Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

4 hours ago, Swizzle said:

Short term, perhaps trivial, culture fix attempt; and a long term attempt at more thin strats to promote/retain/recognize fighter pilots...nothing more I ponder

Do you free base the cool aid or mainline it?

• Downvote 1

I am as salty as most here, but I see nothing wrong with what they are trying to do. It should go without saying that this isn't the silver bullet that will stop the hemorrhaging of fighter personnel, but it's better than no action. I agree, real action would be allowing busses full of morally loose women to frequent the o clubs again (or even re-instate o clubs), but that won't happen again in my lifetime. Gotta set realistic goals. This also will be seen by outsiders to the community - an attempt at reinstating that lost sense of respect and prestige we've all bitched about. I see this as a net positive, and a hit generator on Tony's site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I think the main push back is that this just generates more queep to distract from the mission. More recognition is a great thing, but we can always count on Big Blue to fail in the execution. This will mean taskers and deadlines to front line supervisors filling out yet more 1206's when they could be focusing on the mission and tactics. Instead they will be worried about finding the right acronym from the latest wing admin guide that is the correct number of characters for the bullet. This is why good people continue to run for the door.

• Upvote 2

Definitely not about medals...we say it's not about the money, but we know it helps...yet cannot begin to fix the current state for sure.

Peace is, no doubt, a great pacifier...but, lets say that isn't a variable to be controlled.

QoL is again and again the unquantified goto "latch onto" variable when discontent needs/wants to be quickly conveyed...the message is being missed. I see the tit and tat ("well visits", "volunteerism", etc.), but specificity is valuable.

If you only deployed (even if it was regularly) to only do your job and nothing else, would that meet the intent of QoL? What is the desired standard of QoL here?

Bendy

If only we had some O-6s to O-8s on this board to comment (Liquid, Learjetter, Chuck17, etc)...
Odd that they don't chime in much on these threads, though.

From what I've seen, these guys aren't part of that group.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bender said:

If you only deployed (even if it was regularly) to only do your job and nothing else, would that meet the intent of QoL? What is the desired standard of QoL here?

Start by looking at who you're competing with for talent.  Civilian employers, airlines, AFRC, ANG.  How does your pay and QoL/work rules compare?

- Hard pay (salary)
- Soft pay (per diem, hotels, health care, opportunity to work more/less for more/less pay, 401k/pension, Space A/deadheading options, education, etc).  AD is better at this in some areas (pension/TRICARE until that goes away...) and worse in others (military lodging is mostly awful, compare travel on AD on a non-flying TDY vs FedEx deviating in international first/biz class, the disaster that is DTS and the JTR, etc)
- Total time away from home
- When away from home for work, where is that location?  A nice place, an average place, or a shithole?
- Control over career progression and living location
- Crew rest, FAR 117 requirements, crew duty days, etc
- Leave/vacation
- Additional duties- how much work are you expected to do outside of your primary duty?  Do you do everyone else's jobs for them? Do you take your work home with you? Does your employer pretend that all of its employees are equal?

Just a few things that came to mind, there are plenty more to add.  It's going to be incredibly painful for the AF to acknowledge that it's severely lacking in QoL and work rules with respect to pilot retention.  Throwing more money at the problem can indeed fix it, but it's going to take a hell of a lot more money than has been floated so far.  

• Upvote 1

If only we had some O-6s to O-8s on this board to comment (Liquid, Learjetter, Chuck17, etc)...

And what exactly do you want them to say? That you are right and they are part of the problem? Or just to commiserate with you?

There is a lot of sport bitching going on in this thread and no clear answers. There are a lot of misguided solutions as you guys have pointed out.

There are also lots of folks on this board that give a sh!t but many of them don't work or have input into these issues.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, Herk Driver said:

If only every O-6 had the control that you think they have...

Shack, we have little control...it is sickening how high some of the most basic and mundane decisions are pushed just to CYA.

For a service that has the tenet "Centralized Control, Decentralized Execution." the service takes great pride in throwing that out the window at every opportunity.  My first real clash with the system occurred when I was a squadron commander.  I was given the AFPC commanders hotline which was a direct number a G series commander could call to work real people issues.  The officer side was fairly straight forward in that I knew the lanes I could work to impact a person's career and assignment options.  The enlisted side was a complete abomination.  Long story short, I was manned at 63% on the enlisted side and I had a guy who had been in the unit for two years and had some family issues (his dad was terminally ill),...suddenly they wanted to move him to the AOC and replace him with a line Instructor from the critically manned ops unit.  I found out the ops unit was going to get a long-term DNIF guy coming back from overseas.  I talked to the other two squadron commanders and we all agreed, let the ops guy keep the much needed instructor, let me keep my guy who was doing three critical jobs outside his own (and I could manage his schedule to take leave to be with his dad), and send the DNIF guy to the AOC...makes sense right...not to the "E-9s" at AFPC.  I got a few days of push back and finally called the head E-9 functional to explain the situation and ask for some common sense.  His reply..."Sirrrrrr, the Air Force Enlisted Assignment process is far to big for you to take a personal interest in someone."  I lost it...Why the FUCK am I a Commander if I can't take an interest in my people!  I elevated it all the way through the Wing/CC and I LOST. 

We are broken...LEAVE while you can.

• Upvote 5

Search the thread, I've been pretty consistent with what I think.

Vandy should be smarter than this, and it has a sheen of desperation.

End the bonus entirely, increase fly pay to 2016 dollars at all levels, reduce initial ADSC to 6 years, let commanders at gp and sq work assignments by ending the RSAP and bringing back ACE at RPA wings and certain other bases.

Not to mention the political stuff like letting State to State stuff and USMil do USMil stuff.
  • Upvote 6

Shack, we have little control...it is sickening... I got a few days of push back and finally called the head E-9 functional to explain the situation and ask for some common sense.  His reply..."Sirrrrrr, the Air Force Enlisted Assignment process is far to big for you to take a personal interest in someone."  I lost it...Why the am I a Commander if I can't take an interest in my people!  I elevated it all the way through the Wing/CC and I LOST. 
We are broken...LEAVE while you can.

I won't advocate for good folks to leave (but wont try to stop them either) because we need them to help regain control of the aircraft...but I had several personnel discussions much like this one. Perfect common sense and everyone as satisfied as possible...but a no-go by the "system" -- Sometimes elevated to 2 and star levels only to get similar results. That's something that needs fixing NOW
  • Upvote 1

End the bonus entirely, increase fly pay to 2016 dollars at all levels, reduce initial ADSC to 6 years, let commanders at gp and sq work assignments by ending the RSAP and bringing back ACE at RPA wings and certain other bases.

Not to mention the political stuff like letting State to State stuff and USMil do USMil stuff.

How to you suck in people for shitty 365s when they are not bound by a commitment? I do agree to getting rid of the bonus and just increasing flight pay. Shit take away the bonus and take all the additional duties and hire some ass clown to do it for us. This would make my life better.

I know a lot of people that would love to stay in but the queep of doing office work more than flying bothers them. The up or out mindset which causes people to "need career progression" really doesn't work for the guy who knows he will never see a command or a bird on his shoulder. Those who wish to get to command will usually work hard to get there anyway so let them.

Break break

I also know there is a proposition in works to contract out Phase 2 training. This isn't an AF initiative but an option to free up pilots. I think it's a horrible idea but it's an option.

• Upvote 1

Everyone has a different circumstance and the experience varies, but my Sq/CC experience had many similarities to CH. The enlisted assignment system has no input for CC's. The O side has a lot of input and there are options but they are not always ideal.

But, the idea that every O-6 has the ability to make the changes that are being advocated is downright ridiculous.

There are many decisions that are local and my goal has always been to make a difference where I could. I would like to think that I did that both at the Sq and Gp levels. I could be wrong but I will say that many people miss the forest for the trees. There is a lot of sport bitching and that's great but there is some goodness that occurs everyday.

When a guy (CC) has placed his @ss on the line I think that it gets overlooked in many instances. How many folks post on here the positives they have experienced? There are a few. Not many.

Critically think about the good, the bad and the ugly and then come back and lay it out.

And by the way, for the previous poster, don't try to equate this to alcoholics, the only similarity is that they attend meetings.

• Upvote 2

Word to the wise. Get everything in writing. Even when it's yours it's not really yours. May turn out down the road "we were just joking". http://www.cbsnews.com/news/california-soldiers-forced-to-repay-enlistment-bonuses-la-times-report/ Adding insult to injury is having to pay back the full amount, including the 30% or so taxes that were taken at the time of payment.

• Upvote 1

On October 17, 2016 at 8:13 AM, ClearedHot said:

Shack, we have little control...it is sickening how high some of the most basic and mundane decisions are pushed just to CYA.

For a service that has the tenet "Centralized Control, Decentralized Execution." the service takes great pride in throwing that out the window at every opportunity. 

"Centralized Control, Centralized Execution" is the new hotness.  Apparently you didn't get that memo......

• Upvote 1

I just saw an article that the RPA bonus was going up to $35k per year! Here's the catch, it's for only 5 years ($175k) and the previous 9 year $225k is no longer available. Finally, you can't take half up front. I'm pretty sure this will solve all of the retention problems! 

On 10/16/2016 at 8:36 PM, Karl Hungus said:

I'll bite, but have to clarify a few things first.
1. Not an O-6 to O-8, haven't even pinned on O-5 yet.
2. Will embark on the sq/cc experience next summer.
3. Never been an exec, but spent the last two years close enough with enough GOs to speak from that experience.

4. Lastly, I stopped commenting here so much largely due to the many who refuse to engage in discourse in which there is an actual conversation. That and there's just not enough hours in the day. Opinion: There's too much TL/DR bullshit on this site. While brevity is the soul of wit, these problems won't be solved in 140 characters. To solve them, even to understand them, you have to engage your brain. That takes effort, god forbid. But... I still read this site everyday... Seriously!

That said, retention of the right people-aviators-is one of many problems facing the officer corps in the USAF today. It's is a nasty problem that the USAF has no clue how to fix and that's going to deepen before it eases. This is evident in the hamfisted closing of loopholes fits and starts we've seen thus far. The USAF as the tech force throws money at problems (or punts), whereas the Army for example throws people at problems... 

There's more to it than money or easing the add'l duty burden or reinvigorating the squadrons. QOL plays a part, and part of that is morale - the feeling that your work matters, that you are accomplishing the mission. When you treat people like crap, overwork them, and give them no hope that things will change, morale plummets. That's what's happened. Read General Tunner's description of aircrew morale in China-India when he arrived there in his book 'Over the Hump' and you'll see. We have a morale problem manifesting as a retention problem. Period. (Though it is not universal, this is what is killing the squadrons...)

Next let me clear up a common misconception... Colonels and low ranking GOs have far less power to affect change and make things better than you'd think. Not all colonels are equal, just as relationships (at least in public) between GOs shows that they are not all equal. (Reference: any staff, anywhere) While in some aspects their words are holy writ, in much of their daily duty they have very little power to make changes. Everyone gets a say, so consensus building logically takes time. You better get it cleared with your boss and your bosses boss and the the lawyer, etc. or else your neck is on the line... this manifests in bureaucratic delay and stagnation of decisions, at the worst case it shows up as risk aversion. Rarely are "go-do" orders so easily given, thus change is slow. This reality can be frustrating for the young.

For the most part it's good that change is slow (ironically) because we have a lack of depth, experience, and real education out there at those ranks. Yes, people have been to the schools, but many retain little and few are genuine experts (not to mention the wide variety on quality of the school experience). We use variance of assignments to get people "experience" thereby producing an effect that broader and broader officers are seemingly always in charge, always getting their feet wet. General Officers are for the most part exactly that: generalists, by design. Some communities have taken this to the extreme, my own included, in making younger and younger officers as broad as possible - with the result being a lack of depth in the general population, but especially at the senior ranks, again with few exceptions (WOs - take a look at how many MAF GO WOs there are out there...). 

That reality is only further exasterbated by the fact that we don't expect pilots to just be pilots, nor do we reward, promote, or encourage expertise in that narrowest of measures. We evaluate and promote everything else, and what gets measured gets done. We've done this to ourselves, simply by allowing it to be accepted as the norm. 

You fix the morale problem with a focus on what matters - job performance and mission accomplishment. And I don't mean job performance like as in "Captain X, who is scheduler # 12 is really good, I think he's our CGOQ..." I mean take a look at who the best is in their primary job - start with the flyers and work your way from there. Stop with the "well all he did was fly missions, no volunteer hours or anything in self-improvement." That's how you reinvigorate the squadrons. MAF dudes - how many units out there have a "top hauler" or "top boom" award for the most missions/tonnage flown, hours flown, or gas passed in a month/qtr/year? My guess is few to none - I've never seen it. That speaks volumes when everyone knows who the Volunteer of the Qtr is for the wing because they have a parking spot at the commissary....

Now then, as for the bonus - I tell guys to follow their hearts, do what's right for the family. And I don't mean the USAF family. I've had a lot of success in my career, and struggled as much as I've done well. I earned a divorce out of it, and don't have kids. As an "old" major, about to be sq/cc, that makes me the oddball. I have a wonderful woman in my life now and that's made me reevaluate what and how I operate. But I don't wish the lousy parts on anyone. I nonetheless have no regrets, even though I'm facing a one-year remote amid a budding relationship. 

But my situation is not the norm, and I take that into account when advising my guys. If you come for career advice, you'll get it with the bark on - that's what you're owed for asking. And some people don't like hearing they're not the best or that they should pursue other endeavors. While I won't temper my fire, I've never scoffed anyone who wanted out or to take care of their family. I won't. My own experience made the difference, and I'm not sitting here chugging blue kool-aide. You must do what's right for you, regardless of if it aligns with big blue's plan....

This problem is bigger than the O-6 to O-8 crowd indicted in the post above... and none of us can change it alone. You'll never push over the wall, but if you try you can find loose bricks...

Chuck

Edited by Chuck17
Clarity, spelling
  • Upvote 13