Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

Kind of, you'll need a golden ticket though unless you go to a regional, then you'll nede a second job to pay the bills.

Classic scoobs-esque post. Way to catch on to the sarcasm, bud.

That's how it works...every time a dude opts out, it either gets kicked back up the chain or the base gets told to figure it out.

This is the main reason guys sometimes get < 30 days notice (I've seen it happen 3 times) for their deployment....6-9 people I front of them but the RNLTD never gets pushed to the right.

Cheers,

Cap-10

My point is that it's the process screwing those other guys over, not the guy(s) that declined the 365.

Its the fact that dudes are being deployed to be coffee-getters or briefing builders that yanks my chain. If the new Chief wants to make a change... he can start by asking the question "Are all these rated deployed billets really required?"

Spot on.

"Get the #### over it"? How many times should he be expected to "get the #### over it"? Are 4 deployments enough? 6? Should his kids also just "get the #### over it"...again? Deployments are part of the job but there comes a point in everyone's career where enough is enough and other priorities (family) are more important. To suggest that he is somehow acting out of line for opting out this time is just poor form.

True. I should not have been so flippant. Too much :beer: I guess. How much is too much? I guess it depends on the person, but who goes through to process to become a pilot without paying attention to the demands of the job? Shit, spec ops, sky cops an CE guys are gone all the time. Some pilots more than others - again part of the job. You don't just wake up one day as a UPT grad, you jump through a lot of hoops to make it happen. If you want a job where you'll be home all the time, BKIH.

You don't owe the AF shit once your time is up so if you want to punch then do so, but you should know going in that time away from home is a given. It's what we do. A year-long stretch at Shaw I was gone for 70% of the time, and our tasking was ONE. YGBSM.

Well, miracles still happen. The 365 was reclamaed (is that a word?) due to wing-wide manning and HHQ deployment taskings (watch out 11Fs, there's a 365 coming to a unit near you!). It's a good thing I didn't actually tell my leadership to "pound sand", because I'm now still on AD awaiting the ACP release again like everyone else on here. However, now that I've shown my hand to my chain of command (showing them I'm not a "team player" by threatening to get out when faced with a 365), I am feeling somewhat vulnerable when it comes to my next assignment out of here. Thanks for all the well wishes on here.

• Upvote 1

However, now that I've shown my hand to my chain of command (showing them I'm not a &quot;team player&quot; by threatening to get out when faced with a 365), I am feeling somewhat vulnerable when it comes to my next assignment out of here.

If you have questions about UAV training feel free to pm me.

Here's my question...who is actually getting tagged with UAVs these days? I'd be interested to hear the breakdown of the experience level. I know a lot if the guys in my 2001 year group that are not coming near the bonus only for the fear of getting tagged with a UAV. Are MWS IP/EPs getting UAV assignments?? I think I could deal with a 365, but getting yanked out of the cockpit scares me more.

Edited by Techsan

Here's my question...who is actually getting tagged with UAVs these days? I'd be interested to hear the breakdown of the experience level. I know a lot if the guys in my 2001 year group that are not coming near the bonus only for the fear of getting tagged with a UAV. Are MWS IP/EPs getting UAV assignments?? I think I could deal with a 365, but getting yanked out of the cockpit scares me more.

My previous squadron just sent 2 IPs to UAVs. Assignment path for both went Tanker-Tanker-UAV. I think these were 04 year group guys.

My previous squadron just sent 2 IPs to UAVs. Assignment path for both went Tanker-Tanker-UAV. I think these were 04 year group guys.

This seems absolutely ridiculous to me but doesn't surprise me at all.

If you get tagged with a 6 month MC-12 TDY does that add to your ADSC at all? Anyone know?

Apparently the viper assignment porch sent zero to UAVs last VML according to the webpage.

Becuase that communities train wreck is only a few short years out.

Supposedly there's zero available this VML as well according to the porch. They just noticed the two trains going opposite direction and realize they can't stop the crash, but can put the brakes on and slow the impact a bit. AFPC, always looking ahead.

Here's my question...who is actually getting tagged with UAVs these days?...I think I could deal with a 365, but getting yanked out of the cockpit scares me more.

I haven't heard of any 11Fs getting tagged for UAVs for at least 3 years now. As for the UAV vs. 365, in my world, the time away from family is my biggest concern. But don't get me wrong, if I were single or didn't have kids, it'd be a totally different story.

RODN. I know only 2 people in the last 18 months who've gotten a follow-on tanker assignment. UAVs and UPT are running neck and neck for first place, MC-12s third and KC-135s a distant fourth. Anecdotally, my UPT peers who got 135s to other bases are all seeing the same thing. I suspect the pendulum will swing back in a couple of years when they realize they've emptied their tanker squadrons.

I've been at my squadron (C-17) only a couple months and seen two IPs and one AC (volunteered) sent to UAVs. And it looks like more are to follow, what the hell is this RPA pipeline they opened up doing, is what I want to know.

If you get tagged with a 6 month MC-12 TDY does that add to your ADSC at all? Anyone know?

I was the Wing Deployment Manager guy a year or so ago. At that time, there was NO ADSC incurred for any deployment related training, to include any flying related training.

I've been at my squadron (C-17) only a couple months and seen two IPs and one AC (volunteered) sent to UAVs. And it looks like more are to follow, what the hell is this RPA pipeline they opened up doing, is what I want to know.

It takes the betas longer to graduate down at Holloman since their syllabus is longer. The vast majority of pilots in my current squadron are UPT grads. You can count on one hand the number of MQT'd 18Xers we have. I can't speak for other squadrons.

The real question isn't "how many betas can we make", it's "how many betas can we keep"? These guys have 6 year commitments instead of 10, so they're sunk costs are lower at the decision point. 60-80 hour workweeks for years on end, mindnumbingly boring job, and better opportunities on the outside if the FAA opens the NAS to UAVs do not paint a happy picture for retention. I suspect we're pouring water into a bucket with no bottom right now.

It takes the betas longer to graduate down at Holloman since their syllabus is longer. The vast majority of pilots in my current squadron are UPT grads. You can count on one hand the number of MQT'd 18Xers we have. I can't speak for other squadrons.

The real question isn't "how many betas can we make", it's "how many betas can we keep"? These guys have 6 year commitments instead of 10, so they're sunk costs are lower at the decision point. 60-80 hour workweeks for years on end, mindnumbingly boring job, and better opportunities on the outside if the FAA opens the NAS to UAVs do not paint a happy picture for retention. I suspect we're pouring water into a bucket with no bottom right now.

Don't most AD pilots work 60-80 hour workweeks?

Not every week...

I also conquer with you. I'm currently at Creech working 6s and 3s. Right now with 8 hours in the seat, still responsible for my admin and fitness everyday. Not to mention our allotted drive of each way about 45 minutes. Not complaining, it is just the nature of the beast. This career field is currently undermanned for what we have to support.

I also conquer with you. I'm currently at Creech working 6s and 3s. Right now with 8 hours in the seat, still responsible for my admin and fitness everyday. Not to mention our allotted drive of each way about 45 minutes. Not complaining, it is just the nature of the beast. This career field is currently undermanned for what we have to support.

One more thing before everyone start throwing daggers, I'm not a beta pilot. I'm also going through my 10th year of aviation like everyone and have over 3500 hrs in the KC-135. With my chance to experience both sides, I'm telling you manning stinks right now.

Don't most AD pilots work 60-80 hour workweeks?

Not sure, probably depends on airframe. When I was a new tanker copilot with no real office responsibilities I worked* something like 40 hours most weeks. I think most pilots accept the increased hours as a necessary evil that comes with increased responsibility and rank. I think it would affect you differently if it was all you knew from the start. This beta experiment is still very much in progress and we'll see how it plays out. I suspect their going to need either BCP** to keep these guys in or the constant inflow of nonvols into UAVs will continue leading to fewer and fewer guys taking the ACP***.

*Or at least was present at work.

**Beta Continuation Pay

***In my squadron, I think about 1/3 of the people in my year group will take the money.