Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

I agree, by the time O-4 rolls around, one should know the realities/requirements of the Air Force. The bureaucracy of military isn't changing, no matter what lip service HAF A1/AFPC/CSAF etc say they're doing.

I take that back... it'll change when DOPMA changes... but as a soon-to-be 2x passed over Captain, the other side is calling my name and I wish all those who stay the best!

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, sqwatch said:

Then what fixed retention problems during those in-between years? Did things improve (leadership, pay, etc), or did pilots simply not have other opportunities outside of the air force? If it is the later, this would give credence to the argument that we've heard from the general level that retention is economy based.

There were major airline furloughs in the early 90s and obviously the early 2000s. Also, there were a few airlines that went away during this timeframe.  Lot's of stories of guys going back on AD in the early-mid 90s and not long after 9/11 after being furloughed.    

The early 2000 furloughs were particularly bad and the military reaped the benefits.  The ARC was flooded with guys wanting days & dollars.  For 15 years lesdership had free reign to abuse their resources.  Now that the pendulum has swung the other way,  it seems some leadership is taking a while to recage their brains.  I saw a post on Facebook where one fighter squadron is requiring SEVEN (7) days a month from their pilots, with one of them being a no fly/queep day!  WTF!  I'm not even sure how they have all the paydays to make that happen.  I'm guessing they mostly fill their vacancies with AD guys who think it's not a bad deal  (I'm sure it's way better than AD).  Then they become part timers with other jobs and realize how ridiculous 7 days/month for a part timer is and they look for other ways to finish their 20.  Anyway, it seems their leadership is doing just as xaarman says...

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, xaarman said:

I read an ACSC paper that was posted here that covered the BENT program. It was sold that there were limited resources/flying hours, and priority was given to those who made the commitment to serve beyond their initial ADSC, or something like that.

Reading the ACSC papers are fascinating. Each time, the AF has gotten through it by not changing anything, but riding it out ...

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

History is a great guide in this case. I'd keep collective expectations low...

The mantra at the squadron levels (this is WORST EVER crisis, everyone is leaving, etc) is largely absent in the halls of HQ. Neither side of the issue has a complete picture, resulting in GOs talking past the line pilots telling them how it is in the trenches... looking past most input from the line (no matter how many initiatives are being worked). 

This has happened before, and there's no clamoring rush to fix it based on the USAFs previous experience. Given some of the economic projections for the next 2-4 years, maybe they're onto something to simply remain patient and make minor concessions.

It makes for lousy morale in the squadrons though...

Chuck

Edited by Chuck17
Spelling
  • Upvote 1

Rejoice!  They've fixed the pilot shortage with this bonus offer!  Or, the guys who were staying in anyway just got richer.  

I think Goldfein's quote was pretty good, and the closest thing I've seen in a while to a GO actually valuing pilots. 

“While history doesn't always repeat...it often rhymes,” he said. “Defending the homeland, owning the high ground and projecting power with our allies abroad takes skilled and professional pilots who make the incredibly hard look easy.

Having said that...RUN!  If someone has more than 2-3 years to go, I honestly can't imagine a scenario where I would pass up airline seniority and risk a 365 or multiple-179 gangbang in the 17-20 year of service window.  Until actual performance proves otherwise, this is all eyewash bullshit.

WASHINGTON (AFNS) -- As part of its retention efforts, the Air Force released details on the fiscal year 2017 Aviation Bonus Program (AvB) June 5, 2017. This year’s program implements an increase in maximum bonus amounts authorized in the fiscal 2017 National Defense Authorization Act in addition to more flexibility in contract lengths.

The program, combined with additional non-monetary initiatives, is part of a holistic approach to improve readiness and capacity by increasing retention of experienced aviators.

"We hope this new approach will make it easier for more Airmen to stay in the service," said Secretary of the Air Force Heather Wilson. "The country needs them."

This year Congress authorized the Air Force to increase the annual AvB cap from $25,000 per year to $35,000 per year and has mandated that bonus amounts be based on a business case analysis to determine greatest need and appropriate monetary amounts. 

“Actual bonus levels were determined by considering current and projected manning, current and projected retention levels, replacement training costs, and replacement training time,” said Lt. Gen. Gina Grosso, the Air Force manpower, personnel and services deputy chief of staff, “These are the same factors used to determine bonus needs across the Air Force, such as selective re-enlistment bonuses and critical skills retention bonuses.”

Additionally, the fiscal 2017 AvB contract options include one-year, two-year, and five-year options for all eligible 11X aviators, with the amounts tiered by the most critical needs. Bomber, special ops, and mobility pilots have a nine-year contract option while fighter pilots have nine-year and 24 years of aviation service (13-year maximum) options. RPA pilots, along with combat systems operators from various flying communities, are eligible for five-year contracts at varying amounts, tiered by critical needs.

The Air Force’s strategy to mitigate the pilot shortage consists of non-monetary and monetary initiatives in three main areas: production of pilots, reducing demand/need for pilots in non-flying positions, and increasing pilot retention. Some of the non-monetary initiatives include reducing the demand signal for non-flying assignments, headquarters staff positions and developmental opportunities; creating flexible options for developmental assignments that will reduce involuntary separations and provide flexibility for Airmen and families; reductions in additional duties; addition of contracted administrative support in operational units and more hands-on consultation with base leadership when choosing who will fill various assignments. 

The Air Force is also looking at additional monetary incentives for aviation, especially those targeted at mid-career aviators. The fiscal 2017 NDAA provided authorization to increase Aviation Incentive Pay, commonly known as monthly flight pay, which the service plans to increase this summer.

“One of my favorite quotes comes from Gen. Hap Arnold during the worst days of the daylight bombing campaign in Europe,” said Air Force Chief of Staff Gen. David L. Goldfein. “He said ‘the problem with airpower is we make it look too easy.’” 

“While history doesn't always repeat...it often rhymes,” he said. “Defending the homeland, owning the high ground and projecting power with our allies abroad takes skilled and professional pilots who make the incredibly hard look easy. I appreciate the support from Congress to offer our pilot force increased compensation for them and their families who serve beside them."

For complete eligibility requirements and application instructions, visit the myPers website at https://mypers.af.mil and enter "aviation bonus program" in the search window.

Edited by Bergman

4 hours ago, SocialD said:

There were major airline furloughs in the early 90s and obviously the early 2000s. Also, there were a few airlines that went away during this timeframe.  Lot's of stories of guys going back on AD in the early-mid 90s and not long after 9/11 after being furloughed.    

The early 2000 furloughs were particularly bad and the military reaped the benefits.  The ARC was flooded with guys wanting days & dollars.  For 15 years lesdership had free reign to abuse their resources.  Now that the pendulum has swung the other way,  it seems some leadership is taking a while to recage their brains.  I saw a post on Facebook where one fighter squadron is requiring SEVEN (7) days a month from their pilots, with one of them being a no fly/queep day!  WTF!  I'm not even sure how they have all the paydays to make that happen.  I'm guessing they mostly fill their vacancies with AD guys who think it's not a bad deal  (I'm sure it's way better than AD).  Then they become part timers with other jobs and realize how ridiculous 7 days/month for a part timer is and they look for other ways to finish their 20.  Anyway, it seems their leadership is doing just as xaarman says...

Maybe im clueless but isnt BMC around 6 sorties a month depending on the community?

1 hour ago, icohftb said:

Maybe im clueless but isnt BMC around 6 sorties a month depending on the community?

In my 11F community (same communtity as I referenced above) BMC is 5 sorties/month.  Normal RAP is 6/month with some optipns for 3 month look back.   Hot pits, tankers and double turns are the name of the game for part timers.   4, maybe 5 days a month, + a 1 week SIM trip/ yr, and occasional TDYs are more than enough.  Some months you get RAP, some months not.  It's all part of being/dealing with part timers.  Most of my squadrons part timers would quit if leadership mandated 7 days a month.   That's unsustainable for guys with other jobs, even airline guys...especially when they hit 3rd year or captain pay and take massive pay cuts to drill.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, ViperStud said:

Any rumors on what the ARC version will look like?  That being released today as well?

Looks like the AF Res and ANG programs are on mypers, just search "aviation bonus program". Short version, choose 1-3 year initial contract at $30K/yr.

Still waiting on the AD program specifics.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dogs-N-Guns said:

Looks like the AF Res and ANG programs are on mypers, just search "aviation bonus program". Short version, choose 1-3 year initial contract at $30K/yr.

Still waiting on the AD program specifics.

AFRC AvB (Aviation Bonus Program) is different than ANG ARP (Aviator Retention Pay)...

7 hours ago, ViperStud said:

Any rumors on what the ARC version will look like?  That being released today as well?

It was released if you didn't have a chance to look at it.  The 16 year TAFMS restriction is still in place which is frustrating.  And before you say, "well they already know they have got you," consider this:  that could be the difference in staying past 20.  I know of numerous folks (myself included) that were on the fence about extending their AGR time past 20.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/articles/air-force-rolls-out-13-year-455-000-bonuses-for-fighter-pilots

As a 12H, $20,000 for 5 might make sense. Assuming I make major, the timing of my next PCS and the timing of this 5 year one both ADSC's would be expiring would be the same year (roughly) and with the ADSC for my current PCS and my TA, I'd only have about a 6-9month window in which I could punch before that next PCS anyway. So basically I'd get $100,000 for what is effectively a 2 year extension. I have some contemplating to do.

So, 35K for 11F and 11U, but only 28-30 for everyone else.  I can't see how this could backfire at all.

5 hours ago, bronxbomber252 said:

So basically I'd get $100,000 for what is effectively a 2 year extension. I have some contemplating to do.

Not to be pedantic, but it really does matter: you would pocket $75,000 at the absolute top.  Make sure you factor taxes in when making this decision.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, bronxbomber252 said:

https://www.airforcetimes.com/articles/air-force-rolls-out-13-year-455-000-bonuses-for-fighter-pilots

As a 12H, $20,000 for 5 might make sense. Assuming I make major, the timing of my next PCS and the timing of this 5 year one both ADSC's would be expiring would be the same year (roughly) and with the ADSC for my current PCS and my TA, I'd only have about a 6-9month window in which I could punch before that next PCS anyway. So basically I'd get $100,000 for what is effectively a 2 year extension. I have some contemplating to do.

FB implied that only 12X's who had an ADSC expiring in 2017 were eligible.  I haven't seen it via any official channels.

Seems to make perfect sense to me...retain pilots to about year 15, and CSOs to year 10-11.

13 minutes ago, HU&W said:

I wonder how many 11F's are going to take the 13-year option.

I've never understood why someone would want to stay in past 20, unless they dreamed of being a Colonel in command of a Group or Wing or whatever.  But few people really know they're going to make O-6 at the ten year point that it makes no sense to sign a 13 year bonus.