have AGR orders for as long as you can avoid blowing your brains out.  I know the staff stuff doesn't interest many guys with 6-9 yrs remaining until 20, but for a guy who's at 5 or less and wants to bail from AD, they'd be a great way to finish out your 20 and not be at the whim of the AD AF for another 1.5-2 assignments (and avoid the 365).

• Like 1

Brabus and others, where can one find out about these opportunities? I find out about them through local PR emails. I don’t know how one outside the unit would find out about AGR openings in guard or reserve.

https://www.ang.af.mil/Careers/ANG-Title-10-Stat-Tour/

There are a couple of options at that website. ADOS, MPA, as well as T10

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app.

2 hours ago, brabus said:

TONS of AGR opportunities that'll get you to an AD retirement.  It can vary widely at the unit level, but if you're willing to do staff, etc. it's about a 99% guarantee you can have AGR orders for as long as you can avoid blowing your brains out.  I know the staff stuff doesn't interest many guys with 6-9 yrs remaining until 20, but for a guy who's at 5 or less and wants to bail from AD, they'd be a great way to finish out your 20 and not be at the whim of the AD AF for another 1.5-2 assignments (and avoid the 365).

Most dudes want to make O-5 in these positions, and O-5 AGRs are slim pickings. O-4 no problem; I dunno why people act all indignant about it considering the retirement delta is ballwash, but I digress.

Staff? Sure, that's precisely what the AF is short on. Absolutely open road on that one. Nobody does that shit for 8 years though. Again, not gonna help the 12 year guy. 

Most AFRC opportunities on that end are in DC, and that's a paycut due to the cost of living. So it's not all without opportunity costs. The folks that are close to the ring in my organization are opting for the regular smattering of CENTCOM bullshit-standard deployments, in order to get to the check o the month. These are of course airline types who are otherwise tapped out on USERRA and need the USERRA exempt tours to get them there. Regular AGRs, or title 10 MPA beyond 30 days (except school tours) are not USERRA exempt and thus not really available to these types, unless the airline approves the personal leave of absence.

Generally speaking, if you're getting out at 12 you have a decision to make. Career AGR or go airlines. But you generally can't reach it from 12 by piece-mealing it.

1st world problems for sure, compared to 2004.

2 hours ago, hindsight2020 said:

Most dudes want to make O-5 in these positions, and O-5 AGRs are slim pickings. O-4 no problem; I dunno why people act all indignant about it considering the retirement delta is ballwash, but I digress.

Staff? Sure, that's precisely what the AF is short on. Absolutely open road on that one. Nobody does that shit for 8 years though. Again, not gonna help the 12 year guy. 

Most AFRC opportunities on that end are in DC, and that's a paycut due to the cost of living. So it's not all without opportunity costs. The folks that are close to the ring in my organization are opting for the regular smattering of CENTCOM bullshit-standard deployments, in order to get to the check o the month. These are of course airline types who are otherwise tapped out on USERRA and need the USERRA exempt tours to get them there. Regular AGRs, or title 10 MPA beyond 30 days (except school tours) are not USERRA exempt and thus not really available to these types, unless the airline approves the personal leave of absence.

Generally speaking, if you're getting out at 12 you have a decision to make. Career AGR or go airlines. But you generally can't reach it from 12 by piece-mealing it.

Yeah I know the staff gigs don't interest those getting out at 12...that's why I said that.  I know several dudes who are O-5/O-6/COE for 1 Star on various staffs, several of whom are airline guys.  As I previously stated, that avenue is reasonable for a guy who's at 15 or more years AD and wants to punch to avoid the AD bullshit (i.e. 365), get a line number earlier, then eventually take mil leave and finish up 20 for the AD retirement.  The catch of course is you have to endure staff work and as you said, cost of living is not awesome in DC.

For the punch at 11-12 year types, I don't think you have to do career AGR to 20, then go airline.  You absolutely could get to 20 with a few years of USERRA exempt orders on top of your 5 normal years.  Things like changing new aircraft, deployments and certain schools are exempt.  You can also delay your airline hiring until you're at about 14 years of AD time, then you just burn your 5 years and get to 20 (assuming ~6-12 mo additional time in there for USERRA-exempt deployments over that time period).  For example, take 3 years of AGR orders upon AD exit, then go airline for a few years, then come back for 5 years of AGR orders to finish out 20.  That may have been a complete pipe dream several years ago, but its becoming more and more realistic nowadays.

6 hours ago, hindsight2020 said:

You forgot to mention there are GS13 step 6 starting with a bonus out there, if you have the quals. There are other ways to get retirement, or even 2 retirements

Maybe this is better fit for the Palace Chase thread but since we are talking retirement differences at the moment, I heard a nasty rumor recently that if you get out and go guard, you need to go VFR direct, do not pass go, do not collect $200, if you want to stay in the high-3 retirement system. Any break in service will inadvertently volunteer you to BRS since you are considered a "new hire" again. Anyone tracking this, or know any truth to it? 

7 hours ago, Sprkt69 said:

You forgot to mention there are GS13 step 6 starting with a bonus out there, if you have the quals. There are other ways to get retirement, or even 2 retirements

Not worth it. If that's all thats available at the unit a guy wants, then I'd take it initially to get in the door, but I wouldn't plan on that for the long term/retirement purposes.

1. The GS system is filled with bullshit of the worst kind - a perfect example of govt bureaucracy and agonizing idiocy. 

2. Who wants to work in the AF until they're 55 to get a retirement that you won't get paid until 60 (or maybe slightly earlier if you run it down with deployments, etc.) To really have a shot at two retirements, you're going to have to buy back your AD time (yeah I didn't want that $15K in my savings account anyways, can I please give it to the govt!)  

3. Airlines aside and only comparing AD to FERS retirement, you have to live until around 80 at min before the FERS retirement starts netting you more money than an AD retirement in your early to mid 40s. And personally once I'm 80, I don't really give a shit about that paycheck...I would rather have been 42-45, start getting that check and living life/having experiences that I can look back at when I'm 80.

Bottom line, the GS thing works out for that guy who joined in 1990 as a permanent GS and is still slogging along. That guy's life choice is great for him, but I think the majority of people are not looking for that lifestyle, especially for marginal pay and a very late retirement (compared to AD). Bring in the airline pay, and its laughable.

18 minutes ago, FLEA said:

Maybe this is better fit for the Palace Chase thread but since we are talking retirement differences at the moment, I heard a nasty rumor recently that if you get out and go guard, you need to go VFR direct, do not pass go, do not collect $200, if you want to stay in the high-3 retirement system. Any break in service will inadvertently volunteer you to BRS since you are considered a "new hire" again. Anyone tracking this, or know any truth to it? 

I don't remember the details, but a break in service does have consequences, and you might be right about the BRS thing.  Bottom line, do not have a BIS if you're going to punch to the ARC.

Edited by brabus

https://militarypay.defense.gov/Portals/3/Documents/Blended Retirement/Combined BRS Policy Document.pdf?ver=2018-09-19-094018-610

Your DIEMS (date of initial entry of military service) determines which plan you are in.  

1 hour ago, FLEA said:

• Upvote 1

How do you avoid a break in service? Don’t you need your DD-214 to inprocess at your guard unit and I’ve heard that MPF has taken weeks after separation to get them completed and sent to people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, brabus said:

Not worth it. If that's all thats available at the unit a guy wants, then I'd take it initially to get in the door, but I wouldn't plan on that for the long term/retirement purposes.

1. The GS system is filled with bullshit of the worst kind - a perfect example of govt bureaucracy and agonizing idiocy. 

2. Who wants to work in the AF until they're 55 to get a retirement that you won't get paid until 60 (or maybe slightly earlier if you run it down with deployments, etc.) To really have a shot at two retirements, you're going to have to buy back your AD time (yeah I didn't want that $15K in my savings account anyways, can I please give it to the govt!)  

3. Airlines aside and only comparing AD to FERS retirement, you have to live until around 80 at min before the FERS retirement starts netting you more money than an AD retirement in your early to mid 40s. And personally once I'm 80, I don't really give a shit about that paycheck...I would rather have been 42-45, start getting that check and living life/having experiences that I can look back at when I'm 80.

Bottom line, the GS thing works out for that guy who joined in 1990 as a permanent GS and is still slogging along. That guy's life choice is great for him, but I think the majority of people are not looking for that lifestyle, especially for marginal pay and a very late retirement (compared to AD). Bring in the airline pay, and its laughable.

I don't remember the details, but a break in service does have consequences, and you might be right about the BRS thing.  Bottom line, do not have a BIS if you're going to punch to the ARC.

1.  The GS is filled with BS but it's BS that you deal with on the clock. The only time I worked past my contacted work deal to deal with the BS I logged comp. By the way, I had more leave then I could use as a GS.

2.  Buying back is a no brainier if you plan to stay in the GS system. That $15k it would have cost you is worth about $12k a year so you break even after 1 year of retirement. My dual retirement if I hang on that long will pay me about $80k a year.

3. Valid but I'm sure your wife will appreciate that extra money at 80 when you can no longer wipe your own ass but can easily afford a high school drop out to do it for you. Of course if you go airlines after AD you could afford a past her prime swedish bikini model.

4. I took a pay cut to go AGR. Assuming the tech bonus stays around, the pay is pretty good. Take the bonus away and it's not worth it.

For someone that doesn't want to go airlines, the tech world really isn't a bad option.

Reasonable points, but I think the most honest answer is it depends vastly on the state (guard) and the wing (guard or res). Some states are handing out step 7 with a bonus like free candy, other states/wings will start you at step 1 no bonus regardless of your quals.  Our HRO is even denying step increases to weapons officers and OGV, because "what do they do that deserves a step increase? Denied!" I've been in a squadron with a reserve presence where I'd say quite possibly some of the most important/influential Maj/Lt Col fighter pilots work and they were making less money as ARTs than I did as a new Capt in 2012...I shit you not.  So while there may be specific "decent" deals out there in the GS system, there are probably far more shitty deals. I doubt this will change until wings and HROs get their craniums out of their asses.

The big "IF" to always consider too is will an individual honestly be willing to do this job until 55? I thought it sounded awesome when I was a Capt, but it took only a few months of working around a couple of those guys to realize there's no fucking way I was going to do that...I didn't know if I would eventually decide to go airlines, work for LM, or any other host of non-mil related jobs, but I knew that guy was not who I wanted to be (and not because they're bad dudes).  To each their own, but this a significant piece of the puzzle that every person has to do some serious thinking about.

3 hours ago, Yoda said:

https://militarypay.defense.gov/Portals/3/Documents/Blended Retirement/Combined BRS Policy Document.pdf?ver=2018-09-19-094018-610

Your DIEMS (date of initial entry of military service) determines which plan you are in.  

Unless you read the fine, Gov't accountant, print!

"Members who have a DIEMS of December 31, 2017 or earlier are generally NOT subject to the automatic enrollment and reenrollment provisions of Public Law 114-92, the National Defense Authorization Act of 2016 even if they elect (opt in) to be covered by BRS.

However, when an opt-in member separates and then reenters service, that member will be automatically enrolled."

There goes a favorable COA, poof gone....

Edited by Swizzle
Emphasis

9 minutes ago, Swizzle said:

However, when an opt-in member separates and then reenters service, that member will be automatically enrolled."

There goes a favorable COA, poof gone....

I'm reading it as an "opt-in" member being one that has opted in previously, separated, then automatically enrolled when they return.

2 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I'm reading it as an "opt-in" member being one that has opted in previously, separated, then automatically enrolled when they return.

I'll read it that way to, but feel it'll soon change to favor Uncle Sugar. 

Side note: wonder if they could force in someone whose DIEMS wasn't initially eligible to enroll in the first place who had a break in service!? Can a DIEMS be reset?