Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

21 hours ago, magnetfreezer said:

Maybe... and many pilots would be happy to go obliterate targets. This scenario relies on Mattis that he won't say "Mr. President we don't have enough pilots to be slide monkeys at CJTF-HQ" instead.

Agree. It falls under the heading of "serious misallocation of valuable military resources"

Break

And if the DOD wants to REALLY  get a recalcitrant (my ACT word for the day) pilot's attention they set up a process where they can get the FAA to suspend the Airman Certificate of anyone who faces a FEB or UCMJ action. Not sure if it would need a separate Congressional Action to make it happen though it would be hard to say if a Republican Congress would actually go along with it anyway. As everyone who holds a certificate knows it's considered a "privilege"

And if the DOD wants to REALLY  get a recalcitrant (my ACT word for the day) pilot's attention they set up a process where they can get the FAA to suspend the Airman Certificate of anyone who faces a FEB or UCMJ action. Not sure if it would need a separate Congressional Action to make it happen though it would be hard to say if a Republican Congress would actually go along with it anyway. As everyone who holds a certificate knows it's considered a "privilege"

Ridiculous on many levels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, sqwatch said:

Ridiculous on many levels

Very much so but given what has happened in this country over the last several months not much would surprise me. Trump has just threatened Boeing with canceling the new Air Force One over cost. Can he? Good question. But as a very shrewd businessman he has absolutely no compunction with playing hardball.

Very much so but given what has happened in this country over the last several months not much would surprise me. Trump has just threatened Boeing with canceling the new Air Force One over cost. Can he? Good question. But as a very shrewd businessman he has absolutely no compunction with playing hardball.

Compunction-another one of those 5 dollar words.

Fortunately, there are lots of lobbyists and congressmen (not to mention well paid Boeing employees) that will work within the law to keep that gravy train rolling.

My take on this whole election- unless you're celebrating Mattis as secdef, a republican lock on SCOTUS for a generation, an AG who will crack down on hippies who stop traffic or liberal anxiety in general, the rest will be more of the same. I won't be able to buy a machine gun, Mexicans and Muslims will be just fine, Boeing will build a new AF1 and the protection of title 10 orders will remain.

Everybody calm the fvck down.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

"In keeping with the Air Force's current practice of offering pilots anywhere from $10,000 to $25,000 for every year they extend their contracts, not every pilot will get the maximum possible bonus proposed in the defense authorization bill. In the joint explanatory statement accompanying the bill, lawmakers said that Goldfein told them the bonus will be tailored by platform, based on the Air Force's requirements".

https://www.airforcetimes.com/articles/ndaa-aviator-retention-pay

The discussion of heavy drivers receiving  a $48k to $60k a year bonus is dead. I believe $35k is unlikely based on the above statement. 

I agree that a most things will stay the same. Lots of things are said in a campaign that have no chance of happening precisely because we do have robust checks and balances in the government. 

No mass deportations and I'm not a contracting officer so I can't say what is or isn't allowed in the AF1 case etc. But I still see some traditional boundaries tested by a very non traditional president.

But point taken so now a little juvenile humor instead of big words.

Bacon.jpg

• Upvote 1

The discussion of heavy drivers receiving  a $48k to $60k a year bonus is dead. I believe $35k is unlikely based on the above statement. 

How many mobility guys are going to accept 25k/yr if the 11U/18Us are pulling down 35k and there's no guarantee AFPC won't reassign you to droids?

1 hour ago, ihtfp06 said:

How many mobility guys are going to accept 25k/yr if the 11U/18Us are pulling down 35k and there's no guarantee AFPC won't reassign you to droids?

DoD simply can't keep up.  A couple airlines just approved raises bigger than the debated ACP bonuses.  Without having to sign a contract.  The only hope for AF pilot retention is another recession.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, sqwatch said:

My take on this whole election- unless you're celebrating Mattis as secdef, a republican lock on SCOTUS for a generation, an AG who will crack down on hippies who stop traffic or liberal anxiety in general, the rest will be more of the same.

Honestly, that might be enough to keep a grin on my face for the next 8 years.

As for the rest of you nerds, I'm not impressed by your sesquipedalian prose.

Edited by tk1313
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

As a $25k bonus taker (I had my reasons) I'll be the first to predict that a targeted $35k bonus will cause rates to drop across the board. It won't be enough to keep those that are targeted, and it'll further alienate those deemed not worthy of the raise. I can't believe that they still don't get it. ALL pilot retention is in crisis mode, not just the ones highlighted by the manning spreadsheets.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

• Upvote 1

I still think the theory that makes the most sense is that the updated bonus was designed to make stop loss more palatable to Congress. It allows the Air Force to say, "See, we tried to give them more money! There's no other option except for stop loss!" There's no way that anyone actually believes that even $50k/yr solves the retention problem, but it would give leadership an "out" in 2018 (the same year that RAND predicted a stop loss).

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Oldtanker said:

sesquipedalian prose? WTF does that mean.

That's why I'm not worthy of a bigger bonus.

Exactly my thoughts, I didn't think I was dumb, EE degree, fighter pilot, LtCol,  and words I've never heard, and now I'm ignit 

Edited by matmacwc
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, matmacwc said:

I didn't think I was dumb, EE degree, fighter pilot, LtCol,  and words I've never heard, and now I'm ignit 

That's like saying YOU don't think you're a chick because you have two arms, two legs and a butthole. No correlation - you're still a chick. 

• Upvote 1

Realize the fundamental error of regarding such functional notions with hatred is not quite equivalent to an important distinction in vocabulary use. A consequence of the approach you seem to be taking is that any associated supporting elements for your distaste are likely different from any abstract underlying order. In the discussion of presumptive confabulations, an important property of such with respect to the ultimate standard is the the accuracy of any proposed grammar. Comparing the earlier examples with their parasitic gap counterparts, we see that the speaker-hearer's linguistic intuition suffices to account for the strong generative capacity of your emotion. Note that the appearance of parasitic gaps in domains relatively inaccessible to ordinary extraction is, apparently, determined by nondistinctness in the sense of distinctive feature theory.

I think this might be my favorite post of this forum, next to the NSFW picture thread from the Squadron Bar of course

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums