Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Where is the info posted? I'm part of the no-take crowd and personally know more people passing on the bonus than taking it, but that kind of observation is worthless in the grand scheme of things. I'm interested how it shakes out with all the sport-bitching lately. I still think the per-year $$ will go up next year, since it finally can. I just keep seeing a lot of bros posting pics of their new Southwest, Delta, etc jets on Facebook.

http://access.afpc.af.mil/vbinDMZ/broker.exe?_program=DEMOGPUB.static_reports.sas&_service=pZ1pub1&_debug=0

Scroll to the bottom to the [RETENTION] section and select MDSACPSUMMARY.

It seems that only Hueys and F-35s are happy pilots these days and have a take rate that exceeds the non-take rate. Everyone else is hovering around a 20-30% take rate. And the FY15 numbers aren't better.

Edited by stract

When is the deadline for eligibles to decide to take or not to take? Perhaps the majority of eligibles are still holding their cards close. Some of the heavy non-take rates are in the high 90s - yikes!

My notification says 30 Sep is the deadline.

Edited by tac airlifter

I'm not surprised to see the take rates so low. And I'm willing to bet that there won't be a significant improvement in the take rate during the next four weeks. In my previous squadron, dudes who were approved for VSP were treated like they won the lottery, while dudes who took the bonus were ridiculed because no one with a signed ARP agreement was approved to VSP.

And this year, unlike in years past, dudes who passed on the initial bonus are now offered nothing. Nada. Not one penny of the previously offered $125-225K. It's as if Big Blue is saying "I see that you had commitment issues during your two month eligibility window. Want to reconsider? Go fvck yourself."

2014 taught those approaching the end of their commitment that taking the bonus will bring you 5 additional years of misery, while not taking it will make you a top candidate for an early exit with a huge severance check. And now Big Blue either doesn't see a retention issue or understand why one exists?

I know there are some smart people on the HAF staff, which begs the question: why are we the only ones to see it for what it is?

-9-

Edited by Nineline

LOL at the handful of people to take the FY15 bonus a year early. There's a sucker born every minute.

Well, re-read my comments a page or two ago about dudes whose ADSC expires EARLY in FY15. Before this year, guys with those circumstances who wanted to take the bonus and were eligible for 9 years of cash money got screwed out of ~$12K because AFPC would wait until halfway through the FY to offer the bonus.

My ENJJPT ADSC expires in December of this year, so I'll get my bonus well before I would have if I had to wait until summer of next year.

With a training ADSC that takes me to January of 2020, I'll gladly take the $225k for something I was planning on doing anyway.

I don't feel like a sucka, bro. But if you think I am, well...that's just your opinion, man...

• Upvote 3

Beat me to it Ram. Why wouldn't you take the $ if you're planning on staying anyway? I know some think the bonus may increase next year, but I wasn't willing to bet $12K on that one.

And you call yourself a fighter pilot? Have you never been to Vegas? $12K on that is the surest bet in the history of the ACP. You think a year from now when it's $35K/yr that it will be a "coincidence" that they offered early this year? You take our "leadership" at face value far too easily.

Source? That would look pretty shady. Either way, I've been in long enough to know how the game works and I won't be too pissed about receiving $225K for something I was planning on doing anyway. I've had a lot of bitches about the AF over the past 15 years but pay has never been one of them.

I get it, kind of. But with all the on/off of force retention programs and all, what exactly is your basis for "trusting" our leadership? I passed on the bonus for the guard so I'm biased, but I think it's a bit fishy that "all of a sudden" this option showed up. If anyone thinks, in a climate of extreme fiscal belt-tightening, that our leadership is going to hook up the bros at extra cost to the DoD and taxpayer, I have some ocean-front property near Luke AFB that I'd like to sell you sight unseen.

Beat me to it Ram. Why wouldn't you take the $ if you're planning on staying anyway? I know some think the bonus may increase next year, but I wasn't willing to bet $12K on that one.

Because freedom to walk away from an assignment or deployment you don't want is worth $18k a year after taxes.

Well, re-read my comments a page or two ago about dudes whose ADSC expires EARLY in FY15. Before this year, guys with those circumstances who wanted to take the bonus and were eligible for 9 years of cash money got screwed out of ~$12K because AFPC would wait until halfway through the FY to offer the bonus.

My ENJJPT ADSC expires in December of this year, so I'll get my bonus well before I would have if I had to wait until summer of next year.

With a training ADSC that takes me to January of 2020, I'll gladly take the $225k for something I was planning on doing anyway.

I don't feel like a sucka, bro. But if you think I am, well...that's just your opinion, man...

Usually I think Karl is way too negative, but I think I agree with him on this point. I think you were a sucker to take the bonus. I know you, and you are intelligent, competent, and in an organization that will waste your talents. You have colleagues at Standford Business School, with full time gigs in the guard and reserves, and starting what will someday be extremely cush jobs in the airlines. Because you are not a patch wearer, you will spend the next 10 years wallowing while doing things like:

-wing jobs (Yes sir, I'd love to be the chief of IGI!)

-getting passed over for O-6 because of your lack of staff experience (thanks 11F)

-a 365s as the OSS/CC to Djubouti (the Died... etc)

You will be 43 years old at 20 years in looking at the exact same decision about whether or not to fly for Delta with a pension check that will barely feed and house your family (assuming you don't get fired at 18 based on trumped up bullshit your WG/CC decides is unacceptable). You will fly less, see your family less, and be more vulnerable to deploy to shitty assignments. You had the potential to do anything you wanted, but chose not to for an extra $18k a year after taxes. The bonus, as I see it, is an awesome deal only for those who have no potential to succeed outside the military.

Holy shit balls. Dudes are getting paid serious cash money to continue doing what they were going to do anyway and catching shit?

Here's my $3.50, take the money. Use some of it to take a trip to Thailand and have the time of your life, you'll have plenty left over. While there, rejoice in the fact that you've got one of the most coveted jobs in the world and that you got paid two Maseratis to keep doing it. Also know that this good deal will absolutely not last forever.

It's doubtful there will be another manned fighter, after or before the F-35. And wait until space and cyber guys realize how much money is on the outside and get sick of the Air Force's flight pay and retention bonuses for a job that will have people lining up at the doors without it.

Easy call, take the money.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!