Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

I can't speak for the pointy-nose units, but most of the tanker units are undermanned. Lot's of guys who bailed off AD during the last mass AF pilot exodus (1999-2000) who came to the ANG are now 20-25+ years, comfortable at their airlines and don't want to be slammed with desert rotations anymore. We have literally hired people after phone interviews.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Are any of those cross-MDS?

I can't speak for the pointy-nose units, but most of the tanker units are undermanned. Lot's of guys who bailed off AD during the last mass AF pilot exodus (1999-2000) who came to the ANG are now 20-25+ years, comfortable at their airlines and don't want to be slammed with desert rotations anymore. We have literally hired people after phone interviews.Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Are any of those cross-MDS?

Yep. We have hired quite a few out of everything from bombers to recce.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Maybe try some less desirable locations to get your foot in the door? Also try to get someone to more or less sponsor you who is already in the unit.

Also not being qual'd in the airframe brings the challenge of TX courses which isn't a huge deal if you have been hanging out during drill weekends and they want to take a chance on you.

Lastly, I would say the best advice I can give is to be humble. I have a couple good stories of guys coming in who flew the F whatever or was an Evaluator in such and such or was a patch wearer or had umpty billion hours get told thanks but no thanks. Which is sad but always funny to watch people who truly have no sense of self-awareness or people skills completely embarrass themselves and shoot themselves in the foot.

Good advice.  Like I said before I've actually gone to several units and spent some time with them.  Everything was positive and I did my best to be humble and not have an attitude.  What I am seeing though is that it seems like a lot of the slots are either unofficially already filled before the process is over or they are just hiring their bros or people that they already knew from before.  I honestly can't blame anyone for doing that.  What I am saying is that it doesn't look like there are so many guard/reserve jobs out there that units can't get them all filled like some people have been saying.

We want to see the desire to be in the unit. As my spiel goes to those that visit-we look at it as if you are joining our family. 1 visit isn't going to cut it. We are also going check you thru the bro network. Think of it as rushing a frat. If we constantly see your face, then we know you really want to be part of our unit, not just shot gunning out apps and phone calls to see if anyone bites.

One of our last hires said he was stumped at the interview when we asked him to tell us something about him we didn't know. He stumbled because he had been at the squadron so much he thought he had told us everything. That's the level of determination we are looking for. We want you to be around for 10-15 or so yrs, so we are going to make sure you fit in. And you should be sure we are going to fit in for you as well. Never forget it's a 2 way relationship.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, herkbum said:

We want to see the desire to be in the unit. As my spiel goes to those that visit-we look at it as if you are joining our family. 1 visit isn't going to cut it. We are also going check you thru the bro network. Think of it as rushing a frat. If we constantly see your face, then we know you really want to be part of our unit, not just shot gunning out apps and phone calls to see if anyone bites.

One of our last hires said he was stumped at the interview when we asked him to tell us something about him we didn't know. He stumbled because he had been at the squadron so much he thought he had told us everything. That's the level of determination we are looking for. We want you to be around for 10-15 or so yrs, so we are going to make sure you fit in. And you should be sure we are going to fit in for you as well. Never forget it's a 2 way relationship.

I agree with everything you are saying.  What about the people who are on the other side of the world or can't make it to the unit more than once or not at all due to those circumstances?  What if said person has a great resume and recommendations, and your unit is in their home town? Are people like that not going to get hired?

I agree with everything you are saying.  What about the people who are on the other side of the world or can't make it to the unit more than once or not at all due to those circumstances?  What if said person has a great resume and recommendations, and your unit is in their home town? Are people like that not going to get hired?

Not just by sending a piece of paper. We want to meet you and talk to you face-to-face. The resume and recs may get you in the door, but we will not hire you based on that alone. If you are "on the other side of the world", we will talk to you on the phone and cut you some slack, but we will not hire you without meeting you. Would you?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, herkbum said:

Not just by sending a piece of paper. We want to meet you and talk to you face-to-face. The resume and recs may get you in the door, but we will not hire you based on that alone. If you are "on the other side of the world", we will talk to you on the phone and cut you some slack, but we will not hire you without meeting you. Would you?

Nope, I'm not saying that I would.  I'm just trying to drill down and figure out the process to find the truth data.  

On March 31, 2016 at 1:52 AM, pawnman said:

Constant exercises, control exerted from on-high at a level far exceeding anything in ACC, and this strange commitment to forcing people to change platforms.  Pretty much none of my B-1 bros wanted to go fly a BUFF, resulting in an email to all B-1 aviators from the wing commander questioning our patriotism and loyalty.

C-17 functional is now advertising the opportunity for us to cross flow to the BUFF. I'm guessing pawnman was right about the amount of B-1 guys who are interested in crossing over. 

12 minutes ago, Harvey said:

C-17 functional is now advertising the opportunity for us to cross flow to the BUFF. I'm guessing pawnman was right about the amount of B-1 guys who are interested in crossing over. 

Do you have to be airdrop qualified? 

13 hours ago, Harvey said:

There's a bunch of 11M dudes who have actual CAS/Air-Ground experience out at Creech. Just saying...

• Upvote 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/19/2016 at 9:04 PM, osulax05 said:

I originally posted this in the military cuts thread, but the tanker clown music overshadowed it.

Anybody have insight into this verbiage from the NDAA?

From the text:

REPORT.—Not later than February 1, 2016, the Secretary of Defense shall submit to the congressional defense committees a report setting forth the empirical case for an increase in special and incentive pay for aviation officers in order to address a specific, statistically-based retention problem with respect to such officers. The report shall include the results of a study, conducted by the Secretary in connection with the case, on a market-based compensa-tion approach to the retention of such officers that considers the pay and allowances offered by commercial airlines to pilots and the propensity of pilots to leave the Air Force to become commercial airline pilots. 

Somewhat on this, but when Leadership met with the airlines, the RAND corporation came up with this:

http://www.rand.org/pubs/research_reports/RR1412.html

Haven't read it yet but I have this picture in my mind. "Hey, so yeah, we fvcked up our retention so can maybe we like work together now? I mean it's national security stuff"

56 minutes ago, Duck said:

Haven't read it yet but I have this picture in my mind. "Hey, so yeah, we fvcked up our retention so can maybe we like work together now? I mean it's national security stuff"

Duck, you're on the right track.  It's only 40ish pages and worth the read.  On the plus side if they can't keep people in AGR slots, maybe there will be one open for me when I pull the ejection handle next year.  After 4 years in RPAs I'd take any plane at any base.

• Upvote 2

TLDR.  The USAF would love to "collaborate" with the Airlines; the Airlines have no incentive to do so.

That's acknowledged in the article. The main, feasible COA that was proposed was to hire regional pilots and accelerate pilot training for them. What the article failed to address was that future conditions are likely to create a scenario where no regional pilot is gong to consider leaving their job for 2Lt pay.

The Rand Report was painful to read.  The BL being the Airlines have no incentive to cooperate with the broke dick USAF.  Fast tracking regional dudes seems appealing until you realize flying an Embraer from Valdosta to Atlanta 3 times a day has little transferability at least to the CAF.  It seems the CSAF and HAF folks fail to realize is all people really want is choice and control of their life.  I think the renovations to the retirement program will completely change some of these manning problems with folks not holding out for the 20 year carrot. I'd also change the ADSC for UPT back to 6 years, maybe 8 years if we also move to a 4-5 year PCS cycle.  That gives someone a chance to make IP/AC in their MWS first assignment and go to another OPs for WIC/TPS consideration or ALFA to finish out their commitment.  The WIC/TPS commitment will lock in folks to another gate at 10 or 12 years of service, which could be incentivized with the bonus.

For the majority of AD pilots, at that 6-8 year point you need to make a choice, do I have enough hours for an ATP and go Airline/ARC route or take another assignment.  Unfortunately, FAIPs would have to make the decision at the end of their first OPs assignment.  With the 20 year retirement off the table we need to shift to a more frequent decision gate concept at 6, 10, 14, and 20 year points.  The bonus would still be useful, but I think you're getting the folks that were going to stay for 20 years anyways.  You could also incentivize the bonus to specific missions vice AFSC wide (ie. UPT, RPA, PIT), since you will have more frequent turnover and earlier departures from AD.  While the turnover of this proposed system may be more frequent, giving your folks more choice and control in their life should help improve service morale to something north of pretty darn good. 

• Upvote 5

I feel like the AF is going to go for the opposite and push for a 13 year UPT ADSC.

• Upvote 1

I feel like the AF is going to go for the opposite and push for a 13 year UPT ADSC. Gets