Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

Worse.  ARC guys generally have the ability to exit much faster and with a much less uncertain future.  A guy already holding a purple seniority number, but on mil leave to work at JFHQ after a command tour, is not nervous about feeding his family "on the outside."
I guess they'll learn that lesson the hard way. 
This!  Although, we pretty much have zero dudes staying past 20.  The few that do are either leadership or only have 20 due to their enlisted time...I would look for the latter to bail at first sign of the above happening.  
I know a guard tanker WIC grad who got tapped for a 180, involuntary mob and a Sq/CC fresh out of commander school who got tapped for OG/CV in CENTCOM. The WIC guy put in for retirement and the Sq/CC got creative and was able to get out of it, but it's definitely getting to that point...

15 hours ago, Smokin said:

Interesting point to ponder, is a command tour something you can really non-vol someone into?

This is cyber now.  Everyone is all-in for the CC pool, no one can opt out if they have retainability.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2017 at 11:12 PM, Chuck17 said:

Depends on your 11/12X categorization... in a nutshell for old guys who took (and it expired) or didn't take the bonus, they'll give you cash (up to 35K a year) to stay a min of a year, out to 22 - or max 24 years of service... again, all depends on what you flew, so need to check the MyPers to see where you fit.

Chuck

The PDSM says 22-24 YAS for 2nd bonus takers. 

Acronyms on SURFs is not my strength, does YAS = Years Aviation Service or Years Active Service?  

If aviation service that means 22 years of flying min calculated from when you started UPT so you'd have to serve beyond just 22 years. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2017 at 8:28 AM, Smokin said:

Interesting point to ponder, is a command tour something you can really non-vol someone into?  If said commander does literally nothing as a commander other than sleep, eat, and workout, will he get sent home for 'lack of confidence'?  With squadron commanders getting fired right and left over the past five years, seems like it would be easy to turn a 6 month tour into a 6 week trip.  And since he's guard, if he did get sent home, could big blue really do anything about it if his TAG had his back?

Ya I'm not sure your TAG would have your back if you were a total shit bag, especially if your TAG is Army.  On top of that I would think the TAG would have to sign off on such a non-vol...checking into that. 

We habe people on base being activated for 6 months all the time. They're just not pilots...medical, TMO, Comm, etc...  They're just usually volunteers because many of these guys want orders and don't really go tdy or deploy much.  

15 hours ago, Gazmo said:

I know a guard tanker WIC grad who got tapped for a 180, involuntary mob and a Sq/CC fresh out of commander school who got tapped for OG/CV in CENTCOM. The WIC guy put in for retirement and the Sq/CC got creative and was able to get out of it, but it's definitely getting to that point...

Have you talked with them about the activation?  Was this a direct activation or just that someone in the squadron needed to go?  

48 minutes ago, Termy said:

I'm nearly certain YAS is years aviation service which starts the day you are entitled to flight pay. Ie first day of upt

My ACIP/AO date is the day I started pilot training.  

• 2 weeks later...

Here's an idea. HAF could offer the bonus with a 10% increase annually. 30K, 33K, 36.3K, etc. there would be an opt-out clause if Congress doesn't raise the AVB ceiling. This would show the AF is serious about making changes, while putting the onus on Congress. 0.69% chance this happens.

Easy fix: let guys take the bonus pay when they specify, namely anytime during the contract period, in any amount. Make it like a bank account from DFAS...the servicemember determines when to payout the money; and when it gets taxed. The AF would get a few more takers that way. 

I signed up and took the Devil's money over two months ago and my anniversary passed last week and so far I haven't seen a payment.  How far after your anniversary did anyone who signed up early get paid?  My assumption is since the agreement was processed months ago that payment would be fairly quick once the anniversary date passed.

NDAA 2018 passed House of Reps (much like last year) with:

SEC. 617. INCREASE IN MAXIMUM.    AMOUNT OF AVIATION BONUS FOR 12-   MONTH PERIOD OF OBLIGATED.  SERVICE.

Section 334(c)(1)(B) of title 37, United  States Code, is amended by striking  “$35,000” and inserting “$50,000”.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2810/text/pcs#toc-H9B96A0BBCDD9434EAE44E3AF62ABBA4B

Now...what is the Senate going to do?

NDAA 2018 passed House of Reps (much like last year) with:
  SEC. 617. INCREASE IN MAXIMUM.    AMOUNT OF AVIATION BONUS FOR 12-   MONTH PERIOD OF OBLIGATED.  SERVICE.

Section 334©(1)(B) of title 37, United  States Code, is amended by striking  “$35,000” and inserting “$50,000”.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/2810/text/pcs#toc-H9B96A0BBCDD9434EAE44E3AF62ABBA4B

Now...what is the Senate going to do?

Last I looked, the Senate version looks to have no raise, and will actually limit the amount for a given "tier" based on that tiers manning level and prior year take rate.

1 hour ago, ihtfp06 said:

Last I looked, the Senate version looks to have no raise, and will actually limit the amount for a given "tier" based on that tiers manning level and prior year take rate.

Checks.... both chambers passed their version in early July. 

9 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

7 hours ago, osulax05 said:

Checks.... both chambers passed their version in early July. 

Where do you both see that?

Where do you both see that?

From what I can see, nothing has been passed in the senate yet. You can read the SASC version that's been put to the Senate floor if you google 2018 Senate NDAA. Search the PDF for aviation and you'll find the tier info.

I hear FY17 take rate is under 40%. Can anyone confirm?

You can get the numbers on RAW through AFPC secure. The numbers are indeed pretty bad (as of 5 sep). Tier 1 (11F) was below 40%, and Tier 2 (11B, 11M, 11S) was barely above. Keep in mind these numbers include the 1 and 2 year takers.

On 9/10/2017 at 7:37 AM, ihtfp06 said:

You can get the numbers on RAW through AFPC secure. The numbers are indeed pretty bad (as of 5 sep). Tier 1 (11F) was below 40%, and Tier 2 (11B, 11M, 11S) was barely above. Keep in mind these numbers include the 1 and 2 year takers.

The take rate listed on RAW is only for long-term (3+ yr) contracts. The overall long-term take (short term take rate doesn't much matter) is right around 40%.

If short term contracts were included, the overall rate would be a little over 50%. Still not good news.

It's noteworthy that for Tier 2, the 11Bs & 11Ss are bringing up the average. 11Ms are still below 40%. Tanker and C-17 bubbas (the two largest MDS pilot communities) seem especially inclined to get out--they're at about 35% right now.

TT

Edited by TnkrToad
accuracy, grammar

6 hours ago, TnkrToad said:

The take rate listed on RAW is only for long-term (3+ yr) contracts. The overall long-term take (short term take rate doesn't much matter) is right around 40%.

If short term contracts were included, the overall rate would be a little over 50%. Still not good news.

It's noteworthy that for Tier 2, the 11Bs & 11Ss are bringing up the average. 11Ms are still below 40%. Tanker and C-17 bubbas (the two largest MDS pilot communities) seem especially inclined to get out--they're at about 35% right now.

TT

Is there public data out there by airframe? I'd like to see a breakdown if it's there.

1 hour ago, flyusaf83 said:

Is there public data out there by airframe? I'd like to see a breakdown if it's there.

I don't think it's public. All the data, down to each airframe, is posted on AFPC Secure, though. Go to AFPC Secure, then select RAW. In RAW, select Static Demographics. From the list of all the docs, you'll find one that says FY17 ACP Take Rates (or something like that--I'm not using a CAC-enabled computer right now). They break the data down in about 69 different ways--to include numbers of eligibles and takers (both short and long) for each individual MDS.