Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

Saw my modest bump first paycheck. ANG dude. I have to admit, with all the (non) support agencies we rightfully bitch about, our finance shop isn’t one of them. They’ve generally been spot-on and I’ve heard very few peeps have pay issues. Now if only some of them would cross-train to Comm...

Month and a half after implementation and still getting the old rate at my Guard base.  Anyone else’s finance still unable to un this situation?
And they wonder why no one wants to stick around. 

No flight pay bump yet at my Reserve base. Finance told another pilot in my unit “It could take up to a year...the pay tables from AFRC aren’t correct”

Not really sure why I expect anything other than gross incompetence from support agencies.

Imagine if I flew an ILS (a routine task) like a finance guy files a voucher. Sorry, the system is down. Sorry, we went to lunch. Sorry, we’re closed for training. Sorry, you didn’t sign this on the correct date. Sorry, we lost the voucher. Sorry, you need to show me in the AFI where it says I have to do my job. More time is expended creating any/every excuse NOT to do a primary job than actually performing the smallest task.

It’s OK though. Because they can never be fired.

16 hours ago, ViperStud said:

Saw my modest bump first paycheck. ANG dude. I have to admit, with all the (non) support agencies we rightfully bitch about, our finance shop isn’t one of them. They’ve generally been spot-on and I’ve heard very few peeps have pay issues. Now if only some of them would cross-train to Comm...

Still no pay bump for this ANG guy.  

That's great, a good finance is worth their weight in gold!  I wish I could say the same about our finance.  I just wish I could go back to the days of paper vouchers, paper 105s, etc...   

• Like 1

No pay bump here either. My finance office (which is great) filed a ticket with DFAS which was in the system for about 3 weeks before DFAS closed the ticket and said "it is a known problem and we will fix the issue in one big batch." My finance office apparently does not have the authority to fix it. Unbelievable.

Edited by BONE WSO

No pay bump here either. My finance office (which is great) filed a ticket with DFAS which was in the system for about 3 weeks before DFAS closed the ticket and said "it is a known problem and we will fix the issue in one big batch." My finance office apparently does not have the authority to fix it. Unbelievable.

Pretty sure this is the extent of what our finance office said too.

19 hours ago, BONE WSO said:

Why would anyone expect FINANCE to be able to fix a PAY issue...?

11 hours ago, sqwatch said:

I have an 8-0 undefeated record in the octagon of reg-fu, and 7 of those one round KO matches were with finance, yet they keep insisting on a rematch

I laughed wayyyy harder than I should have at this.  Thank you for this...

Different bonus, but couldn't find a better place to put this.

The AF released the details on the continuation pay portion of the BRS today. Hope you weren't expecting much - it's 2.5x a month's base pay in exchange for an additional 4 year ADSC. Somehow I doubt that's going to change the calculus for dudes at the 12 year point.

http://www.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1381062/air-force-announces-continuation-pay-rates/

That's about $223k for a O-4. Everything I have found shows that it is subject to CZTE so if you could work a dip in the AOR the month following your 12 year point you could take the lump sum and it could be advantageous.

Edit: Nevermind. It's 2.5 times a single months pay.

Edited by Breckey

Since this payment is at the discretion of the secretary, you’d think they’d at least put some thought into it to target stressed career fields. Pilots, enlisted aviators, senior operators, RPA pilots, and maintainers should be at a much higher multiplier than SSgt Snuffy finance or services guy.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, MooseAg03 said:

Since this payment is at the discretion of the secretary, you’d think they’d at least put some thought into it to target stressed career fields. Pilots, enlisted aviators, senior operators, RPA pilots, and maintainers should be at a much higher multiplier than SSgt Snuffy finance or services guy.

You’d think that. But we already give our pilots a bonus that they should be happy with this is just an extra added bonus for you. At the current O-4 rate this gives you pre tax 18k. Hell for that amount your better off taking the pilot bonus where you’d make more anyway for the same time just about with all the same issues. But then again the new BRS is a joke anyway. Come on best case 5% marching for you? While it’s ok for the guys who are going to bail it’s a joke. Some of the biggest competitors for us offer 10-20% auto contribution for you into a 401k. Swing and a miss again. 

While I’m sure this is giving leadership too much credit, one opinion I heard today was that the continuation pay multiplier was intentionally set low in order to dissuade senior Capts and Majs from opting into the BRS, thereby “encouraging” them to stay to 20 instead.

But they’re probably just being cheap bastards.

Keep in mind that most civilian employers don't offer a pension anymore either. So 10% auto-contribution takes place of that. So 5% plus some kind of pension isn't terrible compared to most retirement plans.

No idea about the airlines though. They probably give you a billion dollars and a private island.

• Upvote 1

Looks like they went the absolute cheapest way possible with this.  According to the law, the services could offer CP anytime between 8-12 YOS, and it would be 2.5-13x base pay.  It also said the services could use it to incentivize certain stressed career fields.

And of course our innovative leaders, in the midst of a rentention crisis, elected to offer the minimum 2.5x multiplier at the longest 12 YOS time, for every single career field in the AF.

I get not offering it at 8 YOS for pilots, since it would run concurrently and add only a few months to your ADSC.  However, $18k is not going to make a difference at all in a pilot’s decision making.  It would have wise to offer pilots closer to 13x at the 12 YOS mark. 

Another swing and a miss from management.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, flyusaf83 said:

Looks like they went the absolute cheapest way possible with this.  According to the law, the services could offer CP anytime between 8-12 YOS, and it would be 2.5-13x base pay.  It also said the services could use it to incentivize certain stressed career fields.

And of course our innovative leaders, in the midst of a rentention crisis, elected to offer the minimum 2.5x multiplier at the longest 12 YOS time, for every single career field in the AF.

I get not offering it at 8 YOS for pilots, since it would run concurrently and add only a few months to your ADSC.  However, $18k is not going to make a difference at all in a pilot’s decision making.  It would have wise to offer pilots closer to 13x at the 12 YOS mark. 

Another swing and a miss from management.

But look who is managing this. The same person who as seen us through all the other debacles so it’s no surprise it’s so messed up. 

Edited by cragspider
  • Upvote 1

I’m shocked they released any info about the retention payment prior to the opt in cutoff date. I figured they would just make career minded folks gamble.

I have no reason to be an optimist...but I’m guessing that is the “standard” rate and the AF messaging got screwed up yet again and they didn’t release targeted values yet.

If they’re only going the 2.5x route they’re in for a world of hurt.

So, how long do you think it will be before some of the regionals are hurting so bad for talent that they offer "buy-out" options to bonus takers?

There’s an ADSC with the bonus. I don’t think a buy-out is an option unless they’re paying you to fail consecutive PT tests.