Aviation Continuation Pay (ACP - The Bonus)

Toro

Holy thread merge...thought I accidentally logged into the APC forum. Regarding the bonus, anybody know anybody at SAF/FMB (Budget)? That where this thing is stuck right now.

Whats funny about this year is it's impossible to get the ARP/ACP guy to provide any gouge...he's locked up tighter than the panties on a Saudi chick. Even caveats his email with "as a contract agent, I am unable to discuss any speculations regarding future proposals" up front.

I know one in my squadron. Got the 767 right out of training.

767? Yes. I did as a new hire. But eventually was displaced as seniority reigned during system bids.

747? There may be a pay scale for it, but the fact that someone even mentioned it as an example of realistic second year earnings shows a complete lack of understanding of the airlines.

Bad gouge. First off, no Majors are hiring right now.

Had a college friend get hired by United last week. My current airline has recently lost a few to US Air as well. But you're right, I highly doubt anyone is making 97k their first year...Maybe year two. All bets are off for the FedEx guys...year two is ridiculous.

Edit: totally missed your latest reply.

I don't doubt there are one or two here and there, but my understanding is this is non-standard.

All of our guys hired in the last wave, got the 75/76 right out of training.

FWIW...I was in a Delta jumpseat a week ago, and from the Captain (who had recently attended training) The latest numbers from Delta were 60/month for the first 6 months of 2014, then 20/month. Take that with a grain of salt.

Edited by SocialD

767? Yes. I did as a new hire. But eventually was displaced as seniority reigned during system bids.

747? There may be a pay scale for it, but the fact that someone even mentioned it as an example of realistic second year earnings shows a complete lack of understanding of the airlines.

There are a few airlines where you're guaranteed a 74 right out of the gate. United and Delta are not amongst them. Contracts ARE improving across the board however, and I don't think 97K for second year pay will be all that uncommon. Hell, even at the ACMI I work for, it's pretty much right there. There WILL be good paying jobs out there for the guys who are willing to go get them. Big Blue had better be doing their homework on this. FWIW, I think there is a good chance they have a somewhat realistic outlook and are expecting to drawdown in the coming years with the help of the hiring boom.

There are a few airlines where you're guaranteed a 74 right out of the gate.

Yeah, some cargo outfits. And they all pay for shit.

Look, anyone who thinks they are going to get out and not take a serious financial hit for a few years is not running the numbers properly.

• Upvote 1

Yeah but they still have about 1,500 on furlough. I can't figure out wtf is going on there.

What a fucked up industry.

My understanding is that furloughed pilots can turn down a recall and maintain furlough status. I'm no airline guy, so there is a high degree of likeliness that I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I heard it recently from a 14 year Delta guy. He said its not all that uncommon that a furloughed guy will have a better gig, so they may want to defer their return from furlough for as long as the airline will allow. This could account for the airlines that are hiring, yet still have furloughed pilots on the books.

There are around 500 or more of those furloughed United guys currently flying on the Continental side. All United furloughees were offered positions with Continental.

A-word

I used to be on that bandwagon, until I realized that making the max amount of money for the least amount of work while spending the rest of your time with your family is A OK. Try to make over 150K a year with the gubmint until you are 65, unless a 4 star or SES, ain't gonna happen.

What kool aid? I took the Bonus and will get out in three years. I will then go work for Boeing, be home, and make more than I do now with the Bonus.

Respect...

My bad, I can be an ass.

Edited by matmacwc

I stand corrected on United and US Air.....even though both airlines still have some folks on furlough. My bad. I stand by my statement that a 1st year FO making $97K is not likely.

It was in 2017 and based on the proposed pay scale... and it was $93K. And it is not for a wide body either...

Well, I'm giving it till the end of 2015 to get picked up by a major. Even if the flood gates never open and they aren't interesting in my 2200 PIC hours, anything is better than the absolute bullshit I have experienced on Active Duty the last 3 years. And it's sad that everything else can truly suck the fun and excitement out of flying a Hog at 100'.

Caveat - I do have a shitty attitude and I realize it's my fault for allowing the Air Force to ruin such a good thing...

The hiring boom hasn't kicked off but, ..., it will.

Kit Darby has been saying this for over a decade.

At some point, it will happen, and I'm sure he will say "See! I told you so!".

But don't hold your breath just yet.

Proposed. In 2017. That means absolutely nothing.

Actually, it does mean something: I believe this TA was voted on and approved by all parties. It is in effect. The 2017 pay scale is part of that.

Edited by Huggyu2

You guys are funny... "least amount of work"??? Gone 180 day a year?? There are lots of places you can make 150K a year and be home every night.

I think he's referring to the fact that flying an airliner is relatively easy work (it is). Also, when you're home, you don't even think about work, I know I don't. I don't know anyone that is gone 15 days/month (that doesn't want to be). Most of our guys bid reserve and sit on the porch while "working," rarely getting called.

We have quite a few part timers that are contractors or some sort of businessmen. Most of them are on the road quite a bit, they all seem to have platinum status... Also, when they're on a TDY, as soon as we get done with work, they're in their hotel room on the computer working their other job. A few of them have apps in at the airlines.

If you've found a job paying 150+ (in a place that doesn't have a ridiculous cost of living), that keeps you home every night, then more power to you. I'm not going to say the airlines are the end all, be all. I will always keep an ear to the ground for good gigs (outside of flying) out there. Just pointing out some observations I have seen in my little corner of the world.

Kit Darby has been saying this for over a decade.

Just give him your cash and he will get you first in line!!!

Edited by SocialD