Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

Yes, the bonus is in there.

Subtitle B Bonuses and Special and Incentive Pays. The bill would reauthorize over 30 types of bonuses and special pays aimed at encouraging enlistment, reenlistment, and continued service by active-duty and reserve component military personnel.

Found it in the text earlier and the only change is 2011 from 2010.

So, you get the bonus and $5.47 billion for missile procurement, which is $7.7 million above the requested amount;

Edited by Butters

So, is it a good idea to invest your ACP into the TSP....

or, is there something better.

Remember there is a limit to what you can contribute to the TSP annually. Most say to max out your contributions to TSP, so if you do that already the bonus will not matter, if you do not max out monthly you can catch up by adding you bonus to it.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.af.mil/ne...sp?id=123239974

1/26/2011 - RANDOLPH AIR FORCE BASE, Texas (AFNS) -- Air Force officials announced their plans Jan. 26 for the fiscal 2011 Aviator Continuation Pay program to help retain active-duty pilots and combat-systems officers who are trained as remotely piloted aircraft pilots.

The ACP program allows some active-duty, rated aviators to qualify for a monetary bonus in exchange for a service-commitment-contract agreement. Officials aim to retain those pilots who are approaching the end of their initial undergraduate flying training commitment as well as uncommitted pilots and eligible combat systems officers in the 12U Air Force specialty, who are trained as RPA pilots and have fewer than 13 years of service.

"This year's ACP Program is designed to retain eligible rated officers and stabilize the force today and in the future in response to supporting Air Force and joint-warfighter missions," said Col. David Slade, the Air Force Personnel Center's assignments director. "It also serves as a continued commitment to the development of critical skills in support of emerging technologies."

Although ACP is still necessary because there is a critical shortage in some rated career fields, this year's ACP program applies to a smaller pool of eligible candidates than in the past.

"Although we are undermanned in some rated career fields, the success of past ACP programs as well as record high retention has resulted in a smaller ACP program than usual," said Maj. Eric Weber, of the force management office for Air Force Manpower and Personnel

Career fields that have stabilized include air-battle managers and combat-systems operators. Therefore, air battle managers and non-RPA categorized CSOs are not eligible for ACP in fiscal 2011, based on the health of their career fields.

The fiscal 2011 ACP program offers two agreement options for rated officers. They include a five-year contract for initial-eligible pilots and three-, four- and five-year contracts for uncommitted pilots and CSOs operating as 12U RPA pilots. Annual ACP values are $25,000 for initial-eligible pilots and $15,000 for uncommitted-eligible pilots and 12U RPA pilots.

Air Reserve component officers are not eligible under this program, but are eligible under separate Air Force Reserve Command and Air National Guard programs.

This year's ACP program is in effect until Sept. 30.

"This year's ACP program is in effect until Sept. 30."

When do you actually become eligible for the bonus? If you had a UPT graduation date of 25 Sep, would you only have 5 days to decide to take the bonus or are you eligible now and have to decide before 30 Sep?

"This year's ACP program is in effect until Sept. 30."

When do you actually become eligible for the bonus? If you had a UPT graduation date of 25 Sep, would you only have 5 days to decide to take the bonus or are you eligible now and have to decide before 30 Sep?

You're not eligible until your commitment is up. In your example you can make your decision at any time, but you can't accept the bonus until 25 Sep.

Quick question someone asked me yesterday... What happens if, say, you're UPT commitment expires June 1st 2011, but you have a tuition assistance commitment that expires in Dec 11. When do you get the bonus?

June.

ACP doesn't have anything to do with tuition assistance.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

To know if it's going up, all you have to do is read the versions of the proposed changes to the NDAA. If neither the Senate or House are pushing an increase, I doubt that someone is going to suddenly fight for one at the last second. From what I saw, the bonus authority for the services is just going to get extended a year, not go up. The bonus and aviation pay text is located in Title 37 section 334 C 1 B.

• 2 months later...

From the FY 10 report:

"Unfortunately, because of the transition from the 8 to 10 year active duty service commitment, our pilot bonus leading indicator is of very limited value this year. Only 34 post pilot training pilots were eligible for the bonus in FY10. The good news is the take rate was 76%. The bad news is the population is too small to infer any continuing trends. In FY11 there are 200 initial eligible pilots and FY12 that number will increase again to the more typical 700+."

Here is the last 10 year's worth:

FY01 30%

FY02 47%

FY03 65%

FY04 70%

FY05 65%

FY06 66%

FY07 67%

FY08 68%

FY09 65%

FY10 76%

Edited for table failure.

Edited by Jaded

Here ya go, from the same FY10 report:

FY90 38%

FY91 40%

FY92 69%

FY93 79%

FY94 81%

FY95 76%

FY96 58%

FY97 35%

FY98 28%

FY99 42%

FY00 32%

The FY11 numbers would be interesting, even if it is from a small sample.

Here ya go, from the same FY10 report:

FY90 38%

FY91 40%

FY92 69%

FY93 79%

FY94 81%

FY95 76%

FY96 58%

FY97 35%

FY98 28%

FY99 42%

FY00 32%

The FY11 numbers would be interesting, even if it is from a small sample.

Thanks...I knew my group wasn't 42%, I had to work the math again, I took the bonus in Nov 1999, so I was actually in the FY00 group. What is not said above is the smaller size of the FY99-02 year groups. Backing up eight years those year groups translate to folks that went through UPT in FY90-93, those were huge draw down years where UPT production was cut from over 1000 pilots per year to less than 500, so the lower take rate is magnified.

I also remember talking to a dude at ACSC in 2003, who was working on the Fighter Porch and at that point and time that bonus take rate was so low there were only 17 active duty F-16 pilots left in the 90 year group.

I think I have some old e-mail traffic at home (on the road for a few weeks), talking about a sub-30% take rate and the implications, does the report say what they needed by year to break even? Does the report break down the options selected? I think you could take three years, five years, through 20 years of service or through 25 years of service. As I recall a lot of people took the five year option.

Within the last year I personally heard a very senior officer say....actually it would be better if I paraphrase...it was implied that if they don't get the take rate they want, Stop Loss is an acceptable retention tool...

Edited by ClearedHot

• 1 month later...
Guest redhedstud

For those who are experts in ACP, I was hoping someone could answer a question for someone who has a non-standard situation. I am an AMC pilot eligible for the initial eligible or the uncommitted eligible bonus.

1.I am VRAD member, permanent recall to Active duty; thus, I have no pilot training commitment (would otherwise be under ADSC until 2015). Yes, I know it’s strange, but I don’t have a UPT commitment.

2.Does this make me an uncommitted eligible pilot?

a. If I took this bonus I could only take it for 3 years (15 year 365 days would get me)

b. But eligible this summer

3.I am eligible in Oct 2013 to get the Initial Eligible (9 years YAS)

a.I could take this bonus for the full 5 years (no 15 year 365 day limit)

So does anyone know if, since I seem to be eligible for the uncommitted bonus, and I don’t accept the uncommitted in order to wait for the initial eligible, will I still be eligible for the initial eligible bonus? I may be mixing apples and oranges here, but I have not seen any clear guidance on a situation like mine, since I may be the only guy in this situation. According to all the regs and other notices sent out, I appear to be eligible for the initial; but I fear that when I go to apply they will say “well, we didn’t intend on you doing that!” Any ideas?

Edited by ClearedHot

Here are the definitions of eligible. Hope it helps.

Eligibility: Initial-eligible and uncommitted-eligible pilots are able to request and execute ACP agreements in FY12 just as they did in the FY11 program. Fighter WSOs completing their initial Undergraduate Flying Training (UFT) ADSC are eligible. Also, CSOs who hold a 12U AFSC (RPA pilot) and meet the outlined criteria are eligible under the FY12 program. The FY12 program does not include eligibility provisions for Air Battle Managers (ABM) or non-RPA/ non-fighter CSOs.

The eligibility requirements listed below will be detailed in the HQ/AFPC FY12 ACP Program Personnel Services Delivery Memorandum (PSDM).

Initial-Eligible Pilot Definition. Eligible for this option are those pilots who meet the following criteria:

Initial-eligible pilots are those whose Active Duty Service Commitment (ADSC) for Undergraduate Pilot Training (UPT) expires in or before FY12 and/or who reach years of aviation service (YAS) equal to their UPT ADSC plus one year and one day in or before FY12, whichever occurs later. For example, if a pilot completes their ADSC for UPT in FY2012, but will not reach 11 YAS as a pilot until after FY2012 (i.e., due to temporary disqualification), then the pilot is ineligible for ACP in FY2012 under this option.

Initial-Eligible Fighter WSO Definition. Eligible for this option are those Fighter WSOs who meet the following criteria:

Initial-eligible WSOs are those whose Active Duty Service Commitment (ADSC) for Undergraduate Combat Systems Officer Training (UCSOT) expires in or before FY12 and/or who reach years of aviation service (YAS) equal to their UCSOT ADSC plus one year and one day in or before FY12, whichever occurs later. For example, if a WSO completes their ADSC for UCSOT in FY2012, but will not reach 7 YAS as a CSO until after FY2012 (i.e., due to temporary disqualification), then the WSO is ineligible for ACP in FY2012 under this option. Fighter WSOs must hold a 12F AFSC.

Uncommitted-Pilot and RPA CSO Eligibility Definition. Eligible for this option are those pilots and RPA CSOs who meet the following criteria:

Lt Col or below, rated, not grounded (Note: Colonel (O-6) Selects are not eligible)

Less than or equal to 12 years, 364 days TAFMS as of 30 Sep 12 and can enter into a 3-, 4- or 5-year contract (not to exceed 15 years, 364 days TAFMS)

Never been under ACP contract or received ACP payment (based on records back to 1993)

Inter-service Transfers (IST) and Permanent Recalls under the Voluntary Recall to Active Duty (VRAD) program are eligible only if their accession ADSC incurred as a result of the IST or VRAD has expired or will expire during FY12. Limited Recalls are not eligible. These officers will never be considered as “initial-eligible” officers.

Completed UFT commitment (8 or 10 year ADSC for pilots and 6 years for CSOs)

CSOs must hold a 12U AFSC (RPA Pilot)

Agreement Types:

Initial-Eligible Pilots: Initial eligible pilots (other than 11F/11U) will be offered one type of agreement with a 5-year ADSC at $25K per year, payable in equal annual installments.

Initial-Eligible RPA and Fighter Pilots: Initial eligible RPA and Fighter pilots will be offered two types of agreements; one with a 5-year ADSC at $25K per year, payable in equal annual installments, or the option to take 50% of the value upfront and the remainder paid in annual installments. The first payment will be $62,500 and remaining payments will be $15,625 annually.

Initial-Eligible fighter WSOs: 12F WSOs will be offered one type of agreement with a 5-year ADSC at $15K per year, payable in equal annual installments.

CSO-Eligible: 12U CSOs will be offered an agreement with a 3-year, 4-year, or 5-year ADSC at $15K per year, payable in equal annual installments.

Uncommitted-Eligible Pilots: Uncommitted eligible pilots will be offered an agreement with a 3-year, 4-year, or 5-year ADSC at $15K per year, payable in equal annual installments.

Just got this email:

Leaders;

In an effort to keep your personnel informed, I wanted to pass along the details of the FY12 Aviator Continuation Pay (ACP) which was signed by SAF/MR late Feb. I know this program is of great interest and importance to your aviators and wanted to ensure you, and your officers have full access to ACP immediately. AFPC officially opened ACP on 13 Mar and is getting positive feedback in the form of numerous applications.

FY12 added some new options and new eligible categories. There are five categories/options:

. Initial eligible RPA/Fighter pilots (11U/11F) 5-yr @ $25K/yr (50% up front)

. All other initial eligible pilots (11X) 5-yr @ $25K/yr

. Initial eligible Fighter WSOs (12F) 5-yr @ $15K/yr

. Eligible CSOs (12U RPA pilot only) 3, 4, 5-yr @ $15K/yr

. Uncommitted eligible pilots (11X) 3, 4, 5-yr @ $15K/yr

This program targets the critical shortages in RPA and fighter career fields by incentivizing the bonus with a 50% up front option and offering to initial eligible 12Fs for the first time since FY05. This year there are 873 pilots eligible which is the first full year group with a 10 yr ADSC. The last two years have had very few eligibles (FY10 - 34, FY11 - 201), yet high take rates (FY10 - 76%, FY11 - 70%). Consequently, this year's take rate will provide significant insights into the effectiveness of the program and future health of our rated community. Please help me spread the word on this year's plan as we know many eligible officers are deployed, serving in joint assignments and may not get the word right away.

Program details can be found at

https://gum-crm.csd.disa.mil/app/answers/detail/a_id/5111/p/8,9

And via

PSDM at https://gum-crm.csd.disa.mil/app/answers/detail/a_id/21655

Two things:

1) CSO Bonus: There was a follow up message that re-stricted the inital e-mail...basically, it only applies to WSO's (I will not call them a CSO) that winged in FY06 so their initial commitment is up right meow....lots of pissed off WSO's on all other year groups....mother AF says our WSO's are so undermanned that you are not leaving the cockpit for the foreseeable future and guys are getting non-vol'd to go Ops-to-Ops (guys are jiggy with being deployed on a 1-2 dwell for 2 Ops tours in a row), but they didn't feel they were so under-manned to offer the bonus to more people.

2) Don't ever feel like you are "too close to get out"....I'm getting out with 15 years an a line number to Lt Col, but I will be damned if I am going to stay in and get short notice fucked for the next 5.69 years at the expense of my wife and two young kiddo's 6 and under....the growing up years are too precious to be gone all the time....and with more of my buddy's getting tagged for MC-12's / UAV's, Safety investigations / AOC 365's or just being gone 6 months with <12 home, I just don't like what the short term looked like, so I punched....and couldn't be happier with my decision!

Cheers,

Cap-10

• Upvote 5

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what the ballpark amount is that gets deposited on the 25k bonus after taxes...assuming normal joe major with nothing extra, handful of kids...yea yea i know it's different taxes but in general - 20k? 18k? after taxes...

Not the same withholding rate as your normal wages. Flat 25%--i.e., the $25K bonus will be a $18,750 deposit. How much of that is actually paid as tax will be determined by your specific situation and comes out in the wash when you file your taxes.

ETA: That 25% is federal; if you are subject to state withholding, that amount will be in addition to the 25%.

Edited by Jughead

Anyone know what the ballpark amount is that gets deposited on the 25k bonus after taxes...assuming normal joe major with nothing extra, handful of kids...yea yea i know it's different taxes but in general - 20k? 18k? after taxes...

$17,500.05 YMMV

$17,500.05 YMMV

The difference is you are (apparently) subject to a state income tax dictating a 5% flat witholding in addition to the federal 25%. As with the federal, how much of that 5% is actually a tax payment will vary with your particular tax filing.

To the OP: I should have mentioned in my reply that state withholding--if you are subject to a state income tax withholding--will affect the answer, as Learjetter indicates....

• 2 weeks later...

Gen Fogleman said he sits on a panel with the chief operating officers of the four largest airlines in the United States. "They tell me that within the next five to 10 years, there are going to be about 10,000 airline pilots retiring," he explained. He continued, "I think the United States Air Force is going to have a hell of a fight on its hands trying to retain pilots in that period of time."

There's just so much agenda in that statement I don't know where to begin.

COO's of the airlines are fighting to the death against the 1500 hour rule, which as much as anything is a labor protectionist measure every bit as much as it's concerned with safety.

Gen Fogleman of course has his finger on the pulse of the military, and Air Force manning in particular. So when he leaves a boardroom where everybody is hyperventilating, it stands to reason that he would be concerned about the impact on mil-pilot retention. But that's only to say that he's got his eye on another labor-protectionist issue as well: the military one.

Get rid of the 1500 hour rule, airlines can continue to soak up starving regional FO's that are willing to live in ghetto crash pads and make $16k/yr while the pilots that the military generates can continue to believe that life is better inside the walls of the safe and secure asylum that they are so accustomed to.

144k ATPs. Pilot shortage? Really? That's why I'm shopping around for a good B-school after I hang up the flight suit; Washington will accomodate the airline executives who are telling them that the sky is falling, sooner or later.

Edit to add: the average age of the ATP holder has gone up 3 years in the last decade. So there's no denying that the retirement wave is going to happen.

Edited by BFM this

So, I'm a recently passed over Capt and expect to be passed over again next year and was told that a continuation was probable, my question is would I get The Bonus when my committment is up?

I'm looking at all options right now and have been looking at Palace Chase to at least get established in life after AD. Here's the kicker, I was told by a buddy in the squadron, also a recently passed over Capt, that he asked the CC about the possibility of Palace Chase and was told that he would be denied because he is too valuable and we are hurting for people. WTF!? I guess not valuable enough to fight for a DP...