Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

Words from our (bomber) functional today...

11X bonus raised to 35K as already stated.

No 12B bonus (12F not addressed) despite large manning shortfalls.

Work underway for 11F AD recalls. Policy may drop as soon as 4 mo from now.

All future T-38s to fighters, non-recs to bombers

T-1 FAIPs and some directs will fill bombers

MAF to accept fewer total UPT grads overall based on perception of ~100% mobility manning

No mention of stoploss.

Palace Chase:
Less than 6 mo ADSC - likely to be approved
6-12 - rare
More than 12 - very unlikely

random leadership comment:

"AFRC/ANG will be broken in 3-5 years"

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 3

Words from our (bomber) functional today...

11X bonus raised to 35K as already stated.

No 12B bonus (12F not addressed) despite large manning shortfalls.

Work underway for 11F AD recalls. Policy may drop as soon as 4 mo from now.

MAF to accept fewer total UPT grads overall based on perception of ~100% mobility manning

No mention of stoploss.

Palace Chase:

Less than 6 mo ADSC - likely to be approved

6-12 - rare

More than 12 - very unlikely

random leadership comment:

"AFRC/ANG will be broken in 3-5 years"

MAF 100% manned? Bawahahahahahaha!

11F recalls? Nice. More airline vacancies for us ARC guys.

AFRC/ANG broken in 3-5 years.... that I agree with.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Sounds like recall to active duty on a (hopefully?) voluntary basis.

Voluntary? These dudes got out for a reason. I highly doubt Joe Ex-11F wants to leave his cush job with Delta to voluntarily come back to this happy horse poop.

• Upvote 1

Voluntary? These dudes got out for a reason. I highly doubt Joe Ex-11F wants to leave his cush job with Delta to voluntarily come back to this happy horse poop.

It's been known to happen. YMMV.

1 hour ago, Gazmo said:

A voluntary recall could get some guys back for an assignment if the AF did it right.  If a dude who is just finishing probation at an airline got an offer of his choice of bases, it could work out.  Wouldn't mess up his career at an airline unless he overstayed his 5 years mil leave.  If they offered in writing a 3 year assignment with only a 3 year ADSC to a fighter squadron in Europe with no individual non-vol TDYs (only deploy when the squadron deploys), they'd get some guys for sure and the gaining squadrons would be better for it.  Imagine how much better of a squadron it could be if the SQ/DO or SQ/CC honestly didn't give a single thought to his career after that job?

Problem is, the AF will just pork it away and has show itself to not be trustworthy as an organization.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Gazmo said:

MAF 100% manned? Bawahahahahahaha!

11F recalls? Nice. More airline vacancies for us ARC guys.

AFRC/ANG broken in 3-5 years.... that I agree with.

Let's see . . .

- AD senior leaders clueless/unwilling to acknowledge MAF pilot shortfalls . . . heavy drivers feel unappreciated

- A-word hiring is huge/not going away & MAF mission is directly applicable to a-word skill sets . . . civil sector makes heavy drivers feel really appreciated (showing it through compensation packages)

- Something like half of airlift & tankers are in the AFRES/ANG . . . Guard & Reserves need AD heavy drivers, sending demand for AD heavy drivers even higher

- From what I read on here, folks already in AFRC have little desire to stay past 20 . . . Guard/Reserves need even more heavy drivers

- Folks separating from AD little prob getting hired by the airlines . . . heavy drivers don't need the Guard/Reserves

- AFRC's inability to fill taskings drives AD requirements even higher, driving up AD OPSTEMPO, which further pushes folks toward the exits

I'm sure glad Big Blue is only short on 11Fs. What could possibly go wrong?

• Upvote 1

Sounds like recall to active duty on a (hopefully?) voluntary basis.

I look forward to (hopefully) receiving this phone call...and telling Big Blue exactly where to stick their "offer". Barring WWIII, you couldn't get me to go back for any amount of promises or compensation. The grass is most definitely greener out here.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, bb17 said:

Doesn't sound bueno as a guy heading into AFRC...

It's not bad for the individuals in AFRC, it's a sign that the organization itself is in trouble. My squadron went from completely healthy to unable to fill its full time positions in just 6 months. Each week a new full time guy is getting a call from the airlines and bailing for a TR spot or retiring completely. I do not know who is going to be around to run the squadron next year.

It may be the best time ever to join the AFRC if you can get into the type of position that you want. Job security should be high and progression appears to be practically unlimited.

• Upvote 2

Big blue will screw this up and piss off more people. People who signed the bonus a few years back willing to stay as long as they can fly operationally will be given IFF and "other" 11F billets while the return to AD guys will be given the enticing assignments to get them back which will just piss more people off. Our leadership is not skilled/smart enough to enact this correctly.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ThreeHoler said:

AMC is currently short 315 pilots after they cooked the books by already reducing the crew ratios and sent hundreds of pilots out of the communities to get us to "100% manned". At least General Everheart was honest about the prospects of retaining those eligible to separate. 

Edited by Fuzz
  • Upvote 1

So glad I retired...

In many ways it is sad to watch this happen, but in a twisted sort of way it is gratifying.  I used to love the Air Force and serving, but a small group of spineless leaders sold their souls to get promoted when they could have fallen on their swords and sound the alarm.  Who knows, the outcome might have been exactly the same.  It sickens me that I put faith in some of these guys, Christ I flew with people like Rand and really believed the bullshit.  I truly hope you guys and girls don't end up as jaded as I am.

Now it feels like I am comfortably sitting on my front porch watching a kid poke the hornets nest when I told him 10 times what would happen and while I don't want anyone to suffer, I will feel a small bit of satisfaction when he gets stung.

• Upvote 14

10 hours ago, Jaded said:

It's not bad for the individuals in AFRC, it's a sign that the organization itself is in trouble. My squadron went from completely healthy to unable to fill its full time positions in just 6 months. Each week a new full time guy is getting a call from the airlines and bailing for a TR spot or retiring completely. I do not know who is going to be around to run the squadron next year.

It may be the best time ever to join the AFRC if you can get into the type of position that you want. Job security should be high and progression appears to be practically unlimited.

We have run into the same retention issue.  The ART bonus SF50's were just processed and hitting paychecks this next round but 25% for one year is peanuts vs what a 2nd year airline dudes get.  Couple months ago an email from AFRC DO was sent out promising 1.7% FERS multiplier and locality pay separated from the 30% "specialty pay" along with a few other longer term time items that would require legislative change.  Those first two items were supposedly approved by AFRC, sent to OPM, and included in the 2017 NDAA.....

That email was sent out back in Sept or Oct.  It's been radio silence since on everything other than the one time bonus. 

**rumor warning** Nice little nugget that was dropped ealrier this week is AFRC is considering offering 1-3 yr AGR spots to ARTs who recently quit to go airline.  This is so AFRC can "retain the corporate knowledge" of their pilots due to the mass exodus they are seeing across the board.  The extra kick in the junk is that current ARTs will NOT be allowed to take the AGR orders.  So, your going to guarantee me Major pay for 3 yrs while I build seniority at my airline?  I wasn't considering airline but if they play that game that would push me out and practically every other ART other than your lifers........especially since any real talk of PERMANENTLY raising our salaries has stalled and this "on a yearly basis" BS seems to satisfy leadership for now...

Anybody heard anything about the TR bonus? I thought it was unnecessary a few months ago but once our TRs hit second year pay, their exodus may start. It's getting to the point where every day an airline guy works at the unit he loses $500. It's just not sustainable. 

1 hour ago, VMFA187 said:

It's not just the AF.

Two days ago the USMC released a MARADMIN stating twice passed over Captains who are pilots will be automatically retained for three years unless they jump through hoops prior to January 31. Automatic three year extension to potential non-flying orders and PCS? 

Not sure whose going to hang out to man what few Hornets we have remaining.

Someone in the chain can't read United States Code, i.e., DOPMA.

Twice passed over = out unless offered continuation.

It may take a while and will screw those affected in the short-term, but the class action suit that will result should net them a nice piece of change.

Not enough to make up for not building seniority or whatever sh1t sandwich they are handed for those three years, but it will come.

I'd also be calling the sh1t out of my Congressional critters and DoD IG.  IF I wasn't promoted, twice, then the law states I must be separated unless you offer and I accept continuation.

Key word is accept.

Lots of lawyers around who like and know how to stick to The Man since it pays them handsomely to do so.

19 hours ago, daynightindicator said:

Where is this info coming from, and has something like this happened in recent memory? I wouldn't've expected to ever hear something like this. It sounds like almost a complete revamp of the tracking system.

• Upvote 2

It's not just the AF.
Two days ago the USMC released a MARADMIN stating twice passed over Captains who are pilots will be automatically retained for three years unless they jump through hoops prior to January 31. Automatic three year extension to potential non-flying orders and PCS? 
Not sure whose going to hang out to man what few Hornets we have remaining.

How can they do this? Wouldn't they still be allowed to deny the retainment and separate?

4 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Where is this info coming from, and has something like this happened in recent memory? I wouldn't've expected to ever hear something like this. It sounds like almost a complete revamp of the tracking system.

FY 2000 or thereabouts, Toners could drop a bomber. Then it went away. It's not earth shattering change by any means. The ethnocentrism of the Air Force track system is retarded anyways. We're now prepping for T-38 instructors to come from T-1 tracked MWS guys who've never flown the thing. Of course, PIT is such a high-ROI water-into-wine making outfit, they'll have zero problem cranking out quality....

As to expectations, manning is falling apart but it sure is a great time to be a T-38 student. It's like an episode of the Oprah Show. YOU get a fighter, YOU get a fighter! LOL There's some real shitbags being pushed who would have never made the cut back in mid 00s, and we've tried documenting away and trying to bring solid candidates for the B-courses, but in this environment it's about impossible to wash someone out of UPT/IFF. In time, this too will change again. It matters none, timing and luck has always been the driver, et al. I sleep with a clear conscience, let the B-course IPs sort through the guano. Not on me brotato chips.

--BREAK BREAK--

On the AFRC front, the last email I got was the ART-to-AGR retro-conversion plan that's being thrown around, as they grapple and panic on an 5-year on going 55% ART manning rate, after the whole six years of pushing the ART conversion on everyone during FY11 when the airlines were merely hinting at opening the floodgates. Ah vindication sure is sweet. Fuck em. Let them eat cake for 15 years of non-choices and garbage treatment of their operators. It is an absolutely great time to align fuselages into whichever status you want to be in long term. Make no mistake, just like the airline hiring, once it stops, and it WILL stop, the hiring will also freeze in the military side and whatever chair you have at that time is the chair you'll have to like for quite a while.

The only way they can change the ART dynamics for the better is to allow that job to be considered USERRA-eligible based on the part B. That way airline aspirants can mil leave into an ART. But since it's being driven by the part A (civilian), no dice. Same thing for the AD recall volunteer call. You give the guy a flying club gig for 3 years and all these junior guys will jump at it. Pilot shortage fixed overnight. But big blue ain't interested in giving out good deals. So they'll sit on it and keep sucking. Oh well, suit yourself.

P.S. One gratuitous pot shot observation of the airline gig. You know, for the greatest job in the world, people sure spend a lot of time hiding from it in the military. Any job is great when you're the senior guy. I judge a job's worth by how the middle guy does. From my vantage point, the middle guy at the airlines does ok, and I'm certainly not making a plug for an AD-on-the-cheap ART job, just keeping it balanced. I was a trougher in the mid 00s, I know what the airline job looks like on the back end of the waves. No free lunch fellas. Everybody walk with the Mk 1s uncaged and tracking now. No excuse in the age of the internet.

• Upvote 7