Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

For all the dudes who are thinking about joining the guard or reserves and juggle that with an airline job, just realized that a lot of the guard and Reserve units are busy. It may not be busy compared to an active-duty lifestyle by itself but when you combine that with family and an airline gig things get pretty busy. If you have a spouse with a good job and you can mail drop a lot of trips to manage your schedule that's great but if you're the breadwinner and you're trying to hold down two jobs you're still going to be away from home and you're still going to be busy. There are still going to be deployment requirements and although you won't be deployed as much your deployments in the guard or reserves combined with your days away from home with the airlines do add up. We've picked up a lot of active duty guys and gals over the past couple years and some of them are considering just separating totally and not going to 20 years because they underestimated just how busy they would be and how challenging it is to juggle both especially if you're far away from either one of your jobs. So my suggestion is 2 pick a guard unit near where you're going to be faced with the airlines or pick an airline where you can be base near your guard unit.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

• Upvote 3

This is incorrect.  If you are passed over APZ, they may offer you continuation.  You are not required to accept continuation.  All ADSCs are null and void if you choose not to accept.

^^This^^

This is exactly what I did when I was twice passed over. I simply pay them back the unearned portion (via 1% interest monthly installments) and proceed out the door to the airlines!

It is truly better out here.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 2

A little nugget worth considering:

While the 1,500 pilot shortage is a big deal, that's only part of the problem. According to my research, the Air Force pilot inventory has dropped from 15,300 to 13,800 since FY11 (1,500 pilots). In that same time, the total number of manned aircraft aviators (pilots, navs, CSOs, ABMs) has dropped by 2,200 (20,900 to 18,700).

The only aviator group that is numerically growing right now is RPA pilots. I guess that's why the AF is focusing its bonus program so heavily on them--the RPA community is the only place where Big Blue is getting a return on its ACP investments.

Bottom line--the shrinking of the nav & ABM career fields will create even greater demand for pilots on staffs, at a time when the pilot community is already hemorrhaging bodies.

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Gazmo said:

More with less. We had to pay for the F-22 and F-35 somehow.

We needed a hell of a lot more of the former.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

Two guys I know had about a month shy of 15 years when notified but will have more than 15 years when forced out.

Hey Generals, open your f'n eyes.  We want job security and loyalty from our employer.  You offer neither.

Run for the hills boys...

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

Two guys I know had about a month shy of 15 years when notified but will have more than 15 years when forced out.

I thought the days of blatantly screwing people out of a retirement were over (due to pilot shortage).

Guess not.

4 hours ago, TnkrToad said:

A little nugget worth considering:

While the 1,500 pilot shortage is a big deal, that's only part of the problem. According to my research, the Air Force pilot inventory has dropped from 15,300 to 13,800 since FY11 (1,500 pilots). In that same time, the total number of manned aircraft aviators (pilots, navs, CSOs, ABMs) has dropped by 2,200 (20,900 to 18,700).

The only aviator group that is numerically growing right now is RPA pilots. I guess that's why the AF is focusing its bonus program so heavily on them--the RPA community is the only place where Big Blue is getting a return on its ACP investments.

Bottom line--the shrinking of the nav & ABM career fields will create even greater demand for pilots on staffs, at a time when the pilot community is already hemorrhaging bodies.

Sent from my iPad using Baseops Network Forums

Drones don't win wars. Is that the AF plan? 

I was talking to a deployed ABM and a pilot from his squadron the other day. He was telling me his bros are running for the door just like the pilots. And his pilot who is a major was like I'm out of here for the airlines next year. It has gotten real and the AF is going to get caught with their dick in the pie.

2 hours ago, ImNotARobot said:

Air Force Requests 4K More Airmen, 46 F-35s, No Bonus Changes - Military.com
https://apple.news/AJeUhSGVVT82uTcYESpGrVA

No bonus changes...why would I expect anything different. With every passing action, AF leadership shows me EXACTLY how it continues to value pilots. 

And so do the airlines. 

can somebody with some insight explain this and why they would do this?

1 hour ago, Oldtanker said:

I thought the days of blatantly screwing people out of a retirement were over (due to pilot shortage).

Guess not.

So, it turns out the person who was supposed to put together the correct form letter just grabbed the "so long and thanks for all the fish" version and never actually read the PSDM that said both these guys were twice passed over but offered selective continuation under the current "11X is a critical skill" and "fully qualified." They're still waiting to get their "real" twice passed over letters.

1 hour ago, ThreeHoler said:

So, it turns out the person who was supposed to put together the correct form letter just grabbed the "so long and thanks for all the fish" version and never actually read the PSDM that said both these guys were twice passed over but offered selective continuation under the current "11X is a critical skill" and "fully qualified." They're still waiting to get their "real" twice passed over letters.

Those guys should just jump ship as there are other ways to get your 20. Incompetence should not be rewarded

5 hours ago, ImNotARobot said:

Air Force Requests 4K More Airmen, 46 F-35s, No Bonus Changes - Military.com
https://apple.news/AJeUhSGVVT82uTcYESpGrVA

No bonus changes...why would I expect anything different. With every passing action, AF leadership shows me EXACTLY how it continues to value pilots. 

And so do the airlines. 

I don't get it. Rand study says $60k needed, AF asks for $48k, NDAA authorizes $35, but AF decides on $25k?Is this the final answer? 

I'm glad the passed over dudes have the option to stay in. Can't expect personnel staff to follow personnel memos.

I don't get it. Rand study says $60k needed, AF asks for $48k, NDAA authorizes $35, but AF decides on $25k?Is this the final answer? 
I'm glad the passed over dudes have the option to stay in. Can't expect personnel staff to follow personnel memos.

Did you read the article? FY18 budget...stays same as FY17. So $35k max.

That said, the people at the top are clueless even if they have a "pilot retention crisis team."

We need a bunch of new airplanes, but won't have anyone to fly or maintain them. Makes sense to me. What a funny past 15 years this has been. It's amazing how something so good has turned into something this bad.

Did you read the article? FY18 budget...stays same as FY17. So $35k max.

That said, the people at the top are clueless even if they have a "pilot retention crisis team."

Well, it certainly doesn't help when every phucktard they ask keeps saying "it's not about the money" when they should be saying "it's not just about the money."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ihtfp06 said:

Well, it certainly doesn't help when every phucktard they ask keeps saying "it's not about the money" when they should be saying "it's not just about the money."

"2"

15 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

^This.  Everything has a price.

Just to give you an idea how much the Air Force values pilots:

In 1990, a Captain reaching 6 years rated duty received $650 a month in ACIP.  This represented a 25.6% premium over basic pay (BAH/BAS would drive this percentage down, of course).

In 2017, a Captain reaching 6 years rated duty receives $650 a month in ACIP.  This represents only a 11.5% premium over basic pay (BAH/BAS would drive this percentage down, of course).

Couple this with our average (compared to LAF) recognition on promotion boards, and I begin to feel really appreciated and critical to the success of the AF.

The Air Force is going to have a really tough time fighting and winning once we run out of qualified individuals wanting to fly.

5 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

Just to give you an idea how much the Air Force values pilots:

In 1990, a Captain reaching 6 years rated duty received $650 a month in ACIP.  This represented a 25.6% premium over basic pay (BAH/BAS would drive this percentage down, of course).

In 2017, a Captain reaching 6 years rated duty receives $650 a month in ACIP.  This represents only a 11.5% premium over basic pay (BAH/BAS would drive this percentage down, of course).

Couple this with our average (compared to LAF) recognition on promotion boards, and I begin to feel really appreciated and critical to the success of the AF.

The Air Force is going to have a really tough time fighting and winning once we run out of qualified individuals wanting to fly.

When was the last time we actually won anything: Desert Storm? How did we win during Desert Fox, Operation Allied Force, OEF, OIF, Operation Odyssey Dawn?

Don't even get me started on where ISR goes despite tons of sorties. Maxing out your people to fill databases for analysis doesn't make any sense. When a war kicks off, there is no golden damn BB...cough Korea.

Adversaries aren't stupid anymore. Look at what tactics were employed against us during OAF. Then we watched how much of their equipment that actually survived the operation. 

Edited by hatedont
  • Upvote 1