Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

And you know this from your experience as an airline pilot? Or from your experience trolling this site (and also APC under "gilligan13") as a weird mil-aviation fanboy?

The only thing missing from your post Scoobs was a reference to how much happier people are over at "Air Warriors". Step up your game!

Haha, APC is a good forum. I would also recommend jetcareers and flightinfo.com. Airlines are a lot like the military. Furloughs, high divorce, and lots of time away from home. Throw in bankruptcy,working holidays, nights and weekends. Oh and pay cuts. Edited by scoobs

Haha, APC is a good forum. I would also recommend jetcareers and flightinfo.com. Airlines are a lot like the military. Furloughs, high divorce, and lots of time away from home. Throw in bankruptcy,working holidays, nights and weekends. Oh and pay cuts.

What is your mil and/or aviation background?

• Upvote 4

Sooo . . . We've gone through the standard round of sniping back and forth over the relative virtues of taking the bonus, and we're about a month past the bonus being offered. I'm confident that bonus eligibles have gotten more than enough advice, whether they want it or not. Seems like by now most eligibles probably have a pretty good idea what direction they'll go. Questions:

- Has anybody on this forum taken the bonus this FY--or is planning to?

- Can anybody currently in an operational flying squadron give some insight into the current mood among crew dawgs WRT taking the bonus?

I plan to sign an ARP contract; at this point it will most likely be the RPA cross-flow option to 20 YAS (a choice that merely maximizes "economic rent" already being paid by the USAF).

The MC-12 squadrons have already made the majority of their collective feelings known during the VSP offering. The remaining crew dawgs are living about as much uncertainty as one can find in the rated community these days. There are few left to take the bonus, but those that did not VSP can be expected to take it in some fashion, but there are a handful of known exceptions.

With a number of pilots accepting VSP just prior to their ARP eligibility, the ARP numbers should be slightly bolstered without denoting any consensus shift. This could be quantified, but the only ones with all that data probably don't see the value in understanding it.

Bendy

Looks like AFPC has posted ARP take rates through 27 Apr. It can be found at:

http://access.afpc.af.mil/vbinDMZ/broker.exe?_program=DEMOGPUB.static_reports.sas&_service=pZ1pub1&_debug=0

Overall take rate thus far for FY15 initial eligibles is 44.3% (329 takers out of 743 eligibles). Funny thing is that 283 of those takers signed early contracts in FY14--only 46 new contracts signed for initial pilot eligibles since the bonus details were released a month ago. Bottom line, the response to the new bonus offering seems underwhelming, but five months remain in the FY. The below stats could change dramatically in that time.

Take rates by pilot community are (in ascending order):

Fighter (11F): 35.4%

Bomber (11B): 42.9%

Mobility (11M): 45.5%

SOF (11S): 46.3%

Unmanned (11U): 46.3%

C2ISR (11R): 53.8%

Rescue (11H): 71.4%

Notes:

-- The two communities with the largest numbers of eligibles (11M & 11F) have two of the three lowest take rates thus far

-- The reason for low take rates wouldn't seem to be processing time, since Rescue is already at 71%

TT

I bit, but I'm at school right now anyway, so why not. It's an extra 2 years on top of school commitment, but I'm curious as to why, in Rescue, we have a take rate so much higher than everyone. I love our mission, and I have always worked with good people. We're busy though, and that's not changing anytime soon. Curious... I can't wait to get away from Maxwell...

• Upvote 1

I feel that the Huey take rates are driving up the numbers a bit as well. Time away from family (outside of alert) is pretty low and deployments are hard to come by now that the Mi-17 gigs are slowing down. IMO those combine to make a high job satisfaction and high retention rates.

Probably also helps that that the community is small (sets)--only 35 total eligibles from all the rescue communities, so 2 or 3 takers move the needle pretty significantly. The HC-130J helped--4/4 takers; unsurprising, since I'm sure they got initial qual ADSCs. The Rescue community has always had a healthy take rate, though.

Funny thing is, the SOF take rate is pretty low so far, whereas they historically have had a high take rate, too. Seems like they've had a downward trend over the last few years. Cannon effect, perhaps?

I bit, but I'm at school right now anyway, so why not. It's an extra 2 years on top of school commitment, but I'm curious as to why, in Rescue, we have a take rate so much higher than everyone. I love our mission, and I have always worked with good people. We're busy though, and that's not changing anytime soon. Curious... I can't wait to get away from Maxwell...

Why wouldn't a Huey driver at Fairchild not take the bonus to be in AETC, live in the Pacific Northwest, and occasionally rescue a SERE student or stranded hiker?

Couldn't tell from reading the report...does it count FY14 takers who signed extensions to 20 YAS as new contracts?

Dunno, but that would be kinda funny if FY14 takers who signed extensions were counted as new contracts:

- 7/8 of the total contracts were already committed via FY14 early contracts

- If a substantial number of the remaining 1/8 were in fact FY14 early contract folks who renegotiated terms, then the take rate since they released the bonus a month ago would look pretty dismal indeed

At 44% take rate, all the ARP program has done is offer extra pay to those who plan to stay anyway.

No but there are opportunities out there flying helos. I'm one of those Huey guys at Fairchild that hasn't taken the bonus. The problem is after Spokane there's not really any good assignments and you'll eventually end up in global strike.

Saw the FY15 ARP take rate chart (on AFPC personnel statistics site, static reports section).

Fascinatingly dismal.

Unlike most years the program was released this year with months for people to make decisions. I would hold judgement until September and see what the rate is then.