Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

• 3 weeks later...

Sort of, but probably not the way you're hoping.

CZTE is month-to-month; the fact that you're on a 365 is irrelevant*, except for the month of payment. During that month, your pay is exempted up to the CZTE limit for officers (based on the highest enlisted pay + HFP).

So, to the extent your normal pay is below that limit, you'll get an additional exemption on the bonus payment up to the limit. The bulk of the bonus payment is taxable income.

If you're not already maxing out your TSP, you could use your bonus as a tax deferred contribution to avoid paying current-year taxes on it (whether or not you're in CZTE status).

*a 365 certainly is relevant from your overall tax liability; while the bulk of your bonus will be taxable income, your overall tax liability for the year will be very low, since most of your income is exempt (I'm assuming your military wages are your primary income; if not, the advantage remains but will be proportional)

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure 53% will end up the final number...TBD...

Anyone happen to know what the final number was?

Also, if I remember correctly last year there was no bonus offer for those who had passed on the initial bonus whereas in the past it was offered (albeit at a lesser amount). I was curious what the logic was behind that and if that will remain the same in the future. Thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Heard a rumor the other day that the AF did a study and found out that they could offer a $1 million bonus and it would actually still be cheaper than if a pilot separated. I don't know if that is true, but interesting non the less.

I personally don't think the political climate or the willingness of the AF is there to raise the bonus. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we are going to keep driving straight into the iceberg.

• 1 month later...

Noticed the ACP link isn't on MyPers. Wonder if they've taken it down because they don't plan on offering the bonus this year. I mean, if you think about it...why should we have to pay pilots to stay in when they should be fueled by an inherent desire to serve and fly for the Air Force? /GC

• Upvote 1

Noticed the ACP link isn't on MyPers. Wonder if they've taken it down because they don't plan on offering the bonus this year. I mean, if you think about it...why should we have to pay pilots to stay in when they should be fueled by an inherent desire to serve and fly for the Air Force? /GC

It will come...probably same time frame as last year. Perhaps expanded # of "take" years for RPAs (same as 11Fs).

Heard a rumor the other day that the AF did a study and found out that they could offer a $1 million bonus and it would actually still be cheaper than if a pilot separated. I don't know if that is true, but interesting non the less.

I personally don't think the political climate or the willingness of the AF is there to raise the bonus. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we are going to keep driving straight into the iceberg.

Funny how rumors get started. Where the fuck did you hear this? No, the AF never did any such study. Gen Selva wrote a paper when he was at ACSC saying that they should get rid of flight pay and bonuses. Then put 1 Million Dollars in an escrow account when you graduate UPT. It collects interest over your career and you only get it if you finish out your 20. If you separate early it is GONE! That would be cheaper.

Edited by Butters

It will come...probably same time frame as last year. Perhaps expanded # of "take" years for RPAs (same as 11Fs).

I'll take "Things that won't dent the pilot retention problem" for $1000, Trebek..

• Upvote 3

$50K /year for 5 years, anyone? Would it change your mind? Hardly a drop in the bucket.

Our next TDY is about 2 weeks long and has us flying out of an air base a couple hours drive from the base I am stationed. The Air Force is refusing to stand up a dining hall for the 1000 people it is sending there. Rather, they are providing us a pile of MREs and $3.50 a day, saying that they aren't required to provide anything more than that. I would be more likely to stay in if they took that $50k/yr and provided a minimum quality of life greater than a bare mattress and an MRE. Lacking that basic promise, they can shove that money up their ass.

• Downvote 1

I've had a lot of fun at exercises where I slept in the hangar and ate MREs. If it's good enough for the grunts of the world, I'm fine with it. If your exercise is joint, plan to check your attitude at the door or you're going to make a really sh@tty impression.

As to the question, $50k for five years would be more tempting. $50k to 20 years would be much harder to ignore. Throw in some free MREs...

• Upvote 1

Our next TDY is about 2 weeks long and has us flying out of an air base a couple hours drive from the base I am stationed. The Air Force is refusing to stand up a dining hall for the 1000 people it is sending there. Rather, they are providing us a pile of MREs and $3.50 a day, saying that they aren't required to provide anything more than that. I would be more likely to stay in if they took that $50k/yr and provided a minimum quality of life greater than a bare mattress and an MRE. Lacking that basic promise, they can shove that money up their ass.

First world problems.

• Upvote 1

$50K /year for 5 years, anyone? Would it change your mind? Hardly a drop in the bucket.

I fucking hate my job, but a quarter million is significant money. I'd still leave for a good deal contractor job, but that 250k would keep me from jumping to the guard or reserve if those were my best options. If I could have it all upfront, I might even stay on AD instead of promoting myself to the exalted rank of Mister.

:vomit:

This is why the other services call us whiny pussies.

If you're eating MREs for more than a day, you'll need an emoticon thats violently expelling matter from a different orifice. That said, don't whine in front of the other services, they're probably getting their pay docked to pay for those MREs.

• Upvote 1

Someone always has it better, someone always has it worse. Having had my fair share of MREs and I would not be looking forward to eating MREs for two weeks. For all the talk about not being a pussy, I bet if you were in the same spot you'd whine to one of your friends at some point during those two weeks.

Everyone gets out for their own reasons. Eating MREs for two weeks isn't going to push anyone out, but I'm pretty sure it won't help keep anyone in either.

And you all wonder why there is a rift between those who fly and those who don't. Hmmmm.....